Author Topic: Insane MPG  (Read 5796 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Insane MPG
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2020, 11:32:24 AM »
I think you'll find that modern inverter driven heat pumps tend to be more efficient than you indicate. Nissan decided it was worthwhile putting one in the Leaf https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/heat_pump_cabin_heater.html .

I've got an inverter driven aircon / heat pump for my conservatory (the equipment does both functions depending on whether the Heat or Cool button has been pressed) and on a cold day it draws about 600W and is more effective than a 2kW electric heater. Heating a car should require somewhat less than 600W.

This is what boats, motorhomes, caravans, lorry cabs etc use for heating

https://www.eberspacher.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/air-heating/products.html

I worked with a guy who used to buy broken ones, fix them up and sell them on ebay.  They are great,  use very little electrical power and consumption of diesel is also very small ( as low as 0.1 l/hr  for almost a KW of heat output.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »
Just ask about towing with an EV..  The range plummets. Totally impractical at present..

But no-one says so...

And imagine a traffic jam at night in winter being stuck for 12 hours at night.. which happens in parts of the UK.  There will be lots of EVs with frozen batteries and flat auxiliary batteries after using heating...

A lot of things about BEV are being hidden,  look at the 'time to 80%' figure in adverts,  they never say charging the battery over 80% damages it, as does discharging below 30%.  They never say fast charging damages the battery either,  or that leaving the battery standing on your driveway either discharged or at 100% charge will damage it.   Most people only look at the headline saving in fuel cost,  but that almost disappears if you use public chargers.  The initial cost of a new BEV is prohibitive for most people, and their depreciation is like a lead balloon which is good news for second hand buyers.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2020, 11:55:16 AM »
BEVs in Scotland are free to charge at ChargePlace chargers. There is a £20 annual fee for the card to access the system but that's it. There are now over 1,000 ChargePoint chargers.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2020, 07:42:01 PM »
I didn't realise the electric system needed its own cooling - I suppose it's obvious if high power motors and current involved to propel a car and all the weight. When you look at that photograph and all the complex tech squeezed into the engine bay it explains why the new Jazz is rated as insurance group 19 probably due to cost of repairs even in a modest front end bump.
There is the generator/motor on the end of the engine, the motor/generator connected to the wheels and all the power electronics to both convert the AC electricity between these two running at different speeds and handle the DC electricity going to/from the battery. I suspect that the primary need is to keep the box of electronics cool.

Mitsubishi spotted an opportunity in the market to bring in a tax scamming Outlander PHEV to attract business users where they get tax advantages of almost a BEV ( albeit with a limited range of about 18 miles from full charge ) but don't have to bother with the charging of that battery,  but as a couple of blokes I used to work with found out, about 30mpg without battery,  what the hell the company is paying fuel bills anyway and the driver gets tax advantage... and the environment / air quality gets nothing.
It's situations like that which killed the tax incentives for hybrids. Manufacturers and users are always one step ahead of those who make the rules. I would personally like a PHEV with enough range on battery to handle the shorter local trips.

Anyway, getting back on topic the fibometer today claimed a trip mpg of 81.8 mpg on a 60 mile rural A road trip with most of the driving between 40 and 50 mph. However, what really raised the mpg was about 10 miles behind a mobile crane at a steady 40mph.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: