Author Topic: Living with a Jazz Crosstar  (Read 16467 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Living with a Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2020, 09:48:12 PM »
More miles and another filling of the tank - see https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12364.msg86755#msg86755 .

Some points I have noticed:

- Sustaining 70mpg requires keeping the speed below about 55mph (or less if there's a head wind). The Crosstar isn't particularly aerodynamic with the roof rails, the extra ground clearance and the more angular nose all increasing drag. The normal Mk. 4 Jazz will be better at higher speeds (see the WLTP test cycle data).
- I noticed yesterday morning that the engine was running a few minutes into a journey with the battery on 70%, at which point the car would normally be running on battery. The outside temperate was 13C. I turned off the heater fan and the engine turned off a few seconds later. This is strong evidence that the engine is the source of cabin heating (ie no running the electrically-powered aircon in reverse as a heat pump) which is likely to result in an increase in the engine operation in cold weather.
- The car feels as if the engine needs about 10 minutes to warm up and run comfortably. Driving straight out onto a fast road with a cold engine hits the mpg. I've noticed this with my previous Hondas but suggests that there aren't special measures to help the engine get up to optimum temperature quickly.
- I've found there is a small footrest to the right of the accelerator pedal which provides somewhere to park the right foot when the hand brake is on.
- Overall, the hybrid system makes the vehicle feel much more sporty in terms of having instant acceleration than its looks (or the press reviews) suggest. The instant power gives me the confidence to get into a gap in traffic without inconveniencing the other vehicles.
- The engine noise is barely noticeable except during heavy acceleration or climbing a substantial hill at speed.

That's all I can remember at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:50:20 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
Re: Living with a Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2020, 10:21:29 PM »
Thanks it’s good to hear real world experiences.

Tags:

anything