Author Topic: Rear window defogger not working on my newly purchased jazz 1.4  (Read 1957 times)

doidge0

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 1.4 honda jazz
Rear window defogger not working on my newly purchased jazz 1.4
« on: October 03, 2020, 12:58:04 AM »
Hi this is my first post, the used car market in the UK for cheap cars has become quite expensive in my opinion.

So with a tight budget and wanting to get something reliable it would be German or Japanese and camchain or cambelt well enough miles on it.

When looking the jazz did catch my eye people said its quite a reliable car and a nice driver.

I found a 2006 black jazz with the 1.4 2 spark plug per cylinder engine.   Not sure if it's the sport trim but it's defiantly a higher level.

Took it for a test drive drove well     wheels slightly out of alignment  but everything was well.           It makes a noise when I remove my foot from the gas pedal but I've drove cars that have done that before.

I noticed the battery was quite old so when I settled on a price from 1100 to 900 I managed to haggle and get a warrantee for a few weeks on battery and alternator as I could see the battery was probably original.

Next day did not start they got me a new battery all good.

When I test drove it     it was a sunny day and not humid, tested everything, all good.

She has done quite a few miles 105,000 but apart from a few scratches looks quite new.

When the rain came I could see I had the dreaded sealent leak by water going into the spare compartment.

And when I put the rear window defogger on nothing, the button light came on.  I was a little confused by the symbols as it has the usual rear defogger symbol and something else, the drivers side mirror has one black line on it so no idea if it has a mirror defogger?

The trim level on the car seems to have all the whistles and bells. Retracting mirrors, electrical moving mirrors, 4 doors all electric windows, remote central locking, aux cable, air con.

I did check the fuse but it looks fine I can't see any cracks or damage to the grid and I took off the grid connectors and put them back on making sure they have a good fit.

Is this a common problem? That anyone has experienced?

The car has only had a few owners and is well looked after clean oil and mot history pass or fail just becouse of brake pads.

I would like to give it a full service and sort out the leak.    But I'm not going to buy 8 iridium or pltnum plugs.    The fuel filter seems to a difficult affair    I can't see In the history if its ever been changed.

Any advice on what I should do or look out for please let me know.

I also wanted to ask, does this car have a MAF sensor or just a Map sensor for air the air inlet

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Rear window defogger not working on my newly purchased jazz 1.4
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 07:58:54 AM »
Probably worth checking the fuse for the rear heated window. It's F9, in the inside fuse box, below and to the right of the steering wheel.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »
Also, if you have a multimeter, check the rear connectors for power to rule out the rear screen element
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
Forget the fuel filter. It never needs changing. Mine has done 130,000 miles on the original. The DSi engine uses standard plugs. I bought a set in July for £23. There is a relay for the rear screen heater so that could be faulty. Best is to check power to screen first then work back (as Kremmen advises).

doidge0

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 07:45:48 PM »
On my fuse box the rear heated window fuse is a on the inside box at position 12.  10 amp fuse.

Where is the relay for the rear window defogger?

And if looking at it from the boot what connection is poestive the right one or the left one.     

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Also how hard is it to seal up the leaks what do I have to remove?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »

Also how hard is it to seal up the leaks what do I have to remove?

Loads of threads on here about water in wheel well and what to do about it.  do a search for wheel well or water in wheel well
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
Sorry. There isn't a relay in the Mk 1 cct.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »
£900 !
Thats my monthly fuel bill !

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
Hi
Just confirming that this is the rear heater that is not working?

doidge0

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 03:04:50 AM »
Yes just the rear heater    but my button is the same as yours apart from it has another symbol on it maybe heated mirrors?

I did try wd40 and taking off and putting back on the clips a few times. No erosion at all when I first took it off.      I can't see any break in the grid but usual with a grid break only part of it works,    fuse is fine...

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 11:40:52 AM »
Did you notice the free workshop manual on this link for your model Jazz? may help with demist issue
Link > http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
If you have a multimeter (£8.98 from Amazon)

then remove the connectors and, with the heater switched on, check for 12 v across the connectors. If it is there, check the continuity of the heater (still with the wires disconnected). Should show a low value.
If there is no voltage it may be that switch is defective (does the light come on when you press the switch?).

Tags: