Author Topic: Guarantee  (Read 7333 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Guarantee
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »
Pity one can't play music on the CD or radio and have it BT to headphones though.

Are you seriously suggesting you would use headphones whilst driving ? I may be an old fogey, but not being able to hear what's going on around you doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.

I hope he means for his child sized relatives!

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »
Are you seriously suggesting you would use headphones whilst driving ? I may be an old fogey, but not being able to hear what's going on around you doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.
Personally, I agree it's desirable to be able to hear what's happening. However, plenty of drivers play loud music which one can hear from some distance away so they must be incapable of hearing any noises other than those through the speakers.
Arguably, this is a form of driving without due care and attention, as well as being a public nuisance.  I wonder if there have been any prosecutions?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 10:42:31 PM »
Our local police have been threatening to confiscate the cars of drivers causing a noise nuisance in car parks near residential areas.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 08:04:50 AM »
Personally, I agree it's desirable to be able to hear what's happening. However, plenty of drivers play loud music which one can hear from some distance away so they must be incapable of hearing any noises other than those through the speakers.
We are old fogey's together. But think about it: I do not play it loud and can hear outside quite well.Try it. Also I thus keep it to myself and do not subject others to booming noises. Second point so valid.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
Be careful if you drive abroad as it is illegal in some countries, France for example.  You can still be prosecuted in the UK for driving without due care and attention.

Personally I think you are just asking to get stopped.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
Be careful if you drive abroad as it is illegal in some countries, France for example.  You can still be prosecuted in the UK for driving without due care and attention.

Personally I think you are just asking to get stopped.

I agree.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
Me too.

That said, is it any different from having a 100 watt per channel audio system turned up to full blast? I'm somebody who has to turn the radio down if I'm going somewhere I don't know and have to apply additional concentration. Thought it was just me but apparently it's quite common!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
That said, is it any different from having a 100 watt per channel audio system turned up to full blast?
The effect is probably very similar but that doesn't mean it's sensible.

Wonder what the outcome would be if someone tried to take a driving test or IAM assessment whilst using headphones ?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »
I agree - both are potentially unsafe. Moving off topic (oops we already are!) we are plagued by nuisance cyclists round our way. A popular stunt is no hands, no helmet and headphones on. I could make a Darwinian argument about natural selection for these people but I won't.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2018, 01:59:04 PM »
Point taken. What about those who have loud music? Neither can they hear what's around them. Still seen a cop car lately? And unlikely a camera would pick it up.

Cyclists should get real. They take up the road to deliberately slow motorists down, think all motorists are going to notice them, shout and indicate obscenities if you get 'too' close and what's more don't seem to be on the lookout for themselves (I always glance behind when a vehicle approaches just to make sure it has noticed me and get ready to stop well in if necessary). And those that go along in the dark (and I mean also in shade during the day) with non contrasting clothes on are obviously on a suicide mission! That includes walkers too. Consideration all round works.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 02:51:25 PM »
That includes walkers too. Consideration all round works.
Dark clothes have been the 'fashion' for pedestrians for a couple of decades now. I remember a time when an ad-campaign was run to get people to wear bright clothing but it obviously fell on deaf ears. I don't know if it's idiocy of fashion or lack of thought but when I got out walking at night I wear something light coloured and preferably reflective.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
Many rural night time walkers in my area wear cycle lights front and back.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »
I would never walk a road at night without a 4GigaWatt flashing light front and rear!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »
Many rural night time walkers in my area wear cycle lights front and back.

Best place for reflective bands or strips is on the lower legs and arms, vehicle lights tend to shine low down and because the legs are moving the moving reflective bits are very noticeable, same for the wristbands as your arms swing as you walk. A hat with lights on also works well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: