Author Topic: Space saver wheel and best place to buy full size spare steel wheel  (Read 2161 times)

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
Hi all

Am new to ClubJazz - only picked up my 2019 '69' plate 1.3 Jazz S last Saturday.

Unfortunately, there isn't a spare wheel in the car (I've read some of the other posts on this) and the rear boot well doesn't appear deep enough for a steel space saver wheel - or am I wrong on this? (and neither is there a hole in the floor to screw it to).

As a consequence, I was thinking of buying a full size 15" steel spare wheel with tyre to keep at home and just carry the tyre repair kit with me on local journeys so that in an emergency I could get home via a temporary repair or the AA and have the punctured tyre changed straightaway (but then carry the full size spare wheel on long journeys away).

I've looked online and there are so many conflicting answers on the matter of steel wheels - some say I should use a genuine Honda steel wheel and others say that using other manufacturers is OK. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and if so, do you have a recommendation of where to buy a full size 15" steel wheel? I've seen websites for Cox Motor Parts and Honda Direct Parts - are these the best two? - or are there any others worth looking at? Should I just go to the local dealer?

I'm not averse to buying second-hand and will also be happy to buy one or two second hand steel wheels if unmarked and in good condition if anyone has some to sell.

Many thanks in advance.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: Space saver wheel and best place to buy full size spare steel wheel
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »
Welcome 2robbie2!

Honda changed the rear boot floor on the last of the mk3 Jazzes (sometime in 2019 I think). Can't remember exactly why but there has been previous posts about it, try a search and see what comes up.

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:39:38 AM by 2robbie2 »

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 11:52:06 PM »
Welcome 2robbie2!

Honda changed the rear boot floor on the last of the mk3 Jazzes (sometime in 2019 I think). Can't remember exactly why but there has been previous posts about it, try a search and see what comes up.

Yes I did do a bit of head scratching when I looked at the boot floor with the tape measure - will take a look through the posts you refer to - many thanks!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:39:25 AM by 2robbie2 »

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 07:38:43 AM »
If you don't buy a Honda wheel or one that has Honda rounded hole rim surfaces which will mate with your Honda nuts then you will need to buy standard straight edge 60 degree nuts and always remember to fit them with that wheel and that wheel only.

I would stick with second-hand Honda steel wheels regardless - there must be plenty about.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:19:04 AM by langserve »

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 09:38:39 AM »
If you don't buy a Honda wheel or one that has Honda rounded surfaces hole rim surfaces mate with the nuts then you will need to buy standard straight edge 60 degree nuts and always remember to fit them with that wheel and that wheel only.

I would stick with second-hand Honda steel wheels regardless - there must be plenty about.

Thank you so much for that - incredibly helpful advice & really appreciated - now got to do a but of searching!

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
I have a 69 plate Jazz like you.
I bought a space saver wheel off ebay and it stands aout 10mm proud and for me that's not a problem.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 11:49:57 PM »
I bought a space saver wheel off ebay and it stands out 10mm proud and for me that's not a problem.

That is incredibly helpful to know thank you - I will take a look at this again as I would feel a bit more comfortable & secure with a spare wheel in the car, even a space saver (I had a space saver on my first car and it got me out of a few tight spots!). 

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 07:34:56 AM »
I bought a space saver wheel off ebay and it stands out 10mm proud and for me that's not a problem.

That is incredibly helpful to know thank you - I will take a look at this again as I would feel a bit more comfortable & secure with a spare wheel in the car, even a space saver (I had a space saver on my first car and it got me out of a few tight spots!).

The other thing to bear in mind is that, without the central socket for the retaining bolt, you’ll need some other way to secure it in place. The flimsy boot floor won’t stop it becoming a missile in the event of a serious crash.

2robbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 01:12:59 PM »
Hi - good sound advice - I had read about the risks of the spare wheel not being tied down in another thread - I'll definitely seek to secure it properly in some way if I decide to purchase one. Many thanks.

Tags: