Author Topic: Petrol filter for mk2 Jazz  (Read 1240 times)

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
Petrol filter for mk2 Jazz
« on: January 14, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »
My Jazz 63 registration plate but not on road until 2014 has done 24k from new is in for service and I had a phone call to say petrol filter should be changed at 75k or 6 years at a cost of £139! I only use a standard unleaded fuel and have had no problems until now and declined the offer ( service already costing £430 ). I was told the tank has to be dropped down to change the filter hence high price. Am I being silly or should I have it done? This is a main dealer service - should I look for a local independent garage - if so any recommendations in Colchester area?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Petrol filter for mk2 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:06:46 PM »
I think you will find the majority of Jazzes are running about on their original fuel filter. My 2006 with 122,000 miles is. If the filter starts to block the fuel pressure drops. If this happens then it is time to change the filter. UK fuel is clean and modern tanks do not rust so there is little to cause a filter to get blocked.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
The Jazz filter is a large one situated under the handbrake,  petrol filters previous used to be fairly small and in the fuel line under the bonnet - the Jazz filter is a 'lifetime ' one - I bet even 2002 Jazz are still running around on original one, with a modern plastic fuel tank they do not rust and block the filter,  and it you are worried just put bottle of redex in the tank to remove any petrol residue from filter.  As far as I know the filter and pump are accessed from the top of tank by removing trim around handbrake lever - not by dropping the tank ( imagine dropping a tank full of fuel weighing 40kg+ ).

Likewise the Jazz auxiliary drive belt ( serpentine belt ) there is no fixed mileage or time to change it,  I tried to buy one at local Honda a few years ago and service manager said 'well we don't normally stock them,  will be a couple of days' and he asked how many miles the car had done ( just over 50,000 miles ) he said 'that's nothing - I have an Accord with 130,000 on the clock, still with original belt,  all we do is inspect for cracking across the belt and fraying along the edges'.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:32:32 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »
You have to remove the centre console, remove the handbrake lever, then remove an access panel. Fuel pump, filter and sender unit are then all accessible.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
My old Jazz, a 2003 1.4SE, which I sold on to a workmate is at about 90,000 miles, it is now happily doing a couple of thousand miles a month on the original fuel filter, I wouldn't change it unless you have issues with the fuel supply. As suggested redex is a good idea to help keep the fuel system clear.

Tags:

anything