Author Topic: Paint chips on wind screen surround (pillar). DIY repair?  (Read 2328 times)

Brian_I

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr
Paint chips on wind screen surround (pillar). DIY repair?
« on: October 06, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Looking for some advice.

Today I noticed a couple of paint chips on the windscreen surround on my 2013 (63) Honda Jazz.  I have no idea how this has happened, I don't recall any stone chips hitting  the screen...

Thankfully they just seem to be down to primer, rather than bare metal.  However some sort of repair would probably be an idea to stop it getting any worse.

Because of where the stone chips are on the body work, to do a proper repair would probably need windscreen out & rub down and reprime and respray. Sounds an expensive job, so can't afford to do that!

Perhaps a light rub down of the affected areas with wet and dry, then touch up using matched touch up pen with primer?  I wouldn't expect a show room finish, but has anyone had any luck doing a similar touch up by hand?

I've attached a photo of the damage below...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:30:54 PM by Brian_I »

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Paint chips on wind screen surround. DIY repair?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
Found some touch up paint in the garden shedde. Not the correct colour as it was for a previous car, but I've applied some of the primer touch up paint to the bare areas after gently wet and dry sanding any loose paint off.  Will source some matched touch up paint for the car. Hopefully the job will be a good un, at least standing 30 paces away with half shut eyes  :D

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Paint chips on wind screen surround (pillar). DIY repair?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 07:19:25 PM »
I'm just thinking aloud. Seems an awfy strange place for stone chips to occur, and for them to have removed paint in such a shape. Could it possibly be for some reason the wiper blade banging off the pillar when it's on high speed?

Tags: