Author Topic: Chain or Cam belt  (Read 2504 times)

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
Chain or Cam belt
« on: September 15, 2020, 12:21:04 PM »
Firstly thank you all who welcomed me to the Forum yesterday in the newbie section, much appreciated.

Sorry to raise the old chestnut but I haven't managed to find the answer browsing on here and there seems to be little specific info on Google.

Is the Mk3 2018 Navi chain or cambelt.

I've come here from Skoda Fabia of which I have had four different ones. The Mk2 1.2 tsi was chain driven and there was an issue on some cars of the chain stretching and tensioner wear.
I then went to a mk3 Fabia and that had a "long life" belt.
"Long Life" yes I know, surprise surprise they then issued a directive of 60k or 5 yrs at an eye watering £400/£500.

It's not a game changer but I'm hoping you are going to tell me Chain with no known problems ;D Cheers

Harry

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
Re: Chain or Cam belt
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
I believe a cam chain is fitted, so I intend to err on the side of caution and change the oil twice a year. Simple enough to do and I consider it cheap insurance.
I think some of these chain issues are caused by the manufacturers extended service intervals. BMW seem to suffer a lot of cam chain problems, it's alleged that this may be down to the extended oil change intervals and the stop/start technology.
I think therefore I'm not.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 01:12:19 PM »
Firstly thank you all who welcomed me to the Forum yesterday in the newbie section, much appreciated.

Sorry to raise the old chestnut but I haven't managed to find the answer browsing on here and there seems to be little specific info on Google.

I've come here from Skoda Fabia of which I have had four different ones. The Mk2 1.2 tsi was chain driven and there was an issue on some cars of the chain stretching and tensioner wear.
"Long Life" yes I know, surprise surprise they then issued a directive of 60k or 5 yrs at an eye watering £400/£500.

It's not a game changer but I'm hoping you are going to tell me Chain with no known problems ;D Cheers

Harry

As you are finding things out about your new car have a look at this, you might find it interesting, it's a Honda press release for your model (and mine)

https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/cars/media/pressreleases/58326/2015-jazz

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:17:17 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Happyarry

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »

Harry

As you are finding things out about your new car have a look at this, you might find it interesting, it's a Honda press release for your model (and mine)

https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/cars/media/pressreleases/58326/2015-jazz
Thank you so much for that link, It's so helpful. Amazing the stuff the EX is loaded with. I've bookmarked the link for reference. Cheers.

Harry

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
If you want a PDF copy of the owners manual for your Jazz then have a look at this link Harry.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals.html
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:47:17 PM »
It's a chain cam engine in the MK3, never heard of any chain issues in Honda's unless they've done massive mileages. The yearly oil change intervals obviously helps.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »
Regular oil changes should ensure no wear or problems, nothing to worry about.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 08:58:08 PM »
Regular oil changes should ensure no wear or problems, nothing to worry about.
All our Jazz should have the Oil Control System activated, so the car will tell when oil has to be changed.
Just follow it...

Tags: