Author Topic: Motor way noise  (Read 4562 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Motor way noise
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »
It could be one tyre that is at fault. When I first got my Volvo S40 it was very noisy. I discovered that one of the tyres had a twist to it. Must have been in the steel belts. Tyre fitter spotted it right away, I replaced it and had no further noise problems.
I run my Jazz with elevated tyre pressures, front and back, and it is no noisier than at recommended pressures, just a little firmer ride.

guest4871

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »
It could be one tyre that is at fault. When I first got my Volvo S40 it was very noisy. I discovered that one of the tyres had a twist to it. Must have been in the steel belts. Tyre fitter spotted it right away, I replaced it and had no further noise problems.
I run my Jazz with elevated tyre pressures, front and back, and it is no noisier than at recommended pressures, just a little firmer ride.

Interesting.

Original post States "Current tyres are 3 dunlop sp sport 2030  and one is hankook they all look new.".

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »
So we let some air just over 2 bar and SURPRISE it is a different car. So smooth and so different n quieter. 

But then air pressure sensor poped up in dash so went and inflate tyres as per recommendation and the Noise is back terrible.
As others have hinted, after adjusting the tyre pressures you need to tell the system to recalibrate.

Also, that Hankook tyre might be part of the problem. Google for "Hankook tyre noise".
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »
So we let some air just over 2 bar and SURPRISE it is a different car. So smooth and so different n quieter. 

But then air pressure sensor poped up in dash so went and inflate tyres as per recommendation and the Noise is back terrible.
As others have hinted, after adjusting the tyre pressures you need to tell the system to recalibrate.

Also, that Hankook tyre might be part of the problem. Google for "Hankook tyre noise".

In this day and age I cannot think why makers fit noisy tyres as original equipment ( although it probably comes down to a few pence on the cost ) - many a potential buyer has been put off by a road test that mentions road noise,  and it is so easy to avoid - plenty of quiet tyres out there.  My brother had a 8th Gen Civic and his one and only complaint was road noise,  fitted different tyres and it was a different car.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2003
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2020, 08:16:59 AM »
Update: returned the car to dealer yesterday. Wrote a letter to manager asking for full refund as I only been in the car for few hours and it's unreasonable to deduct £1000

Will see what happens today. For me if it was noise only I could live with it but pressure felt it in my ears.

I bought a car as my old 2003 jazz leaking from everywhere and beyond economical repair.

Will check for another car . Now thinking luxes audi or mercedes

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
This debate had me looking at the "official" ratings on a number of tyres. I just wonder how reliable these ratings actually are. The Dunlop 2030s have a similar decibel rating to Michelin Energy Savers but the latter are a significantl amount quieter from my own experience.

Some of the cheap "budget" ditchfinders have high ratings for performance in the wet and dry but actual tyre tests done by various consumer and motoring organisations show many of them to be almost dangerous.

Is this a case of "self certification"? If so, it's a disgrace.

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
This debate had me looking at the "official" ratings on a number of tyres. I just wonder how reliable these ratings actually are. The Dunlop 2030s have a similar decibel rating to Michelin Energy Savers but the latter are a significantl amount quieter from my own experience.

Some of the cheap "budget" ditchfinders have high ratings for performance in the wet and dry but actual tyre tests done by various consumer and motoring organisations show many of them to be almost dangerous.

I agree with you 💯. The rating means nothing. Its  a shame though

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »
Just had my Civic in for MOT and service and was lent a Mk3 Jazz as a loan car, on leaving the garage I am straight on to a national speed limit dual carriageway for ten miles I increased speed to 70 mph and more or less immediately thought I could not live with the noise for any length of time, I am not sure whether it was tyre or  engine noise or both combined but it rather extinguished any possibility of going back to a jazz after the Civic.

Edit :-  This Civic now been part exchanged for a 2020 Civic EX. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 04:14:48 PM by Hobo »

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
Just had my Civic in for MOT and service and was lent a Mk3 Jazz as a loan car, on leaving the garage I am straight on to a national speed limit dual carriageway for ten miles I increased speed to 70 mph and more or less immediately thought I could not live with the noise for any length of time, I am not sure whether it was tyre or  engine noise or both combined but it rather extinguished any possibility of going back to a jazz after the Civic.

Exactly that is my point. Can imagine driving the car for 6 hours drive from London to somewhere up north !

Did it feel like airplane taking off landing ? Did you feel pressure in your ears as well?

Thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »

I agree with you 💯. The rating means nothing. Its  a shame though

Funnily enough the noise rating is for people outside the car, not inside.  Road surface makes such a huge difference to noise level,  I wonder if they have a 'standard' road surface to test the tyres ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2020, 07:51:38 PM »
Funnily enough the noise rating is for people outside the car, not inside.  Road surface makes such a huge difference to noise level,  I wonder if they have a 'standard' road surface to test the tyres ?
Yes, the reference surface for the tyre certification noise test shall be according to ISO 10844.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »
Exactly that is my point. Can imagine driving the car for 6 hours drive from London to somewhere up north !

Did it feel like airplane taking off landing ? Did you feel pressure in your ears as well?

Thanks
There must be something different about the car compared to mine.  In the last fortnight I have driven from Suffolk to Newcastle-upon-Tyne and back, and I am now in Cumbria.  Good quiet journeys all the time on motorways and dual carriageways.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:02:50 PM by Downsizer »

Tags: