Author Topic: Weather forecast.  (Read 1617 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Weather forecast.
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:45 AM »
I imagine most of you will have noticed the BBC has changed its weather forecasting service. After years of taking their forecast from the Met Office they have now changed to MeteoGroup, a commercial forecasting company. I have the Met Office forecast for this part of Kirkcaldy bookmarked, and I noticed that there was large discrepancies between it and what the BBC was forecasting. I have now started opening up the BBC forecast for my post code, along side the Met Office forecast for it. and it has been chalk and cheese. So far the Met Office forecast has been spot on, to within about an hour, but the MeteoGroup forecast, supplied by the BBC, seems to be for someplace else entirely. Wonder if this is a BBC cost cutting exercise? Or perhaps it is just more "misinformation" from the BBC.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Weather forecast.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »
I always look at met office forecast, it is normally very accurate for up to a week ahead. BBC (biased broadcasting corporation) obviously does not care that it pays its staff more than our prime minister earns, and from licence payers money as well (legalised extortion).  It thinks saving a few quid to get a cheaper weather forecast is good budgeting - what a bunch.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »
Nothing to do with weather forecasting but to do with the BBC and it's antics. My Brother sends me videos made by the BBC for the rest of the World. He lives in Canada. The other day, he sent me one, which when I tried to download was blocked by the BBC as it was not licensed  to be shown in the UK. Funny I thought the money for the Beeb came from the British taxpayer. So they are trying to save money on weather forecasting, also on some of their programs as well it seems. As far as I know the program blocked was not subscription and it's the first time it has happened.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »
The other day, he sent me one, which when I tried to download was blocked by the BBC as it was not licensed  to be shown in the UK.
Not blocked by the BBC, but by the rights holder in Canada, or wherever it originated from.

By the way, I'm no fan of the BBC, or the TV tax either.

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »
What was written on my computer screen suggested as it had BBC in large letters that it was in fact the BBC. My Brother picks them up on the BBC channel there.

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 04:03:14 PM »
BBC Worldwide is a commercial enterprise that feeds profits back to the UK. Despite what rival media organisations may say BBC salaries are mostly below the sector average.  http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bbc-salaries-comparisons-itv-channel-4_uk_596f655be4b0a03aba868b4f

"BBC Worldwide is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). We exist to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf.
In 2016/17, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £157.3m and headline sales of £1,059.9m and returned £210.5m to the BBC."

Think I preferred the tilted map as there are proportionally less people interested in how cold/wet/windy the Highlands are going to be. ::)
--
TG

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
What was written on my computer screen suggested as it had BBC in large letters that it was in fact the BBC. My Brother picks them up on the BBC channel there.

If it was from one of the Canadian BBC subscription channels, they are owned and operated by a various third party companies. BBC Worldwide license the use of the BBC brand and the programme rights to them, but only for use within Canada.

Sadly, the fact that we've already paid for it all once doesn't count.

Tags:

anything