Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172619 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »
I think it's going to pan out with the Mk3 CVT being, give or take, about 10% better than the Mk2 manual. Reasonably content with that.
That mirrors my experience over 20,000 miles.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
Min peaked this year at 56mpg (mainly rural, some urban rush hour) back in May. But since the glorious summer weather really began to bite the figure has dropped. Last fill was 53mpg which is presumably the cost of the air conditioning. It always amuses when me I set off and the climate control starts winding up the fan. Takes it about five minutes before it starts to let it drop back from full speed.

I still don't think the Honda cabin air flow is as good as Nissan's. I'm sure my last Nissan (an Almera) rarely took more than five minutes to get the cabin temperature down whereas the Jazz can take ten minutes before it stops feeling hot and sometimes the fan is still going strong twenty minutes later as I arrive home.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:24:09 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2018, 06:06:32 PM »
Min peaked this year at 56mpg (mainly rural, some urban rush hour) back in May. But since the glorious summer weather really began to bite the figure has dropped. Last fill was 53mpg which is presumably the cost of the air conditioning. It always amuses when me I set off and the climate control starts winding up the fan. Takes it about five minutes before it starts to let it drop back from full speed.

I still don't think the Honda cabin air flow is as good as Nissan's. I'm sure my last Nissan (an Almera) rarely took more than five minutes to get the cabin temperature down whereas the Jazz can take ten minutes before it stops feeling hot and sometimes the fan is still going strong twenty minutes later as I arrive home.

Try Australian routine, Aircon on full cold, fan on full speed, recirc on. When the car cools down recirc off and set the aircon and fan to a comfortable level. The Aussies turn the Aircon off if it is a short journey to allow the car to warm a bit so no thermal shock when they get out. If you have climate control, tough, you have Honda's set up, like it or not. I never turn my Aircon off.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:13:02 PM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
Yeah the climate control automatically activates recirc mode. I leave mine set at 19 degrees, auto most of the time. Over winter I select 'screen and feet' for the vents though because the CC isn't very clever about reducing condensation. It starts off blowing at the windscreen but goes back to cabin within a minute. Unsurprisingly the screen starts misting up almost immediately after that.

Robbie MkII

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC SportNavi 2018
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:40 PM »
Update:  I have today checked mpg after an 850-mile trip to Scotland (and a week's worth of buzzing about) AND a weekend to London (that's around another 400 miles) with a little local driving in between.

Around half will have been almost fully-laden at legal ( well, 'ish' ) motorway speeds with the rest a mix of 60/70 'A' roads, rural and congestion (A1 roadworks, M25 etc.).
I'm no Jenson Button, using the power available as and when needed rather than for sheer hooliganism.
Well, mostly.  ;)
Remember too that this is a manual 1.5 - and it's a babe yet with only 2,400 on the clock so it hasn't even fully loosened up yet.

Have I built enough suspense?
Okay, brim-to-brim over 1400 miles = 46.15 mpg
Without "trying", so I'm mightily impressed.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
Definitely a hooligan, I got 48 on a similar trip when my 1.5 was nearly new. ;D

See my post back a page. Maybe you did more running around than me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:24:27 PM by Skyrider »

Robbie MkII

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC SportNavi 2018
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah.  ::)
It  was all the short stop-start trips and stationary in traffic wot dun it otherwise it would have been 50 EASY!  ;D

Seriously though, in a similar trip in our Seat Mii (60bhp 3-cyl) but with less weight on board we only managed just under 50mpg (car average 50.8) so I'm impressed.

Like many who buy the Sport I suppose, we don't buy it for the economy and if I hadn't had my interest piqued by this thread I might not even have checked.
But I reckon in normal use (25-odd miles per day on mostly winding country roads with plenty gear changes on the many tight bends) I will see nigh-on 50mpg, which is within a gnats of what my 02 Jazz SE Sport used to do.
I will keep this thread updated of course but to me that's really very good for this. For example I couldn't see the competition (what there is of it, not mentioning names) getting close to that.

The real bonus is the look on would-be hooligan drivers faces as you leave them standing.
 8)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah.  ::)
The real bonus is the look on would-be hooligan drivers faces as you leave them standing.
 8)

I have noticed that too, you can almost hear them thinking "A Jazz shouldn't do that!" or words to that effect!  :o
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:02:07 AM by Skyrider »

Sidot

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »
Took car back for trade in for Jazz SE CVT.
Didn't want to change but had to get an automatic owing to worsening arthritis in left leg.
Anyway.....drew a line under my petrol book for this car and the details are......
16754 miles covered
401.78 gallons used
Resultant mpg = 41.69

Mileage is mainly urban, with three driving holidays and some long distance runs.

Works out about four mpg better than previous Mk2 1.2 engine.

Interestingly petrol cost when had the car £1.03 per gallon price now £1.29.
An increase of 21% !!

Is there no end to spiralling fuel prices ?

Hoping for similar or better mpg on CVT.

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2018, 06:34:39 PM »
From Honest Johns weekly email newsletter (received today 30 Aug 2018)

"The Honda Jazz 1.3-litre petrol has proven to be a Real MPG winner in August, averaging at 97 per cent of its official economy. That means Real MPG drivers get at least 53mpg on the road - just a couple of points short of the advertised 54-55mpg..."

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
From Honest Johns weekly email newsletter (received today 30 Aug 2018)

"The Honda Jazz 1.3-litre petrol has proven to be a Real MPG winner in August, averaging at 97 per cent of its official economy. That means Real MPG drivers get at least 53mpg on the road - just a couple of points short of the advertised 54-55mpg..."

What planet is he on? OK I have had 60mpg on a long quiet motorway journey, but in real life day to day use, no way.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2018, 09:27:10 PM »
I remember looking at the Honest John Website where they collect data for real life mpg. Last time I looked they asked you to record what the onboard computer shows which is, usually, around 5 mpg optimistic so the figures on that site are almost worthless.

Just filled up incidentally. 42.3 mpg only mostly urban cycle type driving. Overall I'm showing 44.4. I'm quite happy with that given that my average speed is about 18 mph showing that nearly all my motoring is in heavy traffic.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
Mine has settled in the low 40s mpg for daily running about, as with most cars it is better on a long run.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:28:33 PM by Skyrider »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »
My average speed with my Mk 1 is 30 mph, 30 mph, 27 mph and 30 mph (recorded over the last 4 tankfuls).

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2018, 07:32:07 AM »
I remember looking at the Honest John Website where they collect data for real life mpg. Last time I looked they asked you to record what the onboard computer shows which is, usually, around 5 mpg optimistic so the figures on that site are almost worthless.
And of course the folks who bother to report will be those who are pleased with their MPG so the figures will have a natural optimistic bias.

Tags: