Author Topic: Good quality polish  (Read 13845 times)

guest5079

Good quality polish
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:05:01 PM »
Gave the car a wash and was surprised how much shine there is. Used a bit of polish on a section that looked dull and hey presto.
What is the best polish?  I have the usual stuff. I bought some with liquid canuba? wax and it separated in the cold and became useless, so I presume a paste type would be better.
Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Good quality polish
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:24:11 PM »
I use Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax. I had been researching "Best Car Polish" and it was the second best (previous year's winner). However I was unable to get the winner so I tried the Bilt Hamber and it is brilliant. It is a paste, which you use very sparingly (so lasts ages) and is very easy to polish off. I polish the car at the start of spring and give it a less thorough polish just before the winter (so roughly every six months) and it keeps an amazing shine. Particularly for a car approaching 12 years of age.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TKBOE3Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And, as far as I am aware, they are a British Company

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:37:21 PM »
+1 for Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax.

Very easy to use and very durable compared to the old waxes of yore. It is just a wax though and if the paint is dull it won't do a great deal. For that you need something with a cleaner in it like Autoglym Super Resin Polish. This also protects as well but not for as long as a pure wax or sealant.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »
I'm still using the Autoglym box of tricks that was supplied new with my old Subaru, as a after thought  the car wash - green liquid - always get good responses from car owners when |I've finished  - not this weather though.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Yes, preperation is everything. I like to Clay the car for its springtime clean.
I see the Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax is now Auto Express' best Wax and Sealant for 2017 AND 2018 (best 2015, second 2016).
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/63776/best-car-wax-and-car-polish

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
One thing I've often wondered is the difference, in the effect it has on the car's paint, between clay bars and, say, an all in one product like AG Super Resin Polish. The reason I say that is going right back to the days when I used Turtle Wax original - a product that contained cleaners and a protective element. Using a white cloth you would see clear evidence of dirt being removed on the applicator. Clearly the cleaners were removing contaminants.

Detailing clay is a relatively new concept. Going way back, my Dad used to use simonize polish and simonize wax. The polish did the cleaning bit, the wax the protection.

I think what I'm asking is this - do you really need to clay your car or isn't this just adding another step in the process? Not having a go at clay but we managed without it before and cars could still be got to a high state of shine.

Interested in arguments pro and con.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 08:38:38 PM »
I use clay and wax. Still just two processes.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
AutoGlym super resin polish seems to work well (although I only clean my cars once a year or less, and as peteo48 says if you use a clean cloth you can see it taking dirt and oxidation off paint) - it works really well on UPVC window frames though to remove discolouration caused by spider poo and general sun and weather,   which is where most of it gets used at our house (oh and fairly regularly on clear plastic headlight covers to keep the dreaded discolouring of plastic at bay).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
Found this. Quite interesting.
The original inventor of the polymer detailing clay is Mister Tadao Kodate, a japanese scientist who was looking for a safe way to remove contaminants from bodywork without using harsh chemicals or polishing compounds. The original clay bar was introduced in America in the early 1990’s by Auto Wax Company. When Dennis Dehn – a Auto Wax Consultant – was hired by Auto Wax Company to demonstrate the AWC products in Japan. When showing the products in a detailing competition he used a compound to get the paintwork smooth and clean. When he look beside him, he saw the other competitor using some type of putty with a spray liquid, rubbing the paint.
The first company to patent the detailing clay was Auto Wax Company (later called: Auto Magic), who held the patent for detailing clay until 2014. 9 out of 10 clay bars sold were manufactured by Auto Magic under the brand name Clay Magic.

Clay bars are supposedly gentler on the modern paint and lacquer finishes. The old cellulose paint was much harder and could take chemical cleaning.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
Yes - I've seen some people go from clay straight to wax. Guess I've always been a bit nervous of it thinking I'll end up picking up crud in the clay and scratching the paint with it.

Interesting post Jocko - didn't know who had invented it (not the clay so much as its use for cleaning).

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 06:04:32 AM »
A block of Blu Tac, the size of a clay bar, would be about 10 times the price!

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »
Thanks for the help. Interesting that Auto Glym has slipped down the list. I am a great advocate of Auto Glym but the reason I asked for help is that the Auto Glym seemed not to be as good as it used to be. The polish I spoke of was a liquid with 'Canuba' wax which did work very well until I suppose the frost got to it. Our Jazz is painted in Alabaster Silver which doesn't give such a good  result as the 'Blues' etc. I know it's optical. I have tried claying in the past but obviously didn't do it right. What is the secret?
Once again thanks

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »
A block of Blu Tac, the size of a clay bar, would be about 10 times the price!

Going round to see my granddaughter later. Might see if I can pinch some of her playdough ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »
What is the secret?
Jazzway will keep you right on that, but I just use plenty water, keep reforming the block to keep the surface clean, and work small areas at a time. The detailers use a wash prior to claying, to remove iron particles from the paintwork (mainly from brake dust). Iron-X is oftern mentioned.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarPro-Iron-500ml-Retail-pack/dp/B008AV7V8K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519640480&sr=8-5&keywords=iron-x
The Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax uses Carnauba wax.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TKBOE3Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags: