Author Topic: Dreadful ride - any way to improve?  (Read 13436 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Dreadful ride - any way to improve?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Following ZZAJ's comment about extra weight in the back, I have added the steel spare wheel, that I had lying in the garage, together with a quite heavy toolbox and I have to say, the ride is significantly better.

So far I have not noticed any real difference in fuel consumption, maybe 1 or 2 mpg, which I am prepared to accept in the interest of  a smoother ride.

Have driven from Solihull to Stratford on Avon, along the A3400, (50mph max limit) this afternoon and recorded 62.4 mpg going out and 58.9 on return, both indicated figures, ( well, it is downhill to the river) which is really no different to running without the extra load, so for the moment the load will stay.

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ Mk4 Crosstar EX
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »
I recently carried a passenger in the front of the car on several occasions and it resulted in a significant improvement in the ride. Both passengers commented on how smooth and comfortable it was (to my surprise). Stability also seemed to improved making country roads fun to drive along.  Smooth surfaces are never a problem without passengers but seams and pot holes are an issue as they thump and echo through the cabin...boink, boink, boink !, presumably because the car is so lightweight and the chassis is now stiffer than they used to be. My previous Corolla had a more cosseted ride on poor surfaces but stability and body roll felt less confident than the Jazz.

The benefit of low weight may be good economy (average 54 mpg since new). At 5000 miles the car may also just about be run-in ?

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GD 1.4 Sport
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »
Have you tried another vehicle over the same route as you take/commute?
As noted by forum members changing to Honda Jazz 15"" wheels will help as would tyres with more rubber ie 60 or 65 profile.
Take a look at mytyres.co.uk for steel wheels all weather combo for you Jazz

Yes we have covered the route in a GD Jazz regularly. Since I last posted I've dropped the rear tyre pressures down to 30psi from 32 and it's surprising how much difference it's made.

Still not as comfy as the GD is ride wise but much more bearable. I nearly bought a set of 15s to try on it recently but might not bother now.

Would still like to know what the mythical changes made to the phase two GE that supposedly improve both ride and handling were - someone has posted about Si spec elsewhere in this thread but that all sounds like something that'll result in a stiffer ride rather a more supple one.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Dreadful ride - any way to improve?
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 01:50:58 AM »
I can't compare the ride with our GG Jazz with other or earlier models. And i won't lie that after 15+ years an overly comfy (the ride) French car it was a little getting used to with the Jazz. ;) But when i drove an exact same French car a few months ago after 20 months, i was glad i could step in our Jazz again. It is really comfy to be honest — ours: Michelin green ES 175/65 R15 at 2.2 bar rear and 2.3 bar front (33, 34 psi), a space saver in the boot and a 20 kg dog crate in the middle.

I am not sure about wear and tear at 30psi, but it seems to low to me and will cost you tyres. I think i would go to 15" wheels...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:53:50 AM by jazzway »

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
Hi

This is our first Honda, jazz si so I cannot compare to other jazz models, but the ride is excellent. The only real thing more noticeable is road noise to other cars I have driven. However, it is not over powering and is more likely due to road surfaces at the time

I do have to say, the car feels very stable, does not roll too much when cornering and is a pleasure to drive (manual 5 speed). The longest single trip completed was 560miles in a day and the cruise control /air con is a blessing.

I am not a mechanic and our car is standard.

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 10:19:02 AM »
The only real thing more noticeable is road noise to other cars I have driven. However, it is not over powering and is more likely due to road surfaces at the time

I do have to say, the car feels very stable, does not roll too much when cornering and is a pleasure to drive

Road noise can easily be improved by choice of tyres (decibel rating is specified of tyres these days,  and although it refers to noise heard by people outside the car, it has a correlation to noise heard inside the car),  that is why when Jazz gets tested the only thing most journalists could comment on negatively was road noise - why don't Honda specify quieter tyres as OEM

Duuuhhhh !
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »
Hi culzean

Many thanks. Sorry I did not know and the si is still currently on its original tyres.

The noise is acceptable but may try different tyres as you say.

I usually like to keep same as factory fit on cars, due to not been a mechanic and  a believe that Honda would have tested all aspects, and specified correct parts. Probably totally wrong thinking, which is why I will keep the 185 tyres and not move to 175.

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
Hi culzean

Many thanks. Sorry I did not know and the si is still currently on its original tyres.

The noise is acceptable but may try different tyres as you say.

I usually like to keep same as factory fit on cars, due to not been a mechanic and  a believe that Honda would have tested all aspects, and specified correct parts. Probably totally wrong thinking, which is why I will keep the 185 tyres and not move to 175.

Many thanks

John

My wife's GE Si has a better, quieter ride on the 175/65R15 Nokian WR-D3 winter tyres than the Bridgestone summer tyres.  Also on mytyres.co.uk it is almost as cheap to buy new 175/65R15 of a decent quality fitted to new alloys than to pay full price for the hard to find 185/55R16 that the car comes with (and you will save quite a bit of money on your next set of 175/65 compared with 185/55 and have a lot more choice), and ride will undoubtedly improve and be quieter with 175 tyres. I am tempted to leave winters on all year,  as they have already gone through 2 x 6 month winters on the car and showing little sign of wear.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:14:56 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
My GD has Firestone Multihawk 2 tyres which are rated 8/10 for noise. I have 175/65T14 tyres on steel wheels and I have no concerns about road noise at all. Even coming from the Volvo S40 I didn't find an unpleasant increase in road noise. In fact, if I turn my hearing aid right down they are whisper quiet (JOKE).

FredS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 jazz EX Navi manual
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2017, 02:07:07 PM »
My friend has a 2014 Jazz (she does not know the spec. facelift mk2) with 16 inch alloy wheels fitted with Dunlop SP sport 2030 tyres.

I have a 2016 mk3 jazz ex navi with 16 inch alloy wheels fitted with bridgestone turanza er370 tyres.

Both sets of tyres are 185/55R16 83H.

We both agree the ride is more comfortable in her car than mine with two people onboard.

The ride on my car is very hard but improves greatly when fully loaded.

FredS

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
I suppose that the lighter the car the more the effect of occupants will have on the ride. Two adults in a Jazz will have more of an effect than two adults in a Humvee.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
I suppose that the lighter the car the more the effect of occupants will have on the ride. Two adults in a Jazz will have more of an effect than two adults in a Humvee.

Spot on - The trouble with a light car is it is hard to get plush suspension as 5 adults and a full boot can add over 40% to weight of car LOL

Normally you get better suspension in a heavier car but you pay for it in increased fuel costs lugging the weight around every journey.

Maybe do away with springs and use air suspension with variable pressure for different car loading - but then probably higher maintenance costs.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:40:59 PM by culzean »

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 07:33:26 AM »
I suppose what car you come from will effect your perception. We traded from a VW Polo, which we'd always rated as good, to the Jazz EX and they are lightyears apart. The Jazz is like a mini-limo. Quiet inside, very little to no wind or road noise and a superb ride. Makes the Polo seem like a tractor now.

After 4 years of ownership we traded up from a 2008 to 2012 EX, identical in every way (other than amber minor instrumentation - horrible) and fell in love with the Jazz all over again.

Such brilliant use of space. Every three weeks I run a slot car club and was contiually tailoring what I took to fit in the Polo. With the Jazz there was so much more space it took several meetings to find the best way to pack stuff without if floating around loose!

Ride? Full or empty it knocks anything else we've had into a cocked hat. I guess we're lucky in our perceptions  8)

Oh - and the engine's so quiet I used to try and start an already running car. Now if the ignitions on I tap the throttle to see if the revs rise, or even switch off and go through the start procedure again to avoid embarrassment.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:36:10 AM by TopDown »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »
I suppose what car you come from will effect your perception. We traded from a VW Polo, which we'd always rated as good, to the Jazz EX and they are lightyears apart. The Jazz is like a mini-limo. Quiet inside, very little to no wind or road noise and a superb ride. Makes the Polo seem like a tractor now.

After 4 years of ownership we traded up from a 2008 to 2012 EX, identical in every way (other than amber minor instrumentation - horrible) and fell in love with the Jazz all over again.

Such brilliant use of space. Every three weeks I run a slot car club and was contiually tailoring what I took to fit in the Polo. With the Jazz there was so much more space it took several meetings to find the best way to pack stuff without if floating around loose!

Ride? Full or empty it knocks anything else we've had into a cocked hat. I guess we're lucky in our perceptions  8)

Oh - and the engine's so quiet I used to try and start an already running car. Now if the ignitions on I tap the throttle to see if the revs rise, or even switch off and go through the start procedure again to avoid embarrassment.

That is a problem with us humans, whatever you give us we are always looking for something better instead of just being grateful they don't have to walk everywhere.  Our expectations more than keep pace with technology.

guest6425

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
I don't agree with the noise levels, not at highway speeds anyway, it gets really noisy because no 6th gear, that aside it's ok though.

Tags:

anything