Author Topic: Are fog lights worth adding?  (Read 36215 times)

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
Re: Are fog lights worth adding?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »
So do they have utility after all? I did some driving tonight on a mountain road near my place. At the beginning of the video you can see me switch the fogs on and off (with high beam on) before deciding they were useful as they fill the gap between high beam and the front of the car. In the city it won't be useful at all but on a narrow twisty not well marked road like this I think they help. Especially as they are not angled to the left like the main beams. Anyway have a look and decide for yourselves.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:34:53 PM by langserve »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »
Anything that appears in that gap between the front of the car and the start of the headlights is what you are about to hit or you should have already seen it in the headlights.

Vic.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »
That video defenitely confirms there is something wrong with my front fog lights. In my Jazz the illuminated area on the road is so short you cannot see it on front of the car unless leaning forward. I'll go and visit the dealer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:31:05 AM by TnTkr »

langserve

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 04:22:13 AM »
Anything that appears in that gap between the front of the car and the start of the headlights is what you are about to hit or you should have already seen it in the headlights.

Vic.

That's true. Somehow it feels a bit safer though - perhaps it is just psychological. Maybe at low speed on hairpins it is useful to see the sides of the road near the car?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 05:56:52 AM »
That's true. Somehow it feels a bit safer though - perhaps it is just psychological. Maybe at low speed on hairpins it is useful to see the sides of the road near the car?

Yes, that's the case at low speed and for example in suburban areas.

On highway and country roads then it's a different case. The bright close area makes it harder to see far, where you try to see with the high beam. I have LED headlights on my Jazz and I feel the high beam headlights are below the average when compared to the great low beam headlights. The high beam is not as long as it could be, and it is both narrow and shallow. When the road is winding and hilly, the narrow beam is pointing outside the road or just bottom of the dip leaving uphill in dark. I assume the high-beams cannot be adjusted individually to aim higher and wider.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »
You do realise that it is against the Highway Code to use front and/or rear fog lights in good visibility (rule 226).  You can be fined £30.00.

Of course I realise that neither of you are in the UK.  But just saying.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 08:05:37 AM »
There are rules limiting the use of fog lights to wet, rain, fog or snow also here in Finland, but because the purpose of the limitation is to prevent blinding other drivers, it does not apply if there is no other traffic. And I am driving also outside of public roads, where road traffic legislation does not apply.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:07:27 AM by TnTkr »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 08:19:41 AM »
So do they have utility after all? I did some driving tonight on a mountain road near my place.
I hope you don't mind me being curious, but in which part of Japan are you living? After visiting couple of times in Japan for business (and hoping for next visit when COVID situation allows) I've became a big fan of Japan.

langserve

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »
You do realise that it is against the Highway Code to use front and/or rear fog lights in good visibility (rule 226).  You can be fined £30.00.

Of course I realise that neither of you are in the UK.  But just saying.

Yes. But if you were driving along a deserted mountain track you might not have to worry too much about that rule if the lights were useful to you.

langserve

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 11:38:54 AM »
I hope you don't mind me being curious, but in which part of Japan are you living? After visiting couple of times in Japan for business (and hoping for next visit when COVID situation allows) I've became a big fan of Japan.

No, that's fine. I live in Mie Prefecture sort of between Nagoya, Nara, Kyoto, Kobe and Osaka. Honda is our local carmaker with their huge plant and track at Suzuka. Nagoya is our local airport and Finnair our airline of choice to Europe - Helsinki (and Nagoya too actually) is a little gem of an airport and Finnair is a brilliant airline. I am constantly amazed by how much great quality stuff Finland produces for itself. Brilliant. We stopover in Helsinki sometimes - the food is seriously good as is the shopping. One of these days we will go and check out the cabins, saunas and lakes I hope.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:41:55 AM by langserve »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 12:22:19 PM »
That is flattering to hear as a Finn. Thank you!  :) I must admit that I prefer Japan Airlines for Helsinki-Tokyo route. JAL's 787 Dreamliners have more comfortable seats and they offer better food and in-flight entertainment than Finnair. Same price, as the companies code share each others flights. Wish to go to Japan on holiday with family some time. Japan is so nice, tidy, safe and you have absolutely delicious food!

langserve

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
JAL don't do any direct flights to Europe from Nagoya and Finnair really have their act together for quick and easy transfers in Helsinki. I agree about the planes though, their A330s were getting pretty tired. They had just changed over to A350s when the plague hit. JAL have great aircraft it's true but on the other hand they lose money unlike Finnair and BA! Nobody does a direct flight to London from Nagoya but since the airport is only 45 minutes away by high speed boat I'm sticking with little, modern, uncrowded Nagoya airport.

Yeah, it's a really nice place. Good food, things work, people are nice and low level crime is pretty much non existent. Good looking women too. Been here about 14 years now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:12:32 PM by langserve »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 02:27:19 PM »
I have LED headlights on my Jazz and I feel the high beam headlights are below the average when compared to the great low beam headlights. The high beam is not as long as it could be, and it is both narrow and shallow. When the road is winding and hilly, the narrow beam is pointing outside the road or just bottom of the dip leaving uphill in dark. I assume the high-beams cannot be adjusted individually to aim higher and wider.
Which LED headlights? Factory fitted or LED bulbs? These bulbs https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=8239030763615 are excellent with a dipped beam which lights up the nearside edge of the road while the main beam is like turning on floodlights.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »
I have LED headlights on my Jazz and I feel the high beam headlights are below the average when compared to the great low beam headlights. The high beam is not as long as it could be, and it is both narrow and shallow. When the road is winding and hilly, the narrow beam is pointing outside the road or just bottom of the dip leaving uphill in dark. I assume the high-beams cannot be adjusted individually to aim higher and wider.
Which LED headlights? Factory fitted or LED bulbs? These bulbs https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=8239030763615 are excellent with a dipped beam which lights up the nearside edge of the road while the main beam is like turning on floodlights.
Factory fitted LED headlights, both low- and high beam as part of Dynamic trim level.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
I suspect (guessing), because LED's are so dazzling they may have to be adjusted lower, even main beam ?
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: