Author Topic: CVT Oil change - How to check?  (Read 2739 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
CVT Oil change - How to check?
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:09 PM »
Is there a way to check that transmission oil has been changed?

My car has its second service soon and I have no reason to think it wont be done other than my own general suspicion that people will take a shortcut if they can ... anyway to check pre or post service? Its a very important change for the long term life of the transmission ...

if not, then so be it....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:23:02 PM by JazzyJJ »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Transmission Oil change - How to check?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »
Dot the dipstick on a bit of kitchen roll or absorbent paper before it goes in, then do the same after and compare them. I would think you should be able to tell the difference in colour.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: CVT Oil change - How to check?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »
I meant CVT oil change....

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:33:47 PM »
I meant CVT oil change....

If it's the same as the earlier CVT models, the dipstick for the CVT is down behind the nearside headlamp.

edit: Just looking at another thread, it appears that Honda dispensed with the dipstick on the mk3 model. All you can really do in that case is locate the drain and filling plugs and have a look before & after. If they are clean, smear a bit of something on the filler plug so you can see if it's been disturbed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:53:49 PM by sparky Paul »

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
fwtw, I marked the oil filter and CVT filling screw with tippex... the oil filter was changed and the cvt screw has less of a smudge on it. I also marked the pollen filter. All good. Trust issues appeased. Loyal customer created  ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:19:46 AM by JazzyJJ »

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
Re: CVT Oil change
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »
Just had my Mk3 1.3 S with CVT serviced (22,000) with a large car dealership (local branch is Ford) that I bought the car from at 13,000. Asked them to do a CVT fluid change, confirmed they could do it when I booked the service. While the car was in I rec'd a ph call advising that the cost would be...£338.08! When I picked myself up of the ground and asked why such a price I was told it is standard price as the transmission filter also needs to be changed each time. Honda UK quote a fixed price of £90 (no mention of a filter). Obviously told them not to go ahead and will be contacting Honda main dealer. Can't find any mention of a CVT transmission fluid filter or any guide (if one exists) when it needs to be changed. Was this an attempted rip-off - Anyone got any thoughts? Also advised that front pads (39% worn) and rear pads (42% worn) would need to be replaced shortly along with rear discs as they were 'lipped'. Previous Jazz CVT's have always been heavy(ish) on front pads with discs every 2nd-3rd pad change. Rear pads lasted 50,000.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »
I bought 5 years’ servicing for £550 when I bought the car in 2016, and that includes 2 cvt oil changes as well as other routine items.  I should give that dealership a wide berth!

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:16:04 PM »
I bought 3 yr service plan with the car so service was covered the £300+ was JUST CVT FLUID

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
Thanks Ed. I think it is a case of flushing with oil and no filter?  That quote from the dealer was outrageous. How do you find the CVT - I'm interested in one and my first automatic. You hear lots of negative reviews of noise but it only seems temporary whilst accelerating, once to the target speed the revs drop back down?  It would be so more relaxing to drive than a manual I'm past all that hassle!

Thanks.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 01:39:45 PM »
Hi Muldoon, I have had 4 Jazz cars, all of them autos, 3 CVT and 1 I-shift.
I know the I-shift tends to be a Marmite thing, but in my opinion, I certainly would not have another one.

If you want the lazy style of motoring, then the CVT ticks all the boxes and I certainly don’t recognise the CVT as noisy.
Yes, the engine does rev a little more than the manual, but this is simply because the engine power band really starts to get going above circa 3k revs.

Whether you have Manual or Auto, if you want the power you need the revs.
At 70mph the engine speed is less with the CVT than the Manual and gives a very relaxed drive.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »
Hi Muldoon, I have had 4 Jazz cars, all of them autos, 3 CVT and 1 I-shift.
I know the I-shift tends to be a Marmite thing, but in my opinion, I certainly would not have another one.

If you want the lazy style of motoring, then the CVT ticks all the boxes and I certainly don’t recognise the CVT as noisy.
Yes, the engine does rev a little more than the manual, but this is simply because the engine power band really starts to get going above circa 3k revs.

Whether you have Manual or Auto, if you want the power you need the revs.
At 70mph the engine speed is less with the CVT than the Manual and gives a very relaxed drive.

Hi Kenneve,

Thanks for the input on CVT ownership, a good point re the power being accessed at 3000rpm and above regardless of manual or automatic. It makes sense to consider auto and not have the hassle of swapping gears constantly in search of the power, definitely in stop start traffic it's a bonus. On the motorway the combination of cruise control and CVT appeals to maintain a steady speed and improved economy.

They seem very reliable transmissions and engines along with everything else apart from a few odd faults with touchscreens and tech. One member of the forum used a hybrid as a driving school car and took the CVT to a massive mileage way beyond most private motorists.

This technology has carried over into the new MK4 but that's beyond my reach currently.

Regards.

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 05:02:32 PM »
1st jazz CVT I had was a 2004  1.4 sport. Had it 13+ years (140000miles) and was great. Changed for 2016 1.3 CVT. Is smoother and yes if you stamp on the power the revs shoot up...but use the throttle to change up. Try a bit of practice. Mpg is good at 45 to 50 in town and best on cross country run 68mpg. HOWEVER fluid changes are VERY IMPORTANT.

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 09:05:38 PM »
Booked my Jazz into local Honda main dealer for CVT fluid change. FIXED PRICE £90! Just a bit better than the dealer quote I was given

Tags: