Author Topic: Slow start/long crank.  (Read 3675 times)

Bellasdad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Honda Jazz S mk3
Slow start/long crank.
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:53:22 PM »
Does anyone have any issues with this?
It’s happened to me a couple of times now, gone to start the car and the engine turns over for about 5 seconds before actually firing up. Most of the time it starts immediately as soon as the key is turned.
Is this a characteristic of the Jazz or is it a trip back to the dealership?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Slow start/long crank.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »
Try turning the ignition on for a few seconds before trying to start. This allows the fuel to pressurise and the immobiliser to receive the necessary signals. If, after trying that, it still takes a few cranks to start, then speak to your dealer/workshop.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 03:15:26 PM »
Yes mine has done exactly the same on a couple of occasions never fails to start but sometimes it cranks for longer than it should. My previous manual mk3 did the same. As they were both ex’s they have a start button so the engine start is computer controlled

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
they have a start button so the engine start is computer controlled
Do you mean that pressing the Start button turns on the ignition?

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »
they have a start button so the engine start is computer controlled
Do you mean that pressing the Start button turns on the ignition?

Yes but opening the door with key in pocket might trigger something to wake up when you press the brake the button lights up but until you press the button it seems as though the ignition is off
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:43:42 PM by Ralph »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »
Too technical for me. It took me all my time to get past turning the key then pulling the started knob on the dashboard!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »
Start on my motorbike is 'one touch' - you just blip the start button and the engine turns over and as soon as it fires it disengages the starter motor,  there is a limit on the time it will turn over for if it does not start though,  about 3 seconds I have been told.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 04:00:49 PM »
Thinking about it all new jazz’s have the ability to auto start the engine otherwise idle stop wouldn’t work

Bellasdad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »
It seems to be a characteristic more than a fault then.
I probably over exaggerated my estimation of 5 seconds before firing up, but it’s definitely not an instant start that I get 99% of the time.
I’ll keep an eye on it but if more people say they are experiencing the same issue then I guess it’s not a serious problem.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »
yeah i had a few times in the past and a long one today

fast turnover and eventually starts 3 to 4 seconds by itself i even took my had off the key

drove a bit and switched it on and off and its normal again

ive done 4000 in my car now and it has done it about 6 times

maybe i should try the turn the ignition on the first click and wait technique as i think i went straight to start today

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
yeah i had a few times in the past and a long one today

fast turnover and eventually starts 3 to 4 seconds by itself i even took my had off the key

drove a bit and switched it on and off and its normal again

ive done 4000 in my car now and it has done it about 6 times

maybe i should try the turn the ignition on the first click and wait technique as i think i went straight to start today

Personally I have always waited until the petrol gauge has stopped moving before I try to start the engine...the short delay gives ECU time to get all the sensor inputs and fuel pump time to build up pressure.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bellasdad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
I’ve called into the dealership and had a word with one of the technicians regarding this issue. He explained it was perfectly normal, saying the ECU would be going through it’s startup checks and the engine wouldn’t fire until certain parameters were met. He also advised to turn the key to the first position and allow any warning lights to go out before cranking the engine.
Following advice given on this forum, that’s what I’ve been doing for the past couple of days anyway and everything seems fine.
He also said if it becomes more of a regular issue to take the car back in and he’ll get it in the workshop for more investigation but he doubted there would be any further problems.

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »
I’ve called into the dealership and had a word with one of the technicians regarding this issue. He explained it was perfectly normal, saying the ECU would be going through it’s startup checks and the engine wouldn’t fire until certain parameters were met. He also advised to turn the key to the first position and allow any warning lights to go out before cranking the engine.
Following advice given on this forum, that’s what I’ve been doing for the past couple of days anyway and everything seems fine.
He also said if it becomes more of a regular issue to take the car back in and he’ll get it in the workshop for more investigation but he doubted there would be any further problems.
I have always done this and has never been a problem since I got the car 15months ago.

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »

That’s got me wondering how you would do this with the start button as there is no key to turn to first position? As I said before mine sometimes cranks longer than it should but so far has not failed to start

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »
Push the button without pressing the brake pedal. When ready to start press brake pedal and push button again.

Tags:

anything