Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693448 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2520 on: January 06, 2022, 02:28:22 PM »
I see the SMMT figures out show that sales of Electric cars for 2021 were greater than the sales of electric cars for the previous 5 years combined.
More than a quarter of all new cars sold were electrified in some form.
11.7% were BEV. 8.8% were self-charging Hybrid-electric and only 6.9% were PHEV

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2521 on: January 06, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »
I saw that, with a comment that EV to charge points ratio is getting higher.

Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2522 on: January 20, 2022, 07:49:13 PM »
There is a new programme starting on Quest next Thursday 27th where they are electrifying a range of old and classic vehicles. The trailer shows a real Mini, a VW Camper and an Isetta Bubble car. Should be worth a look (I have set up my recorder).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2524 on: January 23, 2022, 12:38:14 PM »
It may do but in the UK a large percentage of PHEV owners replace them with BEVs as their next vehicle. Don't know if the others go PHEV or back to ICE though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2525 on: January 31, 2022, 09:08:17 AM »
Just seen in the news that a Falcon rocket launched launched seven years ago is going to crash into the moon and explode.  another great Tesla product - a normal rocket could have got there in a few days and landed safely... Wonder if it working on Tesla autopilot ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60148543
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2526 on: January 31, 2022, 10:08:35 AM »
Just seen in the news that a Falcon rocket launched launched seven years ago is going to crash into the moon and explode.  another great Tesla product - a normal rocket could have got there in a few days and landed safely... Wonder if it working on Tesla autopilot ?

Off topic (sorry), but:

Just to be clear, the Falcon 9 upper stage that's going to hit the moon is a product of SpaceX, not Tesla. Both started by Musk but separate companies. SpaceX have over 100 successful landings of boosters (one has flown eleven times), so they seem to have got their autopilot pretty well sorted.

The only existing "... normal rocket that could have got there in a few days and landed safely ..." and has done so is Chinese. Various US companies are (re-)developing the means to do that under NASA's Commercial Lunar Payload Services programme (https://www.nasa.gov/content/commercial-lunar-payload-services) but none have yet flown, and SpaceX themselves are on contract to build the human lander for NASA's Artemis programme.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2527 on: January 31, 2022, 10:56:42 AM »

Off topic (sorry), but:

Just to be clear, the Falcon 9 upper stage that's going to hit the moon is a product of SpaceX, not Tesla. Both started by Musk but separate companies. SpaceX have over 100 successful landings of boosters (one has flown eleven times), so they seem to have got their autopilot pretty well sorted.

The only existing "... normal rocket that could have got there in a few days and landed safely ..." and has done so is Chinese. Various US companies are (re-)developing the means to do that under NASA's Commercial Lunar Payload Services programme (https://www.nasa.gov/content/commercial-lunar-payload-services) but none have yet flown, and SpaceX themselves are on contract to build the human lander for NASA's Artemis programme.

What about NASA Apollo in the 1960's ?  Their stuff got there pretty damned quick and landed and took off again - OK I know their missions were manned,  but aren't computers supposed to be so much smarter than us humans.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2528 on: January 31, 2022, 11:37:01 AM »
I really mustn't post about the moon landing and conspiracy theories :)
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #2529 on: January 31, 2022, 11:39:16 AM »
What about NASA Apollo in the 1960's ?  Their stuff got there pretty damned quick and landed and took off again - OK I know their missions were manned,  but aren't computers supposed to be so much smarter than us humans.

The key word in my comment was "existing". The US junked that technology and now has to re-invent it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2530 on: January 31, 2022, 12:29:50 PM »

The key word in my comment was "existing". The US junked that technology and now has to re-invent it.

I am really looking forward to electric rockets....

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #2531 on: January 31, 2022, 01:39:42 PM »

No problem, here y'go:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_electric_propulsion
It's a mature technology, been around for decades.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2532 on: January 31, 2022, 02:24:28 PM »

No problem, here y'go:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_electric_propulsion
It's a mature technology, been around for decades.

Ahh the old ion propulsion,  OK once you are in frictionless zero gravity of space, but electrickey will not get you from terra firma to there.. 

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2533 on: January 31, 2022, 03:00:06 PM »

This is a good watch - about 30 mins. An EV owner with his rather attractive but very opinionated Italian wife. Highlights that the charging situation is nowhere near ideal and good points about safety when charging at night.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2534 on: February 27, 2022, 09:05:04 AM »
CARWOW test of Skoda BEV....

Tags: