Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770771 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2490 on: December 17, 2021, 09:03:35 AM »
Today Wind 0.6GW and solar 0GW ---  gas being burnt as if there is no tomorrow ( at this rate less than 3 weeks storage of gas available ), coal stations online, sucking power through the undersea cables... and weather getting colder - don't panic, don't panic......
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 09:07:13 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2491 on: December 17, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »
Today Wind 0.6GW and solar 0GW ---  gas being burnt as if there is no tomorrow ( at this rate less than 3 weeks storage of gas available ), coal stations online, sucking power through the undersea cables... and weather getting colder - don't panic, don't panic......

As I write at 10.23am, coal and gas account for 62% of all electricity production.
Nuclear is 13%.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2492 on: December 17, 2021, 12:34:50 PM »
Well one of you is right.

What is the lag on the data, as Culzean posted earlier not long after the sun came up round here?

Also, does the solar figure include domestic panels? It is really sunny here in Yorkshire on the hilltops.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2493 on: December 17, 2021, 02:36:13 PM »
Well one of you is right.

What is the lag on the data, as Culzean posted earlier not long after the sun came up round here?

Also, does the solar figure include domestic panels? It is really sunny here in Yorkshire on the hilltops.

Oops,  went to quote you and clicked thanks instead - is there any way to 'un-thank' someone ?

The sun in winter ( October to March ) is useless for solar and the sky by us has never changed from a dull battleship grey for a couple of days now.  Sun too low in the sky and too weak to produce much energy, even without clouds. Patch of sun in Yorkshire neither here nor there in overall scheme.  There is a solar panel supplying one of our CCTV cameras, battery % charge has been dropping for a few days now, still I don't rely on that solar panel for heating, cooking, and charging my car.

Just looked again,  wind 0.7GW and solar 0.5GW  and coal 2GW, biomass ( American trees ) 2.4 GW
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:44:19 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2494 on: December 18, 2021, 08:43:29 AM »
The attached graph ( PDF ) shows you all you need to know about viability of solar in UK.  Remember the present installed capacity of solar panels in UK is >14GW ( LOL )

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 08:45:19 AM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2495 on: December 18, 2021, 09:16:00 AM »
I don't know about others but I am sick fed up with this thread moaning about renewable energy or the lack of it. There is a thread here; https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12665.0 for such concerns.
This thread should be about vehicles and technology. Luddites take your concerns elsewhere.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2496 on: December 21, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »
I don't know about others but I am sick fed up with this thread moaning about renewable energy or the lack of it. There is a thread here; https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12665.0 for such concerns.
This thread should be about vehicles and technology. Luddites take your concerns elsewhere.

The supply of electricity and the viability of EV are so tightly linked they cannot be separated...

Without a stable electricity supply all the EV / electric home / zero carbon plans are not even remotely viable- EV proponents and  owners put their fingers in their ears and go 'la la la' when how we are going to get the energy needed is discussed ..   So on a cold day in December we have wind 1GW ( from 25GW installed ) solar 0GW ( from >14GW installed ), Nuclear, gas and American tree burning all running flat out, coal stations running and once again UK is sucking power through every available undersea cable from other countries. 

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #2497 on: December 21, 2021, 11:43:37 AM »
Never mind. When more than 50% of our electricity is produced from gas - 57% as I write- and the price of LNG for the UK making new highs today -30% higher than the October 21 price - no-one is soon going to able to afford UK produced electricity. Think possibly £0.30 per KWH (I am currently paying £0.20 and was paying £0.15 6 months ago)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2498 on: December 21, 2021, 01:05:48 PM »
The supply of electricity and the viability of EV are so tightly linked they cannot be separated...

Well on here they have. The thread Jocko linked to is about the supply of electricity. This thread is supposed to be about the use of electricity by vehicles, the design, technology and practicality of such vehicles. At some point, you have to assume the supply issues will be dealt with, just as the supply of oil for ICE vehicles was dealt with at the end of the Victorian era.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2499 on: December 24, 2021, 12:10:21 PM »
One way to deal with a Tesla when they want £17.5k for a new battery pack :

https://www.tbsnews.net/tech/finnish-tesla-owner-blows-his-car-30kg-dynamite-347299
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2500 on: December 24, 2021, 08:04:54 PM »
How much would Honda charge for a new engine for a 2013 Jazz? My son-in-law's Discovery engine cost over £20K.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2501 on: December 24, 2021, 10:22:18 PM »
How much would Honda charge for a new engine for a 2013 Jazz? My son-in-law's Discovery engine cost over £20K.
Surely that must have written the vehicle off :o
Neil Ives

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2502 on: December 25, 2021, 09:56:53 AM »
Surely that must have written the vehicle off :o
You would have thought so but his company just bought and fitted a brand new engine. Discovery was only a couple of years old with about 60K on the clock. It was a special van style body with steel panels replacing the rear windows and fitted out with a mobile workshop. The accountants must have done the sums. Insurance wouldn't have paid for a new engine and I assume any warranty didn't cover it. The crankshaft sheared and wrecked the engine.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #2503 on: December 25, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
Lots of Discoveries with sheared crankshafts on YouTube. Looks like a design flaw.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #2504 on: December 27, 2021, 12:01:03 PM »
"The government has quietly backtracked on proposals to require every shop, office or factory in England to install at least one electric car charger if they have a large car park, prompting criticism by environmental campaigners.

The original plan required every new and existing non-residential building with parking for 20 cars or more to install a charger. However, the Department for Transport (DfT) has now revealed it will only require chargers be installed in new or refurbished commercial premises amid fears over the cost for businesses, according to a response to a consultation.

The move has prompted concern in the car industry and among experts that public charger access will lag behind demand, as sales of electric vehicles accelerate ahead of the 2035 ban on sales of new fossil-fuelled internal combustion engines. A quarter of new cars bought in the UK in November can be plugged in to recharge, according to industry data."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/27/plans-in-england-for-car-chargers-in-all-commercial-car-parks-quietly-rolled-back

Tags:

anything