Author Topic: Protect rear wheel arch from RUST  (Read 11542 times)

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Protect rear wheel arch from RUST
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2021, 08:07:04 AM »
That one protects paint from water spray and other mechanical threats as a top layer. It does not help to prevent any existing corrosion beneath it. I would strongly suggest something oily, high-penetration and water repellent agent such as Dinitrol ML or bare linseed oil under the underbody protection.
Each to there own. My car has no existing corrosion, which is why I bought it. Personally, if I had a corrosion issue, I would treat it with hydrate 80 first before painting and then covering with the black coating. The black coating is harder wearing and lasts longer. I’ve been using these products for 27 years, so I’m content with my approach. But if you prefer to use ML then fair enough.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 08:08:37 AM by Keekster71 »
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2021, 08:29:00 AM »
I'm not trying to argue or tell anyone's method is wrong. And I tried to say that Dinitrol 4941 is a good hard wearing top layer. I was just presenting alternative solutions for fixing rust spots based on my experiences from about the same time you mentioned. I have had difficulties to remove all existing rust so carefully that it would be good with just paint and hard black protection on underbody areas. But I admit I haven't tried hydrate 80,

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »
I'm not trying to argue or tell anyone's method is wrong. And I tried to say that Dinitrol 4941 is a good hard wearing top layer. I was just presenting alternative solutions for fixing rust spots based on my experiences from about the same time you mentioned. I have had difficulties to remove all existing rust so carefully that it would be good with just paint and hard black protection on underbody areas. But I admit I haven't tried hydrate 80,

Dinitrol 4941 is what we used on our 2003 Yaris. It works very well over 10 years or so since applied.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2021, 11:31:23 AM »

Dinitrol 4941 is what we used on our 2003 Yaris. It works very well over 10 years or so since applied.
Did you have some rust issues before that? There is big difference in protecting intact surfaces or surfaces where there has already been some corrosion.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:37:22 AM by TnTkr »

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »
I applied on surface rust - after wire brushing and treating with a rust proofer . And on painted surfaces where the paint had worn but the galvanised steel beneath was not rusty.

I agree: applying on untreated rusty panels is a waster of time

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2021, 03:34:18 PM »
I applied on surface rust - after wire brushing and treating with a rust proofer . And on painted surfaces where the paint had worn but the galvanised steel beneath was not rusty.

I agree: applying on untreated rusty panels is a waster of time
I similarly agree. Any wax based under seal is pointless over rust. It just flakes off. Hydrate 80 is an excellent rust converter and I’ve had great results with it. I’ve tried various ones over the years but this one has worked best.
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

PK316

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 42.3 mpg
  • My Honda: 2012 EXL CVT
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2022, 12:23:33 AM »
Just joined the forum after buying 2012 Jazz with 12k miles, from south coast of England in mint condition.

As I’m in Fife, l’m keen to ward off rust starting.

How easy is it to DIY treat ?

Are the companies others have used?

Thanks

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2022, 08:10:41 PM »
Just joined the forum after buying 2012 Jazz with 12k miles, from south coast of England in mint condition.

As I’m in Fife, l’m keen to ward off rust starting.

How easy is it to DIY treat ?

Are the companies others have used?

Thanks

If you can jack up a car, secure it safely, wash a car and paint: it's a DIY job
As you will be near the sea in Fife:
1. wash out all wheel arches/sills to remove all mud and salt
2. Leave to dry.
3. Treat any rusty patches by wire brushing, treat with rust preventer.. and then  a Rustproofer/sealant  (I use Dinitrol 4941)
 Vulnerable points: rear wheel arches, rear floor around suspension mounting points, sills in front of rear wheel arches.

Repeat every 2-3 years.
My 10 year old Jazz has been treated like that  and looks as new.

I also spray exhaust with heat proof VHT exhaust paint.

Looks like new

PK316

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 42.3 mpg
  • My Honda: 2012 EXL CVT
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2022, 11:20:00 PM »
Really helpful Madasafish - thanks!

Tags: