Author Topic: The infamous EGR valve problem (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)  (Read 202906 times)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: The infamous EGR valve problem
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »
The EGR valve is available from honda but an independent might do it. I would try both to compare prices and then go from there.

Its an easy diy job to change. As you can see from the pictures in the other posts,its just a case of removing the electrical connection on top and then undoing the two securing bolts that hold the EGR valve to the engine. Refitting is just the reverse.

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
  Try clicking onto "Emission Controls.co.uk" they offer EGR valves. I have not checked prices.

guest1251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 05:54:13 AM »
Hi All:

I have a 2002 1.3 Jazz with 57000Km's on the clock. My wife advised me when we first bought it several months ago that it sometimes chugged when cruising or slowing down...
I took it for a fast country run and it sort of came right.  Last week she advised me it had got worse.
So today, I removed the EGR Valve, cleaned it with CRC, Kerosene and contact cleaner, plus gave it a few good bangs on the work bench. You could feel the solenoid moving etc. Refitted EGR Valve and car has not driven so well since we bought it...  I suspect the banging on the bench may of freed up the solenoid..., as otherwise it was not that dirty.... Car is now 100% better....

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »
 Try clicking onto "Emission Controls.co.uk" they offer EGR valves. I have not checked prices.

I`ve emailed them and their answer is: "Sorry we cannot help you with this part Honda dealer only".

Anyway I`ve checked the EGR valve, it looks clean and I can move the stem.
My car has 45500 miles, 52 reg, mainly driven in London.
I`ve appointment at Honda Chiswick on Friday. I`ll post the result. To check my car will be about £34.00.

Mod.
I think I`ve fixed my problem accidentally.
I took out the EGR valve, had a look in my hand, it looked clean. I pulled out the stem with the screwdriver, but the stem`s shoulder is so small the stem jumped back to its original place. I`ve repeated this about 3-4 times and fitted back.
The next day I haven`t noticed any changes but a day after I did!
My engine runs OK!
The thing what I did was the stem jumped back and the dust from the top of the stem (up inside) fallen off, so it "cleaned" itself.
I`ve cancelled my appointment with Honda.

I hope my story helps you guys.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:55:05 PM by DV »

guest1269

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 02:13:52 AM »
Our 2003 CVT simply refused to start on occasions. The engine turned over, even when warm/hot without problem, but would simply not start. The snag was highly intermittant- if engine was allowed to "cool" the fault seemed to solve itself. ALL lights on the dashboard came on normally every time.
It was surmised it was the EGR valve- and I see other posts which offer this as the source of the problem
The car was sent for service- I was gob-smacked to be advised the fault was the IGNITION key! How so I wondered- and still do!
Nonetheless, it is easy to try the original faulty key and one is immediately plagued  by intermittant hot start problems. Changing to the spare key solves the snag every time.
I can offer no explanation as once the barrel of the ignition lock turns, as one starts the engine, one would have thought, the actual key used was working properly. I can only report that changing to what had been the "spare" key, solved the problem!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »
The car was sent for service- I was gob-smacked to be advised the fault was the IGNITION key!
That would be due to the immobiliser. If the transponder in the key doesn't respond reliably, the immobiliser will kick in.

guest1291

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
Hi

I've got a 2002/3 1.4 Jazz which I bought second-hand which I love. But it's just developed the infamous EGR judder.

The Honda dealership have quoted me £410 to replace the EGR valve. Over half of that is the cost of the part.

However, I can get the part myself for £77, and the fitting of it seems to be 'relatively' simple -- for a qualified mechanic.

My question is: is there any reason I need to get this done at the Honda dealership? Is there any special computer stuff that they need to run, or (now that it's been diagnosed) is it just a simple mechanical swap out?

I should just add I don't have any kind of warranty. Any comments gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 10:27:12 PM »
I don't see any reason to get it done at a Honda dealer or any garage for that matter.

If you are OK with a spanner then its just a simple swap.

There is thread on this forum with pictures if that helps.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:13 AM »
You can do it home, as JazzyB wrote. Get the spanner and swap.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »
Eazy-peezy - just a couple of 13mm A/F hex bolts and an electrical plug.

It will help if you have a 1/4" or 3/8" drive socket set with a 150mm extension.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest882

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
my jazz has 131000km.i solved my egr problem today with some carb cleaner.the car runs so much better than before.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
Narcis, how did you solve the problem?

guest882

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
i took off the egr valve using a 12mm spanner.it has 2 holes in it.one for intake and the other for the "exhaust".the intake hole is just a hole,but the other is covered by the head of the actual moving component of the valve.i sprayed some "gum cutter,carb cleaner-pcv"(that is the products name)into the intake hole until it was filled with liquid and then left the valve upside for a couple of minutes to let the carb cleaner do it's job,and then i poored out the liquid(which you will see that it turned brown from the disolved gum that is inside).i did this for several times,i also banged the egr valve,not too hard,on the working bench.when i did that i heard some movement in the valve,which means that the moving components are freed.you can also take a flat headed screwdriver and pull the moving component whos "head" is on top of the exhaust hole towards you and spray some more in there.after doing all of this my car runs much better and responds quicker to acceleration.
i hope this helps

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »
thank you :P

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »
Any one know if you could use an alternative as a cleaner like white spirit etc... or WD40?

Tags:

anything