Author Topic: HR-V e:HEV vs Crosstar  (Read 4980 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
HR-V e:HEV vs Crosstar
« on: October 04, 2022, 09:09:46 AM »
All this talk of dealers offering good trade-in prices got me thinking as I've had emails from my dealer who is seeking fairly new vehicles for resale. Since I don't want to be left without transport then the question is what to buy to replace my 2 year old Crosstar? SWAMBO wouldn't accept the normal Jazz as she likes a high seat. Neither of us like very dark colours, which limits the choice. Where could we improve on the Crosstar? The boot is often inadequate for our needs and the uneven floor is a nuisance. The ride could be better and my daughter took a dislike to the Crosstar's back seats while my early Crosstar, without the undertray, didn't like cold weather.

A bright red low mileage 2022 HR-V Elegance in the dealer's used vehicle stock got me thinking as I had a Mk 2 HR-V before my Crosstar. While the advertised HR-V boot capacity is little more than the Crosstar (319 vs 298 litres) it looked much larger in the photos. So I phoned up the dealer and got an appointment to look at the HR-V. The HR-V boot is definitely larger. The width between the wheel arches is the same (102cm) but the HR-V has a section 132cm wide behind the wheel arches and is a maximum 76cm depth vs the Crosstar's 65cm. And the floor is flat with a bigger underfloor cubby hole. Length with rear seat folded is about 1.7m to the back of the driver's chair in a comfortable position for me vs 1.5m length in the Crosstar. The disadvantages of the HR-V are the greater width (2028mm over mirrors vs 1966mm and 1790mm vs 1725mm over the body) and the lower fuel economy. The WLTP combined value is 52.3mpg for the HR-V vs 58.9mpg for the Crosstar (ie 89%) but, strangely, there is only 3% difference in the WLTP medium cycle which is probably where I do a lot of driving.

While the dealer's price for the used HR-V was more than the base cost of the new one, the red HR-V paint is an extra cost item. It also has the Honda mats and the salesman noted that it has the 5 year service plan (which I always want) and the warranty extension to 5 years (which I don't normally buy given Honda's reliability). I thought it was worth a haggle although the trade-in value of my Crosstar (approaching 10k miles over more than 2 years) fell about £2k short of what it had cost me. Anyway, I had approval from SWAMBO to do a deal provided her seat was higher (about 2" according to a rough measurement when I compared the two vehicles at the dealer), so I accepted the offer with collection booked for 1st October (the Crosstar went to the dealer on 29th September to minimise the vehicle tax which is charged per calendar month).

My findings so far, which are based on a 140 mile round trip on cross-country A roads are:

1. The HR-V gives a smoother ride. I was worried that the HR-Vs 18" wheels with 50mm tyres would give a harsh ride but the suspension evidently more than compensates.
2. The HR-V is generally more comfortable. My adult daughter who considered the Crosstar's rear seat to be short of padding found the HR-V's rear seat to be fine. SWAMBO had no complaints although I'm still fine-tuning the position of the driver's seat.
3. Engine noise in the HR-V is less than in the Crosstar (although it was only noticeable when the engine was worked hard). I haven't yet had a need to work the HR-V's engine hard but, under normal conditions, road noise is more dominant.
4. I prefer the Crosstar's instrument panel (perhaps because I'm used to it).The HR-V has both an analogue speedometer and a digital one (a bit smaller than on the Crosstar). As I'm used to looking at a digital speedo (and subtracting 2mph to get the true speed - haven't yet checked this on the HR-V), the analogue speedo is effectively a waste of space but I assume there had been some adverse reaction to the digital-only offering on the Mk 4 Jazz. The HR-V doesn't have a permanently displayed battery gauge, which I consider a step backwards as state of charge helps with understanding what the car is doing. It's necessary to use the power flow option on the multi-function display to see the battery charge.
5. I had wondered if the drive quality would suffer due to the 1.5 litre engine and the heavier vehicle. However, it was fine on my first trip (no very steep hills or more than 60mph). While the HR-V offers three drive modes: Sport, Normal and Econ, I've only used Econ (as on the Crosstar) which seems fine for my needs.
6. The HR-V has paddles for adjusting the level of regenerative braking. If driving in D the paddles need to be used each time the brakes are applied but the paddle setting is remembered when in B mode (which I used on the Crosstar). I found the maximum regeneration setting (four positions available) to be no more and possibly less than the standard setting on Crosstar.
7. The HR-V reported 59mpg on the outward leg of my trip and 64mpg on the return. The latter benefited from a dry road and a favourable breeze. I'm assuming 5% optimism in the car's calculation (the Crosstar was 6% optimistic over 9,500 miles) which puts the average mpg on this trip at about 58.5 but I was hoping for over 60 (but we did have four adults on board instead of the normal two). My long term target average for the HR-V is 62.5mpg based on the HR-V WLTP average being 89% of the Crosstar where I averaged 70.5mpg. However, I'll need a year before I can reach a conclusion.
8. It's early days but I have noticed that the HR-V doesn't automatically run the engine when starting the car with a cold engine. There's probably an ambient temperature threshold but I consider this a significant improvement as the initial part of any journey is probably slow speed manoeuvering which can easily be done on battery unless the charge is very low.
9. My HR-V's auto headlights are over-sensitive and can be triggered by a couple of trees overhanging the road. This used to be a problem on the Mk 3 Jazz / Mk 2 HR-V (upwards-looking sensor) but was fixed on my Crosstar. My dealer's service manager says that they don't have any information regarding adjusting the sensitivity.
10. The HR-V has reverted to pulling a lever under the dashboard to open the fuel filler cover whereas the Crosstar's cover is linked to the locking system.
11. My HR-V doesn't have the auto mirror folding on locking which I found to be a useful indication that the car is locked. To get that feature I would need the Advance version.
However, I'm happy that my HR-V doesn't have tinted windows on the back as these make the rear seats more claustrophobic.
12. My HR-V doesn't have USB sockets for the rear seats (available as a >£100 option) but the rear seat passengers do benefit from their own air vents under the centre console.

All for now. Any questions?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: HR-V e:HEV vs Crosstar
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 01:17:51 PM »
Great write up. Thank you!

How does rear visibility compare to the Honda Jazz? Does the more rakish angle of the HR-V's rear windscreen affect the view out (similar to some older Civics like the 2006 spaceship)?

I also noticed, when I took a look at the HR-V, that the inner plastic shroud on the hatch itself impinges (quite alot) onto the rear windscreen. Have you noticed any difference in practice?

For sure, the HR-V is the classier looking vehicle. Even in Japan there is much noise about the sluggish sales of the Mk 4 Jazz, especially as it's being outsold by the Honda N-Box (Kei car) by a ratio of 4:1! And that's primarily because of how it looks (Crosstar included).

The new 2023 CR-V looks pretty smart (if slightly conservative) but the front-end of the HR-V is definitely the most stylish of the three. Thanks again!

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 01:45:42 PM »
How does rear visibility compare to the Honda Jazz? Does the more rakish angle of the HR-V's rear windscreen affect the view out (similar to some older Civics like the 2006 spaceship)?

I also noticed, when I took a look at the HR-V, that the inner plastic shroud on the hatch itself impinges (quite alot) onto the rear windscreen. Have you noticed any difference in practice?
You are probably correct that the view out of the HR-V rear window is smaller than the Crosstar but I've not noticed a problem. It's enough for seeing what's behind me when driving along and, for reversing, there's the reversing camera which provides a much wider view than any window could ever provide.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 02:00:08 PM »
That’s a very good write up on the comparisons between the two.
I changed my 21 plate Crosstar (purchased new) for new 72 plate at the weekend. There are improvements on the latest car as I posted elsewhere. Subtle changes I think mainly software I assume

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 02:47:45 PM »
When I was ready to order my Jazz I was advised to wait for a MY22. Not by a dealer but by a trusted inside source.

I wasn't told why and not having owned a MY21 I can't compare.
Let's be careful out there !

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 06:18:59 PM »
When I was ready to order my Jazz I was advised to wait for a MY22. Not by a dealer but by a trusted inside source.

I wasn't told why and not having owned a MY21 I can't compare.

New one is MY23 from Vin and paperwork
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:23:28 PM by NoelM »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:13:51 AM »
One thing that has never been confirmed here (UK), is the 'Internet Traffic' feature.

Does the new HRV have built in Garmin Traffic via a Smartphone connection ?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 07:13:15 AM »
One thing that has never been confirmed here (UK), is the 'Internet Traffic' feature.

Does the new HRV have built in Garmin Traffic via a Smartphone connection ?

HR-V does not have Garmin navigation it has HERE navigation which includes Traffic via internet connected tether phone, that is also how you can update regions of the map as well as a full map via USB.

The traffic is shown via coloured edges on the roads (sort of like google maps) and also creates diverts when navigating.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 09:32:30 AM »
HR-V does not have Garmin navigation it has HERE navigation which includes Traffic via internet connected tether phone, that is also how you can update regions of the map as well as a full map via USB.
My HR-V came with June 2020 mapping and I spent about 1.5 hours updating it to June 22 maps (issue date). I can understand why the dealer doesn't do this: The map updates are specific to each VIN.

Unfortunately, the HERE navigation instructions are similar to Garmin's where, if the system can dream up a name for a road, then it will use it in preference to the number which makes it difficult to relate the verbal instructions to the road signs.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 09:45:45 AM »
and no doubt this will not be retro installed  :(

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 07:08:31 PM »
I think if the battery is 4 bars or more on the gauge then the engine doesn't automatically start even if it's cold (it was 6C outside when I started a trip this morning) unless the heater is turned on. I also noticed that, with the heater on (needed for demisting) the HV battery never reached full in urban stop-start traffic although the engine kept running for the heating demand. My 2020 Crosstar seemed to rev the engine harder and fill the battery under such conditions. The HR-V, however, is a bigger vehicle with a bigger battery but effectively the same engine as the Jazz so it both needs more power to move it and can absorb the excess power from the engine. Or maybe I'm seeing the benefit of the undertray which my early Crosstar lacked and I felt was resulting in over-cooling of the engine in cold conditions.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 10:35:30 AM »
The HR-V's RDMS is definitely dumbed-down compared to the MK 4 Jazz. So far, all I've encountered are some messages flashing up briefly on the instrument panel and a possible (I'm not certain) light finger on the steering wheel. It's not made lots of noises although that might be because I used whatever options are available in the settings to reduce the alarm volumes.

I've noticed that I always look at the small digital speedo readout. The HR-Vs big analogue speedo is a waste of space.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 09:46:43 PM »
A 2 x 73 miles return trip on A roads today. The claimed mpg was 59.5 outgoing and 60.1 return which was reasonable given four adults on board. I noticed another difference from the Crosstar: The HR-V's battery gauge seemed to spent a lot of time in the middle of the range whereas the Crosstar seemed to fluctuate a lot between 30% and 70% charge. I assume this could be due to two differences: The engine in the HR-V has less surplus energy under normal driving (~50mph) than the Crosstar due to being a larger vehicle powered by the same (slightly tweaked) engine; and the HR-V has 25% more battery capacity.

Tags:

anything