Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 6599 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2022, 09:29:22 AM »
A lot of things promoted by 'experts' are not very good either,  Like 'all fat is bad for you' ( based on a really flawed medical experiment in the 1960's that has been cherished and rigorously implements by medics ever since ) and 'we need to give 5 to 11 years olds the covid vaccine'.... ( thanks goodness the parents seem to have more sense and the take up has been refreshingly very poor ).
I don't think the medical position on fats has changed very much despite the attempts of the Daily Express and other press to sensationalise it.
https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/support/healthy-living/healthy-eating/fats-explained

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1597288/dementia-high-levels-of-unsaturated-fat-butter-palm-oil-increases-risk

Re the vaccination of children.
This was discussed at length in
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14074.msg117145#msg117145

Anyway I thought this topic was about fossil fuels and the rights of groups like Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion to protest about the overuse of them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »
The 'experts' also say 'renewables good, electric cars good, fossil fuels bad' - but there is very strong evidence it is nowhere near that simple..... 'ex' = used to be,  'spurt' = a drip under pressure.  These demonstrators are no more than 'rent a mob' - best thing to do is if they are seen at demos to report them to DHSS and stop their benefits..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2022, 11:54:00 AM »
The 'experts' also say 'renewables good, electric cars good, fossil fuels bad' - but there is very strong evidence it is nowhere near that simple..... 'ex' = used to be,  'spurt' = a drip under pressure.  These demonstrators are no more than 'rent a mob' - best thing to do is if they are seen at demos to report them to DHSS and stop their benefits..

On the contrary the real experts can provide a balanced view of things due to the years of work they have put in, unlike the so-called experts dragged up by newspapers and politicians to provide sensational headlines or back a biased point of view.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »
Quote from  UN secretary general, Antonio Guterres :-

“The world is in a race against time,” said Guterres. “It is time to end fossil fuel subsidies and stop the expansion of oil and gas exploration.”

Reflecting on the war in Ukraine, he said: “Countries could become so consumed by the immediate fossil fuel supply gap that they neglect or knee-cap policies to cut fossil fuel use. This is madness. Addiction to fossil fuels is mutually assured destruction.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2022/may/11/fossil-fuel-carbon-bombs-climate-breakdown-oil-gas

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2022, 05:15:06 PM »
I wonder if there is some balancing act possible here.

With recent events 'we' temporarily need to source oil and gas from elsewhere so whilst more is sourced locally less is bought from you know who.

The end result is no or little more being burned.

Just my simplistic view/guess.
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2022, 10:51:46 AM »
I wonder if there is some balancing act possible here.

With recent events 'we' temporarily need to source oil and gas from elsewhere so whilst more is sourced locally less is bought from you know who.

Absolutely, but unfortunately the short term greed of the big oil companies and politicians outweighs the longer term welfare of the planet.

https://www.worldatlas.com/news/oil-and-gas-expansion-over-next-5-years-a-carbon-bomb-waiting-to-explode.html

“If your house is on fire you don’t add more fuel. Expanding the production of oil and gas at this moment in history is like the fire department showing up with gas rather than water to save a planet on fire. No one is saying turn off the taps overnight. We still use oil and gas today, but we must act now to stop the planned expansion by the oil and gas industry that could lock us into an unsafe climate.” 

Edit added link and quote.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:02:57 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
Much more important than Tory infighting :-

"Oil and gas profits in the most recent quarter were astounding. Exxon Mobil made $18bn in profits in the past three months. Shell and Chevron each made nearly $12bn. Those are all record numbers. More major companies will announce their figures this week, and they are all expected to be bountiful. The war in Ukraine, which has devastated a region of the world and displaced millions, has helped energy companies by driving oil and gas prices higher."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/02/oil-industry-record-profits-climate-crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/02/bp-profits-oil-prices-ukraine-war-energy-prices-cost-of-living-crisis

Edit added comment and second link
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:56:46 PM by JimSh »

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »
It's difficult to know what these companies should do, or be forced to do, to ease the burden to Joe Public

Those profits are obscene under the circumstances.

The other thing that I saw reported is that we are sitting on trillions of tons of oil and gas that would tide us over as self sufficient until other lower carbon energy sources come onboard.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2022, 06:00:46 PM »

The other thing that I saw reported is that we are sitting on trillions of tons of oil and gas that would tide us over as self sufficient until other lower carbon energy sources come onboard.
We should only use as much as we need but big money is involved.
The oil companies will push to extract as much as possible.
They will donate to political parties in order to be allowed to do so.
The political parties will accept the donations in order to stay in power.
The political parties and the big oil companies make a pretence of green policies but it is in their mutual interest to extract even more oil and gas.
and so it goes on
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 06:03:52 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2022, 10:17:19 PM »
There is an excellent three-part documentary on the Player. "Big Oil v The World". Worth a look.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2022, 10:43:04 PM »
Cartoon by Martin Rowson

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2022, 12:16:06 PM »

We should only use as much as we need but big money is involved.
The oil companies will push to extract as much as possible.
They will donate to political parties in order to be allowed to do so.
The political parties will accept the donations in order to stay in power.
The political parties and the big oil companies make a pretence of green policies but it is in their mutual interest to extract even more oil and gas.
and so it goes on

“BP are presenting themselves as offering green solutions that are good for the UK, but these investments are dwarfed by how much money they’re funnelling into fossil fuels,” said Parr. “They’re doing this while making record profits and as millions of UK households are being pushed into fuel poverty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/06/bp-social-media-influence-ads-labour-windfall-tax

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2022, 02:46:14 PM »
2022 combined oil and gas profits will easily breach £200 bn

UK has 28m households

That's nearly £7k each household

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2022, 10:39:39 PM »
There is an excellent three-part documentary on the Player. "Big Oil v The World". Worth a look.

Worth a look indeed.
I had only watched a bit of the first part but caught up with the rest over the last couple of days.
Really sickening how the greed of man and wilful denial can result in so much so much damage to the planet.
What is worrying (understatement) is that the links between the big polluters, the political right and their  media enablers are unlikely to be broken any time soon.
At least 40years have been wasted.
Time is running out.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »
The Conservatives and right wing media are still trying to blame the increases in energy prices on green levies.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/25/fact-check-is-net-zero-really-to-blame-for-soaring-energy-bills-green-levies-renewables

Edit added "right wing media"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 11:03:37 AM by JimSh »

Tags:

anything