Author Topic: Magic Seats  (Read 1487 times)

BestwoodRoadie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 Hybrid EX
Magic Seats
« on: March 17, 2022, 01:28:22 PM »
Just been to get the dog groomed, put the seats up at the rear so she could lay flat on the floor, she was buckled in via the seat belt connector.
As I was driving I heard a bang at the back of my seat, I pulled over and found that the single rear magic seat had dropped down with an almighty bang, fortunately the dog was lying on the floor on the passenger side.
I fear that if she had been laid on the foot behind me the seat slamming down would have coursed her serious spine injury.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 01:30:02 PM by BestwoodRoadie »

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Magic Seats
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 02:30:00 PM »
I've only tried mine a couple of times, but have had them drop before - I think you have to fold the base bar first then give them a bit of a slam into the upright position next to get them to lock.

When I tried first putting them up and then folding the bar second it dropped back down.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 02:34:06 PM »
...I only grab the seat base, pull up and then push bar in to lock. Not had a problem with them falling back down yet though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 04:43:36 PM »
...I only grab the seat base, pull up and then push bar in to lock. Not had a problem with them falling back down yet though.

Never had a problem with magic seats om MK1 and MK2 Jazz or Civic,  cannot see why they would change anything for MK4,   Just lift front of seat right up and then close the 'legs' of seat into base of squab....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:47:19 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 04:50:50 PM »
...Yeah my MK2 was fine also.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 05:18:08 PM »
I have had the seat fall forward on my Mk 1. It was because it had not locked in place. Now, whenever I lift the seat I always check it is locked in place by trying to pull the seat squab forward.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 10:13:46 PM »
The only problem with magic seats on the Mk4 is that they partially obscure vision through the rear window which wasn't the case on my Mk2

BestwoodRoadie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 10:03:48 AM »
Hi all
Probably my fault for not making sure they “locked in”, thought I would highlight it, it could save a massive vet bill as I think it would have seriously hurt the dog.
Yes the rear view is partially blocked with them up.
Cheers guys

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »
How much of the seat folds up that it blocks rearward view? Any pictures?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 05:13:40 PM »
How much of the seat folds up that it blocks rearward view? Any pictures?

They block quite a lot of the rearward vison - about half.  . The first  photo shows the magic seats up  are about 120 mm  higher than the rear seat headrests. 
You can lock the seats in the upright position by folding the metal support 'legs' down ,as in the second photo, once the seat is upright. But there is no positive click, and it doesnt always lock.  You need to check it is secure.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 05:37:27 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything