Author Topic: smart motorways on hold  (Read 2048 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
smart motorways on hold
« on: January 15, 2022, 11:19:07 AM »
So called 'smart motorways'  have been shelved for foreseeable  future,  about time too - they are in the same lunatic basket as net zero and HS2,  maybe they will be halted soon as well. 

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/news-articles/smart-motorway-rollout-stopped-over-safety-concerns/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: smart motorways on hold
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 11:54:37 AM »
What I don't understand is why we have to have all lane running 24x7.

Surely they could use the inside lane as a hard shoulder when traffic is free flowing then just open the inside lane when traffic slows to less than say 30mph.
Let's be careful out there !

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 01:43:13 PM »

Surely they could use the inside lane as a hard shoulder when traffic is free flowing then just open the inside lane when traffic slows to less than say 30mph.

It's been tried. It doesn't work.

Dynamic Hard Shoulder (DHS) running turns out to be more dangerous than All Lane Running (ALR), and doesn't provide the expected capacity increase (mainly because people are dozy beggars).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 05:19:25 PM »

Dynamic Hard Shoulder (DHS) running turns out to be more dangerous than All Lane Running (ALR), and doesn't provide the expected capacity increase (mainly because people are dozy beggars).

Or perhaps they have had experience of Motorway signs left on warning of issues that no longer exist

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 05:21:31 PM »
It's a shame somebody doesn't come up with the idea of three lanes and a hard shoulder.  I bet that would work.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 06:38:38 PM »

Or perhaps they have had experience of Motorway signs left on warning of issues that no longer exist

Not really. The middle lane hoggers stay where they are, and you don't get the benefit. (That happens to an extent on ALR too.)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 06:49:09 PM »
Simple reduce car ownership by 25m , the Govt are on track to achieve this by mid 2035.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 08:54:12 AM »
Simple reduce car ownership by 25m , the Govt are on track to achieve this by mid 2035.

Currently 32m.

So new car sales collapse from 2 m to 250,000? 8)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 08:38:05 AM »
What bewilders me is how the middle lane hoggers on a three lane motorway, when four lanes are available become third lane hoggers. Why not hog the second lane like you always did? Numpties
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 09:10:39 AM »
I've seen loads of third lane hoggers.

Subject to conditions I like to overtake them and cut across their nose from lane 4 to lane 1 to watch their, if any, reaction. It sometimes causes a change but often just from 3 to 2.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »

Subject to conditions I like to overtake them and cut across their nose from lane 4 to lane 1 to watch their, if any, reaction. It sometimes causes a change but often just from 3 to 2.

I used to do that, but you know what? Life's to short to spend it trying to retrain numpties or shout at idiots.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 10:12:41 AM »

I do the same , a safe but exaggerated demonstration ,but many remain oblivious of their own failing and ,if they notice other  vehicles at all, probably think me  an idiot. :o
Just the tip of the iceberg I think.  Many learners  pass their test long before they are fully confident as drivers. While some continue to build on their skills and confidence through practice  others give in to the temptation to minimise the situations they find stressful, such as lane changing, or indeed driving at all.Life long  nervous and reluctant drivers.   .  (My mum passed her test late in life  , but rarely drove  thereafter. She too easily gave in to the temptation of leaving it to dad.  )
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:16:25 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 10:38:39 AM »
The one thing I do like to see is when a member of the centre lane owners club gets tailgated by a truck on full headlights.

Trucks not allowed in  the outside lane so they have little option,

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 12:13:52 PM »
Many learners  pass their test long before they are fully confident as drivers. While some continue to build on their skills and confidence through practice  others give in to the temptation to minimise the situations they find stressful, such as lane changing, or indeed driving at all.Life long  nervous and reluctant drivers.   .  (My mum passed her test late in life  , but rarely drove  thereafter. She too easily gave in to the temptation of leaving it to dad.  )

Learners have only been allowed on motorways since June 2018, and only then if accompanied by a qualified driving instructor, and (obviously) if there’s a convenient motorway nearby. Many people will not have had the practical experience, and their knowledge is based on either some comments from their instructor or from subsequent reading of the Highway Code (if any). It’s not surprising that so many get it wrong.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 01:44:52 PM »
My favourite hate on motorways is people joining without matching their speed to the traffic on the motorway. I wonder if those drivers have somehow got the idea that motorway traffic should give way to them. It's not as if any modern vehicle cannot achieve the correct speed by the time they've reached the end of the slip road.

And then of course there's the lack of signalling!
Neil Ives

Tags: