Author Topic: Changes to the Highway Code.  (Read 8597 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Changes to the Highway Code.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »
The difference between now and the new ruling is at present the pedestrian stands on the kerb waiting for a gap to cross. With the new ruling, if he is standing at the kerb, watching the oncoming traffic you will be duty-bound to stop and let him cross as if it was a zebra crossing.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 10:24:40 PM »
Reading H2 it sounds like the requirement to stop for a pedestrain waiting to cross is only encumbant on someone turning. If you're going straight ahead them presumably you do not need to stop for  a pedestrian waiting at the kerb to cross.

If this is the case, consider this.

A pedestrian is standing at the kerb of a main road next to a side road, waiting to cross the main road. Someone turning out of the side road onto the main road is required to stop for the pedestrian to cross the main road.
Someone already travelling on the main road (and not turning) is NOT required to stop for the pedestrian to cross the main road.
Yes, no?
One car turning out stops, one car coming along the main road doesn't. The pedestrian does what?

Am I not understanding it? Does it only work when turning from a main road into a side road or does it also work the other way round?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 11:22:22 PM »

Am I not understanding it? Does it only work when turning from a main road into a side road or does it also work the other way round?

I think it only refers to a pedestrian crossing the side road and the driver turning into or leaving the side road but it is not very clear even in the picture.(but see the give way road markings)
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/356781/2022-highway-code-changes-cars-must-give-way-cyclists-when-turning-pictures

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 02:12:44 AM »
Right, hadn't seen the pictures. Hopefully the exact circumstances will be spelled out, but it would appear to apply to a pedestrian on a minor road only, not on a major road, and the vehicle must give way whether turning into or out of that minor road. As long as pedestrians understand this also.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 08:35:28 AM »
Poor street lighting means a pedestrian in the centre of the road ,dressed in dark clothes, is only visible under your headlights. So if you are going round a slight right hand corner, he /she will be virtually invisible until the bend straightens...

Or in the case above, when he runs into the road...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »
There is even less likelihood of pedestrians and cyclists reading the Highway Code so basically, we can forget all about it!

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »
Not if a zealous plod spots a pedestrian waiting and you turn and don't stop to let them cross. Whether they were about to go will be irrelevant, you as the car driver will be the one transgressing the law.

I don't know if the distance for the pedestrian from the junction is specified anywhere, how near to the junction do they need to be for this rule to apply, 10m, 50m, 200m?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
Pedestrians have had right of way when crossing a side road for a long time. Rules 170 to 183  - 'if they have already started to cross', does that mean they have half their foot over the kerb or that they are approaching the kerb on the footpath and look as though they intend to cross ?  I have had pedestrians walking along a pavement swerve at right angles onto a zebra crossing - hardly looking at the traffic - if you catch them on dashcam do they fined - I doubt it,  so just a case of more rights but no more responsibilities.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 02:36:11 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2021, 05:46:16 PM »
I think I am going to burn more fossil fuels as a solution. If I see a pedestrian on the corner of a road I am turning into in my neighbourhood, I am going to go to the next turning. Where I live, getting rear ended in this scenario is a near certainty.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2022, 11:56:12 AM »
Not until the end of January, IIRC.

Keep an eye on: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/updates

Cyclists taking up secondary position (passenger side wheel rut) and not being expected to cling to the gutter, is a good move.

Cyclists having priority in a situation where a car is turning left and the cyclist filters up from behind into the car driver's blind spot, is not.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 04:44:44 PM »
Very similar to what applies in many countries anyway.   And paves the way for better cycle lanes.

I'd be much happier if cyclists behaved more responsibly .  Or is it just me who  thinks many of the worst offenders amongst reckless cylists  actually hold driving licences and should know better.

If you are indicating   and positioning for an obvious turn  a motorcylist who undertook you at 30 mph would (IMO)  be driving dangerously    . Yet a pedal  cyclist can do the same at 30 mph and its all your fault?   
A rear dash cam may be a good idea. It may prove that you should have seen them,  but occasionally a cyclist (or electric scooter if they are eventually included) who 'came out of nowhere ' might indeed  have been travelling at high speed along the footpath immediately prior to the incident .

I accept as a driver of a motor vehicle  you have the ultimate responsibility  to anticipate  and avoid such incidents.  As with pedestrians some cyclists will be young or have no road sense.         
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 05:17:43 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2022, 06:31:06 PM »
I'd be much happier if cyclists behaved more responsibly .  Or is it just me who  thinks many of the worst offenders amongst reckless cylists  actually hold driving licences and should know better.     

You are right that many cyclists should behave more responsibly in traffic.
But this is a two-sided story. I am someone who has traversed half of Europe on a bicycle. See my avatar and this link: https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14100.msg114318#msg114318.

Unfortunately I have to say that (some) drivers also behave very irresponsibly towards cyclists. When the law of the strongest is applied, the cyclist always loses...
I better not say how many times I have stood trembling and swearing next to my bicycle on the verge because I was almost killed by that stronger (fellow?) road user...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:50:30 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 05:23:50 AM »
I can see some rear end shunts as vehicles have to brake sharply when a pedestrian or cyclist decides to use their new power.
Let's be careful out there !

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 08:21:12 AM »
Luckily the Highway code is not the law.... 8)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 08:49:46 AM »
I can see some rear end shunts as vehicles have to brake sharply when a pedestrian or cyclist decides to use their new power.

I think this is being over-thought. If I知 turning into a junction then I知 looking for hazards at the turn, and I知  indicating and braking anyway so anyone behind has ample warning. Nothing new there. And if I知 the following vehicle, then I try to drive as if I知 expecting the vehicle ahead to stop suddenly anyway. So nothing new there either. If others don稚 drive like that, well, that痴 their problem.

[Quote from deleted post removed by Admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 08:10:27 PM by RichardA »

Tags:

anything