Author Topic: NS Front wheel catching caliper  (Read 1302 times)

100K+

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
NS Front wheel catching caliper
« on: November 03, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »
Today we moved the NS rear wheel to the front of the car. On driving away there was a grinding noise like that of shot pads on the disc. Removal of the wheel revealed that the road wheel had been catching the very outer edge of the brake calliper. Subsequent investigation highlighted no reason for this to happen. The previous road wheel had no issues. All 4 road wheels are genuine Jazz wheels. There is no apparent build up of corrosion on the calliper or the road wheel. The road wheel has markings all round the inside right next to the round holes, so it appears the wheel is true.
Any thoughts or comments as to the reason why this is happening and about my possible solutions.
1) Grinding away the area on the calliper where the marking is taking place
or
2) Fitting some kind of spacer between the hub and the road wheel.

Cheers
Bob

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: NS Front wheel catching caliper
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:44:51 PM »
Worn wheel bearing allowing te ewheel to oscillate on hub..thus caliper catching?
East quick check... jack up relevant side and try rocking wheel from side to side..
Note: not safe on jack... axle stands safer...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
The wheel bearing would have to be so badly worn for the wheel to hit the caliper you would have known about it before now. As a maintenance engineer of 40 years I always suspect what was done last. Swap the wheels back over again and see if the issue resolves itself. If it does it could be the offset of the wheel that is wrong.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »
I second what Jocko says, but when you say the wheel is hitting the brake caliper on 'the very outer edge' is that on the side of caliper nearest the spokes or on the top of caliper nearest the rim of the wheel ?

With a single pot sliding caliper brake setup the pistons are on the side of the caliper away from the wheel rim ( because there is more room that side for everything) and as pressure is supplied to the cylinder  the pad on the piston side hits the disc first and then pulls the outer part of caliper towards the disc along the slide pins and that pad hits the disc so the caliper is 'floating' on the slide pins while it is clamping the disc during braking.  If the wheel is hitting the caliper on the side nearest the spokes and pads have been changed recently and are non Honda and maybe a bit thicker than normal this will push the outer caliper towards the spoke of the wheel by a few mm, or as Jocko says the offset ( ET = the distance from wheel clamping face to the centreline of the rim  ) of the rim is wrong. If the wheel is hitting the caliper on top of the caliper then the radius in the corner of spoke where it hits the rim is not correct or the inner diameter of the rim is wrong.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:59:11 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

100K+

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
Thanks for replies. Its deffo 100% NOT wheel bearing. When we switched the wheels back to how they were before we swapped front to back, the "problem" went away - Its almost as if there are 2 different types of wheel - one for the fronts, one for the rears. ( As I said before the wheel rims look identical) The car normally wears its tyres very evenly so in 8+ years we have never ( to my memory) swapped the wheels front/back.
With the wheel off you can see the calliper unit. In very broad terms it resembles a thick paperback book. If you align the book so that the spine is the outer edge, its this outer edge for the full length of the book that's marked. ( both on the spine and on the "cover" - its about a 10mm graze) The wheel is marked literally 2/3mm beyond the largest circular point where the round holes are punched out.
I can see where you are coming from re pad thickness of Non-Honda items, and this could well be the issue. The fact no one has chimed in that this is a Jazz peculiarity, makes me think even more the pad thickness is the problem.
I think I have some spare wheels that I was going to fit snow tyres to, I'll try these out tomorrow/later in the week and let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Bob

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:28:47 PM »
Are we talking about steel rims here ? And does the rub mark go all around the rim - if it is only on one area it could be a buckled rim.. The rear brakes are smaller diameter than the front ones and it would not show up on the rear.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

100K+

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »
My Bad... posting in the wrong section - vehicle is a 2006 - steel wheels deffo not buckled mark goes all the way around.
Cheers
Bob

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 10:11:36 PM »
It's an strange one. There has to be some difference between the two wheels.

There's not a big gap between the calipers and the rims, but even fat pads aren't going to make a lot of difference - there is only a small margin for bigger pads to fit into the calipers. Also, why would it only catch on one rim? Rims are pretty accurately made as a rule, which would seem to point to you having an odd one.

Are you absolutely certain they are both Honda Jazz rims and of identical construction?

100K+

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »
This is getting weird. In passing conversation current daughters boyfriend tells me this happened to him too on a Jazz 2002. - Had to swap the wheels back. I'll post a re-newed thread of my experience in the Mk1 section and see if anyone chimes in.

Thanks all for your comments.
Cheers
Bob.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »
I have a 2006 with steel wheels and they have been swapped front to back with no problems. As an experiment, try doing a front to back swap on the other side.
My opinion is some one has damaged a wheel in the past, picked another up from somewhere, and though it looks the same, the offset is wrong.

Tags: