Author Topic: Learners switching to Automatics.  (Read 4997 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Learners switching to Automatics.
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2021, 08:06:56 AM »
EV is the eventual way to go for sure, one pedal to go, one pedal to stop.
With many of them you only need one pedal to go and stop like the dodgems. Most EVs can virtually be driver one pedal for the most part if you have the regen set to a high level.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »
Honestly, I'd say anybody who takes their driving test in an Automatic by choice is nuts.

Even if you're happy to drive Automatics, there IS going to come a point where you'll try to rent a car/van and they'll only have a manual available or you'll need to drive somebody else's car and it'll be a manual.

And you'll be stuffed because you've only got an Automatic license.
Around 10 years ago, I booked a villa in Northern Cyprus for a holiday, the taxi company that collected us from the airport also ran a car hire company and offered a discount on car hire, so I asked for a Focus/Astra sized car. I was surprised that the car delivered was a brand new automatic Focus. I mentioned that it was unusual to be offered an auto as standard, and they said "if the standard car is auto, everyone can drive it", makes sense.

My local van hire company has auto vans too, and thats in a rural location, not a busy city location.

As I have mentioned I have taught automatic driving lessons for 9 years, and some instructors say that they teach both auto and manual and are getting rid of their auto cars as there is no demand. So I ask do you advertise that you do auto? 9 times out of 10 the answer is "No, not really". Its not rocket science !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2021, 09:19:11 AM »
What I don't understand are those that say they drive auto's using both feet.

That'll be why I see some cars with either permanent or flickering brake lights in front.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything