Author Topic: Lane change warning on country roads which have white lines.  (Read 2794 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
So far I have only seen the lane change warning come on on a country road which had a central white line. The road was quite swirly so I assume that on a left hand bend the camera could see a white line directly in front of it, so thought I must have changed lanes (when in fact I was well on the left side).

I guess the system was really intended for motorway use only so I expect to turn it off normally, and maybe turn it on if I remember when on a motorway.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Lane change warning on country roads which have white lines.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »
It shouldn't operate on bends.  I have mine off and, like you suggest, only switch it on when motorway driving.  It also works well on the rumble strips at each side of the road.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 04:48:59 PM »
This warning system isn't suitable for country roads. It can also be confused by white lines along edges which you have to move over onto when the road is barely wide wnough for 2 vehicles. As a result, it gets turned off and, because the switch is relatively out of sight, doesn't get turned on again when it could be useful.

The parking sensors are also unsuitable for country lanes where one needs to get quite close to banks / hedges / walls so they get turned off as well and consequently aren't enabled when needed. However, the underlying problem with the sensors is that they are set to for a distance too long to be helpful and aren't any use in judging close distances.

Honda failed to properly test either of these two potentially useful aids.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »
This warning system isn't suitable for country roads. It can also be confused by white lines along edges which you have to move over onto when the road is barely wide wnough for 2 vehicles. As a result, it gets turned off and, because the switch is relatively out of sight, doesn't get turned on again when it could be useful.

The parking sensors are also unsuitable for country lanes where one needs to get quite close to banks / hedges / walls so they get turned off as well and consequently aren't enabled when needed. However, the underlying problem with the sensors is that they are set to for a distance too long to be helpful and aren't any use in judging close distances.

The truth is 99% of countries in the world don't have narrow lanes with hedges and walls with white lines at edges like UK does.  In fact most countries don't have hedgerows and sides of roads are wide open.  I would have thought front parking sensors would only operate below 3 or 5mph anyway.   Trouble with having 'world cars' is that every country is different and the nerds who write software just cram features in because they can. 

I hate a lot of the gimmicks on modern cars and would rather rely on the good old human behind the wheel not this 'technology for the sake of technology' arms race with all its niggles and limitations.   I like satnav because it no longer means making lists of destinations and trying to balance a map on steering wheel,  it is great in strange cities and heavy traffic because it points me to the correct lanes - and is therefore a great stress reducer and aid to safer driving because I can keep my eyes on the road more of the time - lots of other stuff like multi-function touch screens that take your concentration off the road are positively dangerous,  as is any kind of phone call (hands free or not,  it is the multi-tasking split attention thing that humans don't do very well with our brain architecture,  which has still not caught up with demands placed on it by todays world).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
.....as is any kind of phone call (hands free or not,  it is the multi-tasking split attention thing that humans don't do very well with our brain architecture,  which has still not caught up with demands placed on it by todays world).

Completely agree with this. There has been some stuff in the press recently about studies confirming that a phone conversation with someone on the phone is much more distracting than a conversation with a passenger.

Tags:

anything