Author Topic: Air conditioning....a personal view.  (Read 5504 times)

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
Air conditioning....a personal view.
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
Had my mk3 SE in September and today eight months later had a hot sunny day and used the manual air conditioning for the first time.
Needed it to the extreme , 25 degrees outside according to car thermometer and very hot inside.
Put it on full blow in an attempt to cool down.
Have to say , and this is a PERSONAL opinion,  the air conditioning is not as effective as was in my mk2.
The old car I could direct nice cool air at me whilst driving but this one seems to struggle to have a significant effect.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Air conditioning....a personal view.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »
I have the EX and find it much better than my old mk1 1.4SE.
Perhaps you have a Monday morning or Friday afternoon one.😂

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »
Had my mk3 SE in September and today eight months later had a hot sunny day and used the manual air conditioning for the first time.

So you haven't used the aircon for eight months, that may be your problem, maybe the seals have dried out and the system has leaked it's gas away. Is the cooling fan behind the radiator cutting in and out with the aircon on ?
Aircon systems should be run for at least 10 minutes a week but preferably left on all the time, the effect on your fuel consumption and performance is negligible especially when you consider the benefits of aircon.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
Have to say , and this is a PERSONAL opinion,  the air conditioning is not as effective as was in my mk2.
The old car I could direct nice cool air at me whilst driving but this one seems to struggle to have a significant effect.
Did you Mk 2 have tinted windows in the back?

I've noticed that my Mk 3 (SE) which has no tinted windows has a much more noticeable greenhouse effect than my Mk 2 hybrid which had tinted windows. I'm wondering about investing in some stick-on tint but that might not be feasible for the heated back window.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:28:37 AM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Sidot

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 07:23:54 AM »
My mk2 did not have tinted windows.
I'm driving to the South of France on holiday soon and air con is needed as it gets quite hot down there.
As I pointed out it was just an observation and all could be well.
It's not as if it doesn't work it just feels less effective.
We will see.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
You would need to move the lever over to recirculate the air to stop hot air coming in to the car.
Did the climate control on the MK2 do this automatically?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
I had a similar problem a few days ago, and then realised I still had the heater control half-way round to hot! >:(

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
All these comments make me glad I went for the EX with climate control.  No fuss, no issues heating and cooling.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 03:42:26 PM »
Hi all
To be honest it is very easy with manual air con. My 13 plate 12S + AC has been to South of France and back several times and again this September. I have been in July when it was very hot and though the Jazz AC is not the best, with the blower going and air on recirculate, it is quite good enough for me. Long stretches with it on gets the car very cold, (once motorway stretch is 300+ Km) and usually wife complains she is too cold. I certainly appreciate it and wouldn't have a car without it now. Extra bonus, I go to the gym most evenings and the car soon steams up when I get in, 30 seconds using aircon and all is clear again.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
its no good not using your a/c from last sept till now

i prefer manual a/c i have had both and with climate i always just set it to LO anyway and it was a pain to always go through the fan speed to get it turned off, not just a button like with manual

have you got it set on the correct vent setting and not screen
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:16:22 PM by monkeydave »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 09:07:33 AM »
Hi all
To be honest it is very easy with manual air con. My 13 plate 12S + AC has been to South of France and back several times and again this September. I have been in July when it was very hot and though the Jazz AC is not the best, with the blower going and air on recirculate, it is quite good enough for me. Long stretches with it on gets the car very cold, (once motorway stretch is 300+ Km) and usually wife complains she is too cold. I certainly appreciate it and wouldn't have a car without it now. Extra bonus, I go to the gym most evenings and the car soon steams up when I get in, 30 seconds using aircon and all is clear again.

Having lived in Australia for many years I (and a lot of others) only used aircon (on recirculate) to cool car down initially when it had been standing in the sun (when temp inside car could get to over 60deg, and steering wheel too hot to touch),  after that it was switched off for rest of journey - using aircon too much meant the heat felt much worse when you have to go out into it (a lot of Aussie shopping centres were cooled like the arctic,  and when you went in the sweat felt as though it was freezing on your body),  better to let your body adapt (of course here in UK really hot days (over 35deg) are a rarity so maybe this is not true that you can adapt.  Only  time I use aircon in UK is to demist windows in colder weather or in summer I will jab the 'quick demist button' to cool car after it has been in the sun - this is because switching to 'climate control'   loses all my manual settings,  I find using aircon all the time dries out my sinuses and makes me more prone to sinusitus,  which believe me you don't want to have  :'(
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: