Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 175488 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #390 on: April 27, 2021, 12:25:19 PM »
I was always very anti the CVT transmission until I actually got one. I think one reason for my poor mpg at times (even allowing for the short journey in the winter thing) is coming to terms with the best way to drive them. To overcome an initial sluggishness, especially at the lights, I've been in the habit of opening the throttle in a rather heavy footed way. I've been looking into various techniques to maximise fuel economy with the CVT and the key seems to be "linear" throttle inputs - squeezing the pedal rather than a more aggressive stamping on the pedal approach.

It's blindingly obvious really and it was how I used to drive manuals with the imaginary egg between foot and accelerator. I'm finding that the "linear" approach is absolutely the way to drive a CVT and this avoids the rubber band effect where the engine roars up the rev range with little result in terms of acceleration. The car actually seems to move off the line more briskly and higher gear ratios are achieved earlier as well.

More squeeze less stamping!

My experience of CVT on other vehicles was that CVT will always look to be in highest ration possible when driven normally without sudden movements of the loud pedal.  One reason CVT was good on snow was that the power to provoke a skid was limited as long as accelerator input was reasonable.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chris bailey

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 jazz s 1.3
« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2021, 10:14:22 PM »
Had Mk2 Jazz, Have Mk3 and new Mk4 on order. Current model is 1.3 S manual with 31000 miles on the clock.
Total mileage divided by all fuel purchased since new gives 60.48 mpg. Most journeys 21 miles on A15 and minor roads at around 55mph.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2021, 07:50:47 AM »
That's a very good average. My Mk1 seems to give its best on A roads.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
Had Mk2 Jazz, Have Mk3 and new Mk4 on order. Current model is 1.3 S manual with 31000 miles on the clock.
Total mileage divided by all fuel purchased since new gives 60.48 mpg. Most journeys 21 miles on A15 and minor roads at around 55mph.
I thought I was doing well at 52 mpg, but I do a lot of mileage at around 65 mph.  With your pattern of driving, you should achieve outstanding economy with the hybrid.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2021, 12:01:07 PM »
Actually, with the hybrid I didn't see much difference between motorway style roads and doing mountainous B roads this last weekend. Very similar mid 60s mpg.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2021, 08:44:50 PM »
Actually, with the hybrid I didn't see much difference between motorway style roads and doing mountainous B roads this last weekend. Very similar mid 60s mpg.
The Mk 4's hybrid system provides little benefit at motorway speed. There should be slightly higher transmission efficiency when in direct drive move plus the full Atkinson cycle engine but these may be offset by the extra weight of the battery and electronics. If, however, you encounter crawling traffic then the hybrid system makes it less tedious and fuel wasting. Mountainous conditions make the engine work hard on the uphills while the battery doesn't have sufficient capacity to absorb all the regenerated energy on the descents.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #396 on: June 22, 2021, 06:59:55 AM »
Some time ago I did a high speed road trip on motorway with AC on. I tried to maintain approximately 85 mph speed whenever possible. No surprise, that mileage went down to about 38,7 mpg (UK), (7,3 l/100 km)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:38:29 AM by TnTkr »

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #397 on: July 05, 2021, 07:41:50 PM »
My Mk3 1.3s has averaged 53mpg for the last 6 months and 6,100 miles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #398 on: July 27, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
My mpg is pretty disappointing at the moment. A tad over 40 mpg when I filled today (actual - the computer said 44.8). I'm just wondering if I'm taking a hit from the aircon after a period of exceptionally hot weather. To be fair I haven't done any distance driving.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #399 on: July 27, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »
My mpg is pretty disappointing at the moment. A tad over 40 mpg when I filled today (actual - the computer said 44.8). I'm just wondering if I'm taking a hit from the aircon after a period of exceptionally hot weather. To be fair I haven't done any distance driving.

For really short trips (a mile or so) you're going to see about 40mpg at best.

To tame the aircon a little, use the "eco" button.

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »
Meanwhile, at the other end of the fuel economy spectrum, I had another one of my 19mpg trips yesterday. At those speeds you're moving so fast and the miles are being torn up so quick you can almost see the fuel gauge dropping.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #401 on: August 22, 2021, 11:11:01 AM »
I had reason to drive about 70mls (each way) on the M6 the other day, through Birmingham (aaaargh!). Air temp was around 20C, dry, little wind, more or less ideal.
The traffic flowed reasonably OK but speeds were low, typically between 40 and 50mph without any significant stops, and I always try to hang back a bit to smooth out the speed. This again is actually probably near ideal conditions for fuel economy.
I was deliberately trying to maximise economy, so accelerating very gently where possible.
My car is a 2018 SE CVT with just over 3k miles on it (yes, I know........). OK, these are the trip meter readings, possibly a bit optimistic, but even so .....

Trip north, average 81.4mpg.
return trip south, 76.2mpg.

A magazine did a Land's End/JoG run in a manual Jazz and reported 94mpg at an average speed of about 40mph. I can believe it is possible. I usually see numbers just above 60mpg around here, but I don't do commuting or traffic if possible. I'm very impressed with what this Jazz is capable of returning, conditions permitting.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #402 on: August 22, 2021, 07:31:27 PM »
Those are great numbers. I find slow-moving traffic an mpg bonus.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #403 on: August 22, 2021, 08:16:48 PM »
took my 07 jazz manual on its first long run yesterday.. did it good to clear the cobwebs out of it as it had done less than 3000 miles per year over the last few years..did a 500 mile round trip .. mostly motorway. i found at around 50-60 mpg guage was showing average 52mpg but doing  70 it was 56 plus mpg..

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #404 on: August 22, 2021, 08:51:31 PM »
All this 60+ mpg results on here and then theres me who did 300 miles exactly on 36 litres (7.91 gallons) giving me 37.9mpg, not bad for me. I could probably get 50mpg if I wanted, but I value time and enjoyment over a few quid.

Tags: