Author Topic: Change your battery  (Read 84325 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Change your battery
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »
I've only had to change the battery on one other car. My Skoda Octavia at 8yrs old had the original battery die. So, Haynes manual was consulted for the change, and relevant parts highlighted in preperation for relaunch sequence. Low and behold, absolutely no need. As other have said, speed is the key. The car ends up without power for <2mins.

For reference, even though our Jazz has only been with us for a month and 1000 miles, to my ear it was turning over a little slowly. Almost like the starter motor was not giving its all. Well, with the new battery, the starter motor is turning much faster.

So pleased to have done this now, rather than in a few weeks time when the cold weather arrives. £37 well spent.

Jan0

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz Si
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 10:05:29 PM »
I've just changed the battery of my 2014 Jazz.  The car was batteryless for about 3 hours.  After installing the new battery it drove as expected.  I did have to supply the radio code.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 04:08:26 PM »
purchased my 07 . 1.4 jazz a couple of weeks ago. when i picked it up the battery was flat so the trader jump started it.. said the mech working on it must of left something on.. anyway hes bought me a new battery just in case although its been fine ever since.. but the engine light came on after he jump started it but cleared that and fault came up with low voltage that he cleared so no warning light since. i reset the radio window function etc and clock.. steering was iffy for the first few miles but  seams ok now..although im only getting about 32mpg since ive had it.
now the thing is il change the new battery on it soon . im hoping there wont be the engine light coming back on .. and was wondering if the poor mpg maybe down to the ecu not getting retrained? although the car drives and ticks over like a swiss watch ..perfect..

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2021, 06:40:41 PM »
Changed the new Battery today.. reset window radio etc . no warning light thank god lol..  mpg meter is now showing between 18mpg and 28mpg on a run . car drives like new . very strange.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »
Changed the new Battery today.. reset window radio etc . no warning light thank god lol..  mpg meter is now showing between 18mpg and 28mpg on a run . car drives like new . very strange.

A failing battery can cause all sorts of mischief on modern cars,  everything needs electrickery - even the power steering ( about 40 amps on MK1 2002-2008,  and 60 amps on MK2 --> ).  People have cured niggling problems with power steering and many other things by replacing the battery. Of course the battery even more important on later models with auto stop start etc,  and of course battery REALLY important on electric cars.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 07:40:20 PM »
A failing battery can cause all sorts of mischief on modern cars,  everything needs electrickery - even the power steering ( about 40 amps on MK1 2002-2008,  and 60 amps on MK2 --> ).  People have cured niggling problems with power steering and many other things by replacing the battery. Of course the battery even more important on later models with auto stop start etc,  and of course battery REALLY important on electric cars.

;D  ;D 

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2021, 09:46:16 PM »
I've got a late Series 1 (2008)  GE3 on the VIN
Can I change the battery normally or do I need to use the complicated scenario?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2021, 10:25:26 AM »

I believe that the radio code stored in permanent memory in ECU only came in with MK2 ( others on here probably have more info because - see my post below  - I never take power of system when changing batteries ).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5K8JN6/?tag=rv4campers-20

I have had something similar to this for many years ( home made with 20 metre roll of cheap speaker cable ) instead of male to female I have male plugs on both ends ( you can buy the self wiring or soldered plugs ebay / amazon or  local motor factors ).  You do need a second vehicle as a power donor,  alternatively if you have an older 12v battery lying around ( size does not matter so a motorbike battery will do, only need enough current to keep car ECU etc powered up  ) fit crocodile clips to one end of cable. The centre pin of power plug should be positive - I balk at the idea of connecting a battery charger because in the absence of a battery to load up the charger some of them can go up to 18 volts,  which could fry some equipment,  and even  low power charger will be confused,  and anyway to ensure correct polarity  most chargers these days need to sense a decent voltage coming back from battery to charger before they allow voltage to flow from charger to battery,  which is why most new chargers will not charge a flat battery. 

Anyhow, if another vehicle involved make sure whether power on accessory power socket ( AKA cigarette lighter ) with ignition on, if not will need to turn on ignition to position 1 ( accessory ) - if a Honda they normally do not leave power on the socket with ignition off, some german and European cars seem to leave power on socket all the time.   Because power socket not connected to electrics on a Honda you will need to turn on ignition on the car you are replacing battery on ( to allow the socket to connect to car electrical system ).  Using this setup I have never had a problem after changing battery ( but the only problem I ever had anyway was that radio code ).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:44:53 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »
Mk1, certainly up to 2006, don't have a coded radio. I was of the understanding they were introduced with the Mk2.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »

If I remember correctly, GE is a Mk2 (MY 2009). That does have a coded radio.

The most obvious difference between the Mk1 and the Mk2 is that the Mk1 has a red dot on the J in the word "jazz" on the tailgate (also it has one crease down the centre of the bonnet, vs. two on the Mk2).

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2021, 06:22:56 PM »

The most obvious difference between the Mk1 and the Mk2 is that the Mk1 has a red dot on the J in the word "jazz" on the tailgate (also it has one crease down the centre of the bonnet, vs. two on the Mk2).
I will check for both the points you mentioned .  .  .  .  .  .  maybe I have a early Mk 2 and not a late Mk 1  !!

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2021, 06:43:48 PM »

I

The most obvious difference between the Mk1 and the Mk2 is that the Mk1 has a red dot on the J in the word "jazz" on the tailgate.

A dealer toils the colour of the dot is a code for DSi engines and another colour for Vtec engines

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2021, 09:38:17 PM »

OK, reporting back my observations.
1)  My Jazz logo has a red dot  .  .  .  .  .  .  this may signify a Mk 1 or an i-DSI as someone just mentioned.
2)  Bonnet has one crease in the middle .  .  .  .  .  .  which signifies a Mk 1 apparantly.
3)  VIN digits 4, 5 and 6 are GE3   .  .  .  .  .  .  is this Mk 1 or Mk 2?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 01:25:09 AM by WelshBeauty »

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2021, 09:43:17 PM »
According to Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Fit_(first_generation)

GE3  is  a  1.3 L L13A i-DSI inline-four 2WD
(2007 Europe 1.4 L model. Made in China)

Tags: