Author Topic: surely this isnt right ?  (Read 1013 times)

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
surely this isnt right ?
« on: September 13, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »
yep im going to bring up the question on steering again .. after seeing so many posts on the stickyness being how they are .. i have to question the problem.. on my 2007 jazz 1.4 when cold and town driving its fine but once i get on the motorway between 60-70mph it slowly becomes extremely sticky trying to keep it in a straight line to the point its making my hands ache lol.. when i have to slow down for congestion it remains sticky. only if we stop in a services and restart the car again its ok untill we reach speed where the problem returns.. so frustrating as its not a bad car apart from that.. ive noticed other members that say they had the rack replaced stated it cured the stickyness . but most seam to accept it as a honda typical curio ?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: surely this isnt right ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 04:05:15 PM »
Have search on here, I am sure I have seen this attributed to a dying battery.

Vic.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »
vic  .it has a brand new battery . replaced about 4 weeks ago

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »
vic  .it has a brand new battery . replaced about 4 weeks ago

1)  Check alternator belt is correctly tensioned and not loose causing slipping and undercharging of the battery
2) Buy a voltmeter which plugs into the 12V socket and monitor voltage to see if alternator is charging properly.
(Image attached for a voltmeter/USB charger on Ebay)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:33:22 PM by E27006 »

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 05:50:48 PM »
car is charging fine .
its a shame one cant disconnect the high speed system that cuts out the power steering.. if it was the same on the motorway as at urban driving think id be happy lol

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 07:00:19 PM »
There are two issues that afflict the mk.1 Jazz steering, one is the dead, lifeless feel with poor centring, and the other is a stickiness, or 'notchy' feeling to the steering.

The lifeless feel to the steering is a normal characteristic of the Jazz, but the notchiness is a fault. The symptom occurs particularly after keeping the wheel in the same position for a while, you have to exert more pressure than usual to make the wheel turn, before it suddenly gives way. If found that the problem did not occur for 10 miles or so from cold.

Ours was cured, a couple of threads below with some discussion, and still remains fine to this day.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10179.0

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11221.0

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 07:15:50 PM »
sounds like your symtons were similar.. although id say to be honest mine can get to the stage of down right dangerous.
when i say sticky i mean sticky.. so when your trying to straighten it with little corrections it just gives. has a feeling like the columns siezing up.. but when cold and driving around town . anything up to 50mph  its fine even warmed up.. 60 and above it starts siezing up after a few miles.. steerings ok if your just turning .. its just the straight position where the problem lies

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 07:22:06 PM »
Some days, ours was horrible.

The problem really shows itself when you maintain a fixed steering position for long periods before making a steering input, such as you do on motorway driving.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 07:34:49 PM »
well yes.. although once it starts its always there . also although it steers ok it doesnt like  going to the straight position unless you steer it straight again.. example was last friday coming back from leicester on the m69  . came off on the m6 turn off and thought id try something as its such a tight turn .. i turned the steering in to the bend . then let go of the wheel and the car was happy continuing to turn into the bend by itself until i straightened it when we leveled out

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »
I have the same issue and remember reading about this. Everything is smooth when cold, but once warmed up the steering becomes sticky/notchy.

At one point I was going to try Sparky Paul's method and try hitting the underside of the steering wheel with a rubber mallet. However I was concerned I might brake something so didn't bother in the end.

I've had the car over 3 years now and the notchy steering issue has not gotten worse (or better) as far as I can recall. It's been very consistent. I wonder if the car was like this when new, or slowly developed over the years.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 01:37:54 PM »
i doupt any banging or knocking would help.. its clearly something to do with the system and the problem would lie in the speed control part of it as its only prevelant at a certain speed.. although there are common issues with this steering im sure this isnt right. almost like a sensor isnt triggering the steering from straight ahead position when high speeds are recorded ?. ive been in the motor trade most of my life and never come across anything like this before. not even on other EPS systems. i know the Fiat system can become troublesome with low charged batterys especially in the winter when everything like heated rear window heater blower wipers etc are pulling the voltage load.. but when working they are fine on the motorway..

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 09:01:24 PM »
The steering wheel angle is sensed by a clockspring, is the clockspring in good condition?,
I believe the power steering computer has an input from the Vss signal, Vss being vehicle speed, perhaps your computer module is faulty.
I believe there is a heavy duty electrical ground wire between the steering rack and the vehicle body, have a look underneath the car and check the wire is connected and in good condition.

Tags:

anything