Author Topic: Help please re: fluids and maintenance, just bought a 2008 model  (Read 1787 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Help please re: fluids and maintenance, just bought a 2008 model
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 04:27:56 PM »
One thing to be aware of. Something lots of mechanics don't seem to know. The DSi engine (Dual Spark) has EIGHT spark plugs. Four along the front and four along the back. Many times the rear set fail to get changed which leads to problems. Your's however, at 7,400 miles have probably never been looked at.

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
 Hi There, My oil preference is 1st choice Castrol 5w30 then 2nd choice 0w30, If you have service book they also give you report sheet one had 0w30 and another year had 5w30 (when I queried this they said whatever they had in stock and both covered my car). Brake fluid i always get a branded one (See europarts for compatible oils and fluids), Antifreeze yes you mix with tape water see percentage amount on bottle. I premix my antifreeze before filling up and then empty the bottle then top up with water, Make sure you set heater matrix to hot so that also empties and fills up.
            Hope that helps Henry

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
The manual gives you a choice depending on the temperature.

I have used 10W-40 to top up, as I had some spare in my garage.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
Be a little careful with coolants. The additives used are tailored for specific circumstances to suit different engines. One example is the use of silicates, which in some engines can lead to premature pump seal wear etc.

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-type-2-coolant-5-litre-pre-mixed/ would suggest that it needs a silicate free coolant. Many are but some are not.
FWIW I haven't put anything in my Jazz as yet, but for my other vehicles I use Comma G30 which is based on the BASF Glysantin30 coolant and is silicate free, others are available. https://www.commaoil.com/products/results/91080622

Most coolants use ethylene glycol as the anti-freeze element, and should be mixed 50/50 with water.
As a rule, don't use tap water. Use either distilled or more likely de-ionised water. You can get 5L of de-ionised water from the likes of Eurocarparts for a couple of ££. Tap water may contain undesirable stuff (limescale etc).
At a push clean filtered rainwater is OK if nothing else is available.

Check whether the coolant you use is "ready to use" (pre-mixed) or is in concentrate form (add 50/50 water)

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
Whether I plump for 5w30 or 0w30, should I pay attention to the additional lettering that some oils have?

I will explain.
Castrol EDGE 5W-30   LL
Castrol EDGE 0W-30   A5/B5
Castrol EDGE 0W-40   A3/B4

Or you can have just the straight 5w30 or 0w30?

Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
LL are long life oils
Opie oil gives a list of oils for your car.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/f/2354/38366/2008/engine-oil.aspx

I just buy quality oil of the viscosity I wish.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »
I have used different coolants Like Halfords Pink OAT,  and In motorbikes ( because it is easy to get all coolant out ) used Comma G30 to replace OEM coolant.  Reason I used Honda https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-type-2-coolant-5-litre-pre-mixed/  in cars is that it was actually cheaper than others, or at least not wildly more expensive and because I never attempt to get all the coolant out of car engines ( had a problem years ago with persistent airlocks affecting heater etc after trying it ) I now just get out what comes out of a cold engine radiator ( thermostat remains closed ) which is normally 50% of total or about 2 litres ( I measure what comes out and make sure same amount goes back in ) and repeat the 50% change after a few weeks - The benefit of using Honda Blue ( silicate free ) stuff is that the coolant stays a nice blue colour,  If you only change 50% you get a strange colour if you mix blue original with new pink or orange stuff..... It is not the antifreeze ( ethylene glycol ) part of coolant  that wears out it is the anti-corrosion additives.   Pretty much every aluminium engine made since about 1998 will be silicate free.  If you put silicate coolant in it will play havoc with water pump seals.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 12:02:53 AM »
...... Reason I used Honda https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-type-2-coolant-5-litre-pre-mixed/  in cars is that it was actually cheaper than others, or at least not wildly more expensive and because I never attempt to get all the coolant out of car engines ( had a problem years ago with persistent airlocks affecting heater etc after trying it ) I now just get out what comes out of a cold engine radiator ( thermostat remains closed ) which is normally 50% of total or about 2 litres .....

.... Pretty much every aluminium engine made since about 1998 will be silicate free.  If you put silicate coolant in it will play havoc with water pump seals.
Totally agree about the car engine coolant change principle, just drain out what comes easily and replenish. Don't try to get everything out. If done at regular intervals it's a perfectly good method.

There are some coolants for modern(ish) engines which do contain silicates, for example https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/542  , just need to check the data sheets.

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »
I'm confused, should I go for silicate free Anti-Freeze, or with Silicates?

Thanks for everything so far lads.

guest4871

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »
Try this for guidance:

https://www.commaoil.com/

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 01:48:24 PM »
Thanks zzaJ,  www.commaoil.com  is a very thorough site.   
They don't recommend top brands though do they? eg. Castrol, etc       
But I could just buy the equivalent in Castrol I suppose?

Thanks though, brilliant site.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 02:34:55 PM »
Comma don't recommend other top brands because they are an oil/fluids company selling their own products.  ;D

The Cox's site shows the Honda Type 2 coolant with the statement "Silicate free!" (sic), so it's a fairly safe bet that's the type to go with.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 02:53:20 PM »
I'm confused, should I go for silicate free Anti-Freeze, or with Silicates?

Thanks for everything so far lads.

Definitely silicate free!   As far as I know only classic ( before 1998 LOL  ) may need silicate - its an old technology.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:13:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2021, 11:42:31 PM »
Tesco or Aldi often gets Castrol on offers 5w30
But, they also has sub categories to A5, C3, C2 etc. Does this sub categories important? Or any 5w30 Castrol is okay please? Tia!

Welcome. For a DSi, I would go for 5W-30. 0W-30 is fine for a low mileage engine but for an older engine, 5W-30 will give better protection. Castrol is ideal.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2021, 07:58:40 PM »
Last lot of Castrol Magnatec A5 5w30 I got was from Halfords when it was on sale at £17.50. Sits in my garage ready for the next oil change.

Tags: