Author Topic: specifications  (Read 10331 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
specifications
« on: March 23, 2024, 05:57:35 PM »
Step one.  Introduce your wife to £0,90 per litre  wine box.    Step 2 . Dispense in sufficient quantities that your wife says "I'm done with frugal, I dont want a car with less than we have now"   Good investment.

What do you regard as essential and worth the extra.  Which would be better spent on better wine.? 
I know its been discussed before. Maybe the answer is to refer to a previous thread.   But there new members and new trim  trim models.

For me, reversing camera is a must.  Maybe an after market option if necessary.  Heated seats, probably , heated steering wheel maybe.    Inbuilt satnav, No if smart phone alternatives can be displayed.   Extra faux leather trim -no.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Re: specifications
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 06:48:48 PM »
I don't drink wine so... I want everything :) Seriously leather seats used to be nice, had them in the Civics, but nowadays not worth it with part coverings they now do. Low profile tyres on our terrible roads, complete waste of money! Heated seats and steering so much quicker than the air con, once comfortable after a couple of minutes you hardly need the aircon. Satnav a must, Android auto good enough. The last Civic had motor seats with side and lumbar adjusts, don't really miss it, Jazz seats are just fine.

Frankly the best feature not on the Jazz is the all round cameras in the E, they are just brilliant for parking, you can judge kerbs within cm so easily, better than stretching and upping and downing the side mirrors, garages and public car parks now a breeze. I really would want that in any car from now on.

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 06:54:37 PM »
Things I like, and would pay for:
- Reverse camera. Makes reversing a breeze. It would be even better if the camera could hide itself from dust, like on a Mercedes-Benz or Volkswagen.
- Heated seats and heated steering wheel. I don't need to bring gloves to car anymore.
- Ability to tow a trailer. 2024 Jazz models can tow up to 500 kg, which is good. But I would wish for 750 kg. 2023 models were not approved for towing for some reason.
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror. Jazz doesn't have this, but I would pay for this if this was an accessory.
- Satnav or (Carplay and Android auto) or at least a holder for phone. Some way to display maps while driving.
- 2-spoke steering wheel. Lets you hold the wheel from the bottom as well. Jazz Advance and Crosstar have this, but Jazz Sport doesn't.

Things I wouldn't pay for:
- Roof rails on Crosstar. They add drag, wasting fuel. And they are on the way when brushing snow off the roof of the car. Still I'm going to keep them on my Crosstar, they aren't that bad.
- Low profile tyres and large wheels. Sensitive to potholes and more expensive to replace too. Most Jazz models come with 16" wheels. I wish they came with 15" wheels instead.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:13:47 PM by ahavoja »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 07:25:53 PM »
I went for the EX Style, as it had what I was used to on my previous Renaults:
Reverse camera
Heated seats/steering wheel
Sat nav
Door protectors and rear spoiler
Climate control
Auto cruise control
Side collision monitor
Front and rear parking sensors

So, all these gadgets/trickery I had become used to and enjoyed. I wasn't prepared to go backwards and lose these luxuries.

What I do miss that the Renaults had, were auto dimming mirror, TomTom (which I did find better than the Garmin.. but only slightly) and height adjusting/positioning passenger seat... although the magic seats do make up for this loss.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 08:12:03 PM »
Good point, I always get door protectors, and wish they would integrate them more into designs to make them less obvious but really practical. Not our Jazz, but most SUVs that dominate the market are bigger and bigger, with public parking smaller and smaller in comparison.

JB

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Advance Sport Hybrid
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 09:10:40 PM »
Dash-cam would have been nice as standard equipment even better front and rear would maybe put the roundabout shunters off from making a false claim.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 09:13:36 PM »
I miss the auto-folding mirrors that Honda left off my HR-V. Fortunately I have the reversing camera and heated seats. I don't want tinted glass on the back windows as it increases the risk of motion sickness for any rear seat passengers. It would be nice to have parking sensors which showed the distance (inches/or cm) but I don't know if anyone offers that feature. Then there's the matter of having proper knobs and buttons for controlling the heating/ventilation. And I'll vote for small wheels with high profile tyres that can absorb the impact from the potholes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 09:14:50 PM »
Dash-cam would have been nice as standard equipment even better front and rear would maybe put the roundabout shunters off from making a false claim.
Good point: The cameras are built in so all that's needed is a memory card slot.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 09:52:15 PM »
Good point: The cameras are built in so all that's needed is a memory card slot.

Has been discussed before. Problem is that in some countries dashcams are not legal.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 04:49:09 AM »
The cars I've seen with built in or optional dashcams have been poor quality 1080p jobs, at best, with low bitrates with unknown sensors

Trying to read number plates of oncoming vehicles except at crawling speeds is almost impossible

My Viofo A119 V3 captures most details with good clarity and the latest Viofo models seem even better
Let's be careful out there !

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 09:17:59 PM »
We've all gone soft.  Heated steering wheels and seats - love them, but surely in the category of luxury we can 'easily' live without.  We all used to live without them.  However we used to live without parking sensors and reverse cameras, but I'd find those a lot harder to give up!!  The thing I'd really not like to be without now is adaptive cruise.  Faux or real leather - absolutely couldn't care less - rather have nice cloth seats.  As for auto-dimming rear view mirrors.  I have NEVER found one that I think is any good on any car.  Much prefer manual dimming mirrors.  I know loads of people love them - each to their own!!   Dash cams - like to try one. Currently have a camera recording sticker in the rear window which seems to work quite well, I guess cost / ease of fitting has put me off so far, but I will take the plunge soon  ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 06:30:16 AM »
Dashcams are a pain to wire as ideally they need the Option Connector to help hide the wiring

Using the fag socket with a wire draping up and across the dash is a big no no for me

Heated seats and steering wheel, never used them. Always found my body heat does a perfectly good job.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 07:58:21 AM »
If you have an EX with standard  rear passenger USB power points  these are rated at 2 amps,which is normally more than enough to power a dashcam.  (But best to check)     I connect my FRONT  dash cam (a Garmin mini 2) to one of these  using the extra long usb lead that came in the box. (or you could buy a lead separately)  It was long enough to hide behind trim etc for its entire length making it an  unobtrusive semi permanent fixture. I only unplug it when entering countries where dashcams are illegal.   I could probably connect a rear dashcam to the other rear socket in the same way but havnt done so. 

Been using another car recently without reversing camera, and cross traffic  monitoring  , and its been a literal pain in the neck reversing out of parking spaces.   I am reasonably flexible for an old codger ,and do supplement mirrors, cameras bleepers etc by  physically turning my head, and torso for a better view  but I did miss the added reassurance of gismos.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 08:00:32 AM »
Dashcams are a pain to wire as ideally they need the Option Connector to help hide the wiring

Using the fag socket with a wire draping up and across the dash is a big no no for me

Heated seats and steering wheel, never used them. Always found my body heat does a perfectly good job.

Why would you need to drape the wiring over the dash from the fag socket? It is easily threaded around and under the dash and trim, up into the roof liner. Apart from a couple of inches of wire from the fag socket going into the passenger footwell, everything else is hidden.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:15:17 AM by Nicksey »

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2024, 10:20:33 AM »
Thats exactly how I installed my dashcam

Things I could do without? Almost ever "extra" included in modern cars, specifically (but not limited to):-
Privacy glass (makes the rear view very dim)
Heated seats/wheel
Most "driver aids" especially lane departure warning and the like. If you NEED aids like this then you should consider if you are concentrating enough on your driving.
Pseudo buttons (impossible to use without taking your eyes off of the road)
Mobile phone integration (again, you should be driving not holding a potentially stressful conversation)

I could go on, but I'll shut up before you realise what an old fart I really am.

Tags: