Author Topic: renewing x2 front tyres  (Read 1941 times)

guest7494

renewing x2 front tyres
« on: November 12, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
The 2 front original Dunlops are fairly worn but are horrid anyway so good riddance,I am keeping the two original Dunlops on the rear, loads of tread etc.
Any recommendations for the replacement fronts would be appreciated.
Mk 3 Jazz EX cvt 2017 16 inch Alloys.
Dunlops very hard ride perhaps something more comfortable !!!
Many thanks in advance.

I am a dummkopf I should have searched the forum for previous entries, so my apologies to one and all for a repeat posting.
I am now reviewing the previous posts etc to find an answer to my quandary.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: renewing x2 front tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »
Just replaced my two front tyres at 25000 miles on my 65 plate ex.
Kept to the same brand Bridgestone.
But I did have the rear put to the front, about 4-5 mm still left on them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
ill vote for michelin energy savers, they are very good and very long life, good in the wet too

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 04:44:12 PM »
ill vote for michelin energy savers, they are very good and very long life (over 30k on the front, never rotated) on my last jazz, good in the wet too

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »
ill vote for michelin energy savers, they are very good and very long life (over 30k on the front, never rotated) on my last jazz. i only changed them as the inner sides on both tires were wearing but the rest of the tread had 3mm+ left, i always change at 3mm anyway, they were good in the wet too

im happy i have michelin energy saver on my current jazz too
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:55:39 PM by monkeydave »

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:59:03 PM »
replaced 3 tyres on my jazz 16" Davinti  brilliant ride and wear good grip in the wet look them up

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 06:01:30 PM »
ill vote for michelin energy savers, they are very good and very long life, good in the wet too

I always used to get Michelin for their high mileage and sort of put up with the less than optimum grip and 'soggy' handling because I was doing 25K a year,  but since 2014 when I moved to a job about 5 miles away and no real traveling and no longer needed the high mileage I looked for something with better grip and steering,  am happy with the Avons on both our cars as the grip in damp and wet is much better than Michelin ES+.  Michelins were always renowned for their longer life, but it came at the price of a harder compound with less grip,  the ES+ also have a soft sidewall which does not help handling. The difference in grip can be felt in the reaction of the ABS,  whcih worked hard with Michelins when braking hard in the wet, with the Avons it hardly intervenes,  and likewise pulling away with the VSC,  I used to go around islands in the wet and apply power,  the VSC light would blink and the car would slowly drift sideways with ES+,  where the VSC light does not come on anywhere near as often with grippier tyres.   So Michelin last longer,  but at the expense of grip I am afraid.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 06:27:15 PM »
  am happy with the Avons on both our cars
ZV7?

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 07:33:39 PM »
I've had Michelin ES's all around on my Jazz for over 40K miles and I've not had any traction issues, the only time my ABS ever kicks in is when I drive over manhole cover in the wet on a steep hill, just before a T junction.

I friend of mine drives Mini Coopers and usually chooses Avons but not sure of the model.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
Another vote for Michelin Energy Savers.

I usually get 40k from the front tyres and 80k from the rear tyres, but half of that is motorway miles, the other half is at the hands of learners.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 11:24:48 PM »
We have Coopers on both of ours, on the front of the mk1, and all four fitted by the supplying Honda dealer on the mk2.

No complaints at all. Same company as Avon, made in the same factory.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
At this time of year I would be tempted to put a pair of Winters on the front, almost any brand would do. I used Landsail on my HRV. You will be unstoppable. Alternatively some All Season tyres if you don't live in a hilly area prone to snow.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
Fitting winter tyres on the front only can lead to some pretty hair raising effects,  mainly when braking and going around corners - it is a bit like having good tyres on the front and bald ones on the rear.

Interesting video from Michelin in this article

http://whichtyres.com/2011/10/can-i-only-fit-two-winter-tyres/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »
  am happy with the Avons on both our cars
ZV7?

175/65R15   ZT-5 on Jazz and 205/55R16   ZV-7 on Civic..

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 02:40:02 PM »
Fitting winter tyres on the front only can lead to some pretty hair raising effects,  mainly when braking and going around corners - it is a bit like having good tyres on the front and bald ones on the rear.

Interesting video from Michelin in this article

http://whichtyres.com/2011/10/can-i-only-fit-two-winter-tyres/
Well I put 4 x Winter tyres on my Mk2 Jazz and it was extremely surefooted on ice and snow and unstoppable on the severe bendy hill up tp my village. However it felt like overkill. When I got my HRV, the Tyreshop owner, who you would think would be incentivised to sell me more tyres, said that in his vast experience it would only really be necessary to have them on the driving wheels.

Practical experience, albeit they were different cars, was that there was no twitchiness or traction issues with the Winters just on the front and the effect on grip was just the same in the snow. I guess if you drive like Lewis Hamilton you may face issues by mixing and matching. But I don't drive like him. I'm much more of a Reginald Molehusband.

Tags: