Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694006 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1680 on: November 27, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »
Take the manufacturers range with a pinch of salt and wait for owner reviews.
That's the same as any car: EV or petrol.

I agree, many of the fuel economy figures quoted for modern petrol and diesel cars are complete fantasy. Just look at the ranges of mpg reported on Honest John's Real MPG, particularly those small petrol turbos

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1681 on: November 27, 2020, 10:57:46 AM »
I ignore HJ's mpg figures.

Unless the method  of calculating mpg is defined, your will get those who look at the car display after a motorway run and say 55mpg.. ignoring the 30mpg around town.

Brim to brim over months (or better still years) and a spreadsheet or Fuelly is believable. The rest are junk..

Being OCD I have records going back over decades :o :o

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1682 on: November 27, 2020, 11:09:49 AM »
Take the manufacturers range with a pinch of salt and wait for owner reviews.

Friend has a Jag iPace. Manufacturer said 225 but he says 175. He reckons the 225 is only achievable on certain days when no heating or aircon, wipers and he doesn't use the audio, etc.

Yes. To be fair though the WLTP figures are a huge improvement on the old NEDC figures. One of the issues with EVs seems to be that adverse conditions seem to have a bigger proportional impact than they would on the mpg figures of an ICE car. I say seem, I don't know if that is actually the case but the fall off in range in cold wet weather with all features on (wipers, heat, aircon/climate control) is dramatic. It's why the acquaintance with the 40 kwh Leaf admits he often drives with the climate control off and at low speeds.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1683 on: November 27, 2020, 01:39:59 PM »
I ignore HJ's mpg figures.

You have to go on something when you choose a new car, and these days, the manufacturer's figures are wildly optimistic in many cases.

Most of the cars I've had in the past have comfortably achieved the average figures given by the manufacturers back then, for my mix of driving. I think some of the figures quoted by the new measurements are unachievable, going on anecdotal evidence from other owners.

My main car is supposed to average 62.8mpg, but I can only get close to that on a long steady run. The best I can get with mixed rural driving is around 54-55mpg, and that's on the fibometer. Other drivers of the same car get similar or less.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's remarkable for a car that weighs the best part of 2 ton, but I don't think the manufacturer's figures are plausible.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #1684 on: November 27, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »
Same here, I have a very light right foot and look/think ahead to avoid unnecessary braking. I'm currently achieving just over 50mpg with my 1.8 slushbox Civic.

At my last service, 6 years/22k miles, my original brake pads were reported at 80% left. Still on original tyres as well with loads of meat left..

When I worked I changed my car every 3 years at about 30k and never paid out for tyres or brake pads..
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1685 on: November 27, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »
I still have the brake pads that were on the car when I bought it, 44,500 miles ago. And they were not new then.

The more I research the MG5, the more I like it. Robert Llewellyn likes it too but says that the more you drive it, the more you find it's little "foibles". Like not a big enough area for fitting a UK number plate. However, he says none of that affects the use and practicality of the car.

"People" look at it and say, but it is a "Chinese" car. As I said earlier, the same was said about the Kia and Hyundai.
And when Japanese cars started to be sold in the UK, they were all labelled "Jap crap". Don't hear that description these days.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1686 on: November 27, 2020, 06:17:38 PM »
The more I research the MG5, the more I like it. Robert Llewellyn likes it too but says that the more you drive it, the more you find it's little "foibles". Like not a big enough area for fitting a UK number plate. However, he says none of that affects the use and practicality of the car.

Once they start shifting volume, I don't think it will take the Chinese long to iron the wrinkles out.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1687 on: November 29, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »
This article I read today highlights some real world problems with using an electric car.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

I dont think I'll be buying one anytime soon.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:21:23 PM by Westy36 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1688 on: November 29, 2020, 01:32:40 PM »
I have had plenty encouragement fro local EV drivers that the charging network around here is good and you do not need a home charger, but I plan to charge at home which will do all my motoring needs. Infrastructure is what is holding up the sale of EVs here in the UK. Perhaps the popularity of Teslas is down to the preponderance of dedicated charger.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1689 on: November 29, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »
With very few electric cars around the network may seem good. I've noticed at my local Tesco that they have 1 charging point with 4 outlets.

I've only ever seen 1 car plugged in at a time so any arriving EV drivers, up to 3 more, would also consider charging whilst shopping easy.

Move forward a few years towards 2030 and unless Tesco install charging points all over the carpark, possible, then there could be queues and moans.

When Tesco had it installed, about 50 yards from the store, they dug a trench and laid a substantial cable from the main electric room. I wonder what upgrade the electric room would need to power say 100 cars, although the car park must have nearly 1000 spaces and what about the cable running into the room from the national grid ?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1690 on: November 29, 2020, 10:54:16 PM »
This article I read today highlights some real world problems with using an electric car.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

I dont this I'll be buying one anytime soon.
It's the 30p/kWh cost (when the charger works) which has put me off as that is in the same range as the petrol bill and the major part of my annual mileage is in longer trips. However, an EV makes more sense for those with a shortish daily commute for which the battery can be topped up using cheap overnight electricity.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1691 on: November 30, 2020, 06:59:11 AM »
30p/kW is the top price and tends to be motorway service stations. I never buy petrol at motorway service stations as it costs an arm and a leg there. If I need petrol on a motorway trip (very seldom), I normally come off, stop at a local supermarket then rejoin the motorway.
John: Do you buy the bulk of your petrol at motorway service stations or your local filling station?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1692 on: November 30, 2020, 07:25:50 AM »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1693 on: November 30, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
John: Do you buy the bulk of your petrol at motorway service stations or your local filling station?
I've never bought fuel at a motorway service station in recent memory.

However, I think if you research EV charging costs then the 30p/kWh is quite common for commercially managed chargers wherever they are. See, for example, https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/how-much-ev-charging-and-running-cost/ . Of course, if there's ever enough of these chargers that the market will get competitive then prices will drop and perhaps also reflect the time-of-day price fluctuations of the real electricity market.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1694 on: December 01, 2020, 04:15:47 PM »
This could be a rumour I stumbled upon:

Electric car batteries need lithium and cobalt. The cobalt comes from the Congo often using child labour. China gets 73% of the Congo cobalt.

After 7 years, electric car battery capacity is ~60%. 95% of batteries end up as toxic waste often polluting water.

If true how green are electric cars.

Tags: