Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 698697 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1695 on: December 01, 2020, 04:33:18 PM »
This could be a rumour I stumbled upon:

Electric car batteries need lithium and cobalt. The cobalt comes from the Congo often using child labour. China gets 73% of the Congo cobalt.

After 7 years, electric car battery capacity is ~60%. 95% of batteries end up as toxic waste often polluting water.

If true how green are electric cars.

Absolute bull excrement

Battery life on Toyota Prius: Guarantee was 10 years now 15.

Lithium is recycled.

"What percentage of electric car batteries are recycled?
In either case, the batteries that power electric cars can be recycled. In the case of the older-technology lead-acid batteries, 96 percent of the materials in the battery -- including the nasty lead -- is recovered. To compare, only 38 percent of the material in glass bottles is recovered in the recycling process."
https://tinyurl.com/y5sgoemb

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1696 on: December 01, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
This could be a rumour I stumbled upon:

Electric car batteries need lithium and cobalt. The cobalt comes from the Congo often using child labour. China gets 73% of the Congo cobalt.

After 7 years, electric car battery capacity is ~60%. 95% of batteries end up as toxic waste often polluting water.

If true how green are electric cars.
Think it might have been the "Big Oil" companies that started that rumour.
https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/840/how-recyclable-are-batteries-electric-cars

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:52:14 PM by JimSh »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1697 on: December 02, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #1698 on: December 02, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
I just posted it out of interest and whilst it wasn't sent to me as a rumour I decided to post it as one as some of it doesn't sound right.

The one bit I find interesting is that whilst Prius batteries do indeed last up to 15 years they aren't in use all the time. I wonder if pure EV batteries have a shorter life ?
Let's be careful out there !

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1700 on: December 02, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
whilst Prius batteries do indeed last up to 15 years they aren't in use all the time

They are. They are constantly in the charge/discharge cycle. In fact they are used more than the engine, which is oftentimes switched off whereas the battery is always on duty receiving or sending charge. Whilst my RAV4 isn't a Prius it uses the exact same technology, and the energy use display tells me what is happening.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1701 on: December 02, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
Fair enough, thanks

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1702 on: December 05, 2020, 07:48:21 PM »
The more I research the MG5, the more I like it.

Some great scrappage offers from MG now, up to £8000 off list price (including the plug-in grant).

https://mg.co.uk/offers-finance/trade-up-plugin/

£7000 off the MG 5 EV Excite, making it £20,495

Plus the possibility of up to 6 year 0% loans in Scotland, just for you Jocko!

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/grants-and-loans/electric-vehicle-loan/

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1703 on: December 05, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
I am seriously looking at the MG.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1704 on: December 05, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
There's some cheap pre-registered cars out there too.

MG 5 are too new, but I've seen ZS EV under £19K.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1705 on: December 06, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-k-power-prices-jump-153739655.html

Anyone with their eyes on the ball and not blinkered by the greenies saw this coming ages ago. We ran out of gas a few years ago ( the Russians were laughing when they sent UK a tanker full of gas ) because we are burning it in power stations by the megalitre instead of using if more efficiently for local heat in gas boilers

Only a matter of time before we have rolling blackouts in UK, all because our politicians are incapable of understanding anything but eroding our liberties with draconian laws and fiddling their expenses...

Having to rely on France for nuclear generated power in the ultimate irony, several times for periods of 4 days or more in the last few months solar and wind have contributed a tiny dribble of power to our grid while everything else runs flat out to keep our lights on. Would be so funny if HS2 could not run due to lack of power when the money would have been better spent of proper power stations. I read an article by the German professor who used to run German grid, he said 'for every renewable you have to build 100% conventional generating backup' - which is why Germans continued to build coal burning power stations, and why they are one of the worlds largest industrial economies....

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1706 on: December 06, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
Good to see you back, culzean. Beginning to wonder if you had caught the lurgy.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1707 on: December 06, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-k-power-prices-jump-153739655.html

Anyone with their eyes on the ball and not blinkered by the greenies saw this coming ages ago. We ran out of gas a few years ago ( the Russians were laughing when they sent UK a tanker full of gas ) because we are burning it in power stations by the megalitre instead of using if more efficiently for local heat in gas boilers

Only a matter of time before we have rolling blackouts in UK, all because our politicians are incapable of understanding anything but eroding our liberties with draconian laws and fiddling their expenses...

Having to rely on France for nuclear generated power in the ultimate irony, several times for periods of 4 days or more in the last few months solar and wind have contributed a tiny dribble of power to our grid while everything else runs flat out to keep our lights on. Would be so funny if HS2 could not run due to lack of power when the money would have been better spent of proper power stations. I read an article by the German professor who used to run German grid, he said 'for every renewable you have to build 100% conventional generating backup' - which is why Germans continued to build coal burning power stations, and why they are one of the worlds largest industrial economies....

Welcome back.

Gridwatch today - no sun , no sun showed France at 3GW and renewables at <15%..  Gas fired Power stations flat out.

I know electricity storage is possible using vanadium batteris but storing GWs of electricity is beyond any technology today

Ensure your Smart Meter does not work  (ours is  a Mark 1 and does not) so no-one can switch you off.

Just imagine: weather like now, and a power cut. OAPs die  due to hypothermia. That is what we will come to.
Meanwhile Boris goes on about windpower.. he should know all about hot air.  (apologies : not political I promise).

As for recharging at night when there is no wind...!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1708 on: December 06, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
I attch the Gridwatch graph for today up to 9pm with the power source data for 17:20 which looks to be the peak. The sun had gone to bed (not that it had shone much today) and the 24GW of wind generating capacity was producing 0.383GW leaving everything to work hard. And this is a Sunday without much commercial / industrial consumption. Wait and see what happens if the wind is on holiday on a weekday.

I know that 50 years ago the first step in demand management was voltage reduction. Our supply is 230V +6% / -10% and a 10% drop in voltage will reduce demand by more than 10% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_optimisation

Several new pumped storage schemes such as https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/scotland-s-largest-hydro-project-approved-by-ministers (1.5GW for up to 24 hours) will help balance supply and demand. However, they aren't commercially viable until the government puts a tax on wind generation so there's money available to pay for the backup storage. There's been too much emphasis on making wind generation profitable.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1709 on: December 07, 2020, 05:00:21 AM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that we were considering building a number of small nuclear plants round the country. Could they be up and running by 2030.

I also wonder about the ease of replacing the millions of domestic gas boilers. I wonder how disruptive that would be in each home.

Tags: