Author Topic: Rear bike rack/carrier  (Read 3712 times)

thehazzard

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GK EX 2017 Sunset Orange
Rear bike rack/carrier
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
Hey guys and girls.. I'm well aware that our jazz's are more than capable of fitting adult bikes inside the car, but me being such a clean freak, the thought of having a dirty bike inside the car quite frankly scares me!

I'm buying a halfords 3 bike rack tonight and wondered if anyone has fitted the same or similar bike rack to their jazz and how they have found them.

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
Re: Rear bike rack/carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »
Not fitted one, but will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Is it this one: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
I fitted one of these to my Mk 2 a few years ago:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-2-_-991001

It bent the flimsy panels on the boot and also the roof where the hooks attach.

The dents weren't bad but the estimate to repair was £1000. Thule took back the rack and gave me £600 as full and final settlement. I never had it repaired which was just as well because a few months later the CVT packed up and was going to be £5000 to repair, and the car taken back by Honda in exchange for a new Mk3 at an appropriate price.

It may well that other boot mounted systems would be better, but Honda panels seem flimsy so I wasn't going to risk it and bought roof bars and Thule ProRide racks which were quite satisfactory.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-proride-_-598001

Here are a few photos of what the Thule Raceway did:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:43:32 PM by mikebore »

thehazzard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:19:31 PM »
Not fitted one, but will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Is it this one: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier

Yeah I'm buying it second hand but pretty sure it is this one. I will let you know! picking and fitting the rack en-route to picking up 2 bikes too!

thehazzard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-2-_-991001

The dents weren't bad but the estimate to repair was £1000. Thule took back the rack and gave me £600 as full and final settlement. I never had it repaired which was just as well because a few months later the CVT packed up and was going to be £5000 to repair, and the car taken back by Honda in exchange for a new Mk3 at an appropriate price.

It may well that other boot mounted systems would be better, but Honda panels seem flimsy so I wasn't going to risk it and bought roof bars and Thule ProRide racks which were quite satisfactory.

Ah yeah i'm getting the rack that is hung on the boot, not the roof bars, i would get roof bars but this is a cheaper alternative.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 03:48:35 PM »

Ah yeah i'm getting the rack that is hung on the boot, not the roof bars, i would get roof bars but this is a cheaper alternative.

That sounds like you have misunderstood me! It was the rack that hung on the boot which did the damage, not the roof bars.

The Halfords one may be batter than the Thule.

thehazzard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »

That sounds like you have misunderstood me! It was the rack that hung on the boot which did the damage, not the roof bars.

Apologies, i didn't even click onto the link of the thule rack you had. that looks very painful to look at with the hooks! the halford ones pretty much sits on the boot with straps that are secured as opposed to what look like hooks on the thule one!

I'll report back my findings as I would be devastated if it did damage my boot.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »

Apologies, i didn't even click onto the link of the thule rack you had. that looks very painful to look at with the hooks! the halford ones pretty much sits on the boot with straps that are secured as opposed to what look like hooks on the thule one!

I'll report back my findings as I would be devastated if it did damage my boot.

It wasn't just the hooks at the top, it was also the pressure points lower down where the rack rested on the tailgate.I assume the Halfords one must do something similar, but maybe it is better padded.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
Those look nasty.

thehazzard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
So the one I have now does not have metal hooks, but what seems to be hard plastic tab hooks that cling on the top of the spoiler and the sides of the boot. now im not so worried about the ones of the sides, but the ones at top by the spoiler makes me worry with the weight of the bikes and gravity, it will put added tension to the hook tabs. These shouldn't damage the spoiler body work would they?

for precaution i was tempted to buy some vinyl wrap and layer up where the tabs would go for added cushioning and protection for peace of mind.

I suppose the only way to test is, is to try it out!

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
I don't know how many bikes, or what quality they are, but typical 'family' mountain bikes  easily weigh over 30lb each..
So a few off them bouncing up and down when you go over bumpy roads on tiny rack mountings---  there goes your spoiler !!
I had a hatch fitting boot rack years ago, gave up with it and used roof rack fittings, it saves the car. :)

thehazzard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »
I don't know how many bikes, or what quality they are, but typical 'family' mountain bikes  easily weigh over 30lb each..
So a few off them bouncing up and down when you go over bumpy roads on tiny rack mountings---  there goes your spoiler !!
I had a hatch fitting boot rack years ago, gave up with it and used roof rack fittings, it saves the car. :)

I think you're right, or the ones that hang from the rear towing point

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
Those look nasty.

Indeed. For future reference, if anyone ends up in the same predicament, the cheapest way to repair that is a secondhand tailgate, in colour.

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
Hi,

We have a GE8 but would strongly recommend getting a towbar and this style bike rack when you can. I've seen so many cars damaged with the one that straps on, and many bikes stolen with the straps being cut..
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

Tags:

anything