Author Topic: Pool of Water in Boot?  (Read 16491 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Pool of Water in Boot?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »
Just done the same to my soggy rear end!
Used CT1, an industrial construction sealant and adhesive that can be used on wet items  even underwater...not that the wet boot is that bad :)

Yeah - I have used CT1 to fix things where silicon and all the other stuff failed - it is amazing stuff,  more likely to get it online or from builders merchants like Travis-Perkins than from places like B&Q or Screwfix etc. ( https://www.screwfix.com/landingpage/ct1/ ) it is quite pricey at over £10 for a 300ml cartridge,  but well worth it - do it once and do it properly.   https://www.ct1.com/our-products/ct1/

On advantage I have found with CT1 is that I have had a partially used cartridge for over a year now, and when I take the cap off it is not set solid like silicone and others,  and still useable..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 02:53:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mrushton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »
I just put a towel under the spare wheel and changed it regularly. Car was garage though so standing outside obviously sees more water ingress

jeffusher

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 11:52:59 AM »
Hi All,

Had the same problem and am getting tired of using several towels to bail out the water in the well.

I am looking at the drill hole fix as this would seem the best way to drain the water. However, unsure as to where to drill the hole / holes and don't want to go through anything I shouldn't.

Can anyone advise where to make the holes, or if I should just go down the sealant route and rather be safe than sorry ;-)

Regards

JEff

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 12:09:05 PM »
Better to try and fix the leak rather than treat the symptoms.

I used plumbers Fernox LS-X under the plastic strips to seal the cracks. Seems to have worked.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
Better to try and fix the leak rather than treat the symptoms.

I agree.

Remove the plastic roof seam trims, scrape out as much of the old sealer as possible and reseal it with a PU sealer such as Tigerseal or similar, or one of the polymer sealers as recommended above. Don't use anything silicone based, it won't last.

Dan-92

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 01:17:31 AM »
I did this fix just last week.

I heard that the leak only comes from the right side, however after sealing the right side I still had the leak. Sealing the left side fixed my leak.

I didn't strip out the old filler. I just cleaned it and used a clear sealant pushed in to the cracks (Fernox LS-X Plumbers sealant). I also heard water could get in through the two bolts that hold the boot gas support mount things on. I removed the bolts (holding the boot open with my head!), put the sealant in and around the holes and re-secured the bolts).

So far no leaks.

@Culzean: I have a hole in the bottom of my boot, I thought it was factory. 56 Plate.
I have recently bought an 04 jazz, car is immaculate garaged all its life however I have now found this problem.. Is this an easy fix to do yourself or would it be recommended to get a professional to do the job ? Thank you.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »
I have recently bought an 04 jazz, car is immaculate garaged all its life however I have now found this problem.. Is this an easy fix to do yourself or would it be recommended to get a professional to do the job ? Thank you.

First of all, welcome to the forum! 8)

As to whether you can DIY, it depends how handy you are. Best thing to do is to have a read through the 'wet boot' threads like this, and I would recommend looking at this

http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/jazz_leak.html

...it's a good detailed explanation of how to completely cure the problem, with clear photos. The only thing it doesn't tell you is how to remove the plastic gutter cover strips - unclip at the front, and slide the whole thing forwards. If you find the cracks, that's probably your problem.

See what you think, it's not a difficult job if you read up first - like a bit of decorating. Make sure you use a good polymer or polyurethane body sealer, any of the types recommended above... but NOT silicone! At a later stage, when the sealer is completely cured, if you wish you can dab a bit of body colour paint over any exposed bits of sealant to smarten it up.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
I had followed this instruction in last week with just one coating. It definitely reduced some water getting in but not completely. So, i had added the 2nd coating yesterday and awaiting for a proper rain. Fingers crossed!

First of all, welcome to the forum! 8)

As to whether you can DIY, it depends how handy you are. Best thing to do is to have a read through the 'wet boot' threads like this, and I would recommend looking at this

http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/jazz_leak.html

...it's a good detailed explanation of how to completely cure the problem, with clear photos. The only thing it doesn't tell you is how to remove the plastic gutter cover strips - unclip at the front, and slide the whole thing forwards. If you find the cracks, that's probably your problem.

See what you think, it's not a difficult job if you read up first - like a bit of decorating. Make sure you use a good polymer or polyurethane body sealer, any of the types recommended above... but NOT silicone! At a later stage, when the sealer is completely cured, if you wish you can dab a bit of body colour paint over any exposed bits of sealant to smarten it up.

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »
I've been having a look at our 56 plate SE at the weekend.

There must have been almost 2" of water sloshing around in the wheel well!  :o

I successfully cured this problem in the previous '02 plate Jazz using silver Hammerite paint.

Applied a liberal coating of Hammerite to the 56 plate and it looks like the leak is reduced but not cured. From looking at the latest set of photographs, it might be the case that I need to pull out the electrical cable grommit and get right behind it?

I had a look this afternoon and it looks like the water is coming down from the back centre area of the car, rather than the sides?

When I pulled off the back door seal on the left side, there was a definite rust stain...?

jeffusher

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
Decided to bite the bullet and get this repaired by the Honda Service Centre.

They knew exactly what the problem was and solved it for £130.

No more condensation dripping everywhere and no more water in the boot.

Best £130 I spent in a while.

Jeff

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2021, 09:59:22 PM »
I know this is notorious problem for Jazz,however I still haven't fixed mine... as I can't understand from where exactly does the water get in, there are no apparent holes , some say its from the black roof plastic bits, however there isn't really a clear exact answer..
has anyone tackled this problem and can pin-point the exact place where exactly does the water gets in so it can be fixed? Perhaps an exact picture of the exact place which needs to be fixed? Not really fancying drilling a hole in boot itself so it can flow away.

Cheers.
just mopped out 2-3litres of water from there...
I had this, well I say had, I still have it. I think it's coming in from a seam at the top off the boot so I would look there first. I don't car about it, but I have looked into it and I do believe that said seam in the issue. No doubt someone will have a fix for you if it is indeed there.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2021, 10:55:28 PM »
Recminds me of the Top Gear episode when they used a rifle to drain the car of water after flooding it driving through a river or whatever. Don’t think many Jazz owners are licensed firearm enthusiasts… could be wrong  ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2021, 08:01:51 AM »
Recminds me of the Top Gear episode when they used a rifle to drain the car of water after flooding it driving through a river or whatever. Don’t think many Jazz owners are licensed firearm enthusiasts… could be wrong  ;D

noticed rear window steaming up, a few mm of water in boot, I drilled a 6mm hole at lowest point in boot of one of wifes MK1's - check nothing underneath to get damaged by drill bit and never had a problem after  :-X 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2021, 08:19:11 AM »

noticed rear window steaming up, a few mm of water in boot, I drilled a 6mm hole at lowest point in boot of one of wifes MK1's - check nothing underneath to get damaged by drill bit and never had a problem after  :-X

Why not, engineering solutions… a draughty boot is a good boot!

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »
im sure we have all seen some unsightly horrid repairs in the past,, first of all there is a product called SEEK.N.SEAL only seen 1 supplier on ebay selling this.. it used to come in a 3in1 type can.. ive still got some somewhere lol.. its like a sticky oil that will seal cracks etc.. but when i bought my jazz a month back i checked the boot couldnt see any leeks but noticed some surface rust on the foot of the jack. plus the drain bung had been forced out and left under the spare wheel.. i resealed that back into place . then removed the roof trims. i did notice some hairline cracks  around the sealant by the tailgate edges and hinges.. so what i did is put a thin bead of uhu glue along  the panel sealed edges (as thats all i had at the time) then next day just sprayed some aerosol greas around the hinges and any joins along the roof gutter and inside by the tailgate.. cant really see any botch repair as products are fairly transparent.. and after some heavy rainfalls ive noticed no leaks whatsoever in the boot since.

Tags:

anything