Author Topic: Locks not working  (Read 913 times)

brooksp

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz
Locks not working
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:04:17 AM »
Hi All, 
The locks on my 2005 Jazz have stopped working. Both the driver and passenger side locks started sticking and almost grabbing the key when inserted. After a bit of key wiggling they would unlock though. Yesterday I tried spraying some WD40  into the passenger side lock,  and while it has freed the inserting of the key,  it will not turn.  The strange thing is that the key will also not turn on the drivers side either.  It turns fine in the boot door and unlocks/locks the car OK.
I have read on this forum that the locks on Jazz cars give problems but I find it strange that both locks would fail on the same day.
Have I damaged them in some way by spraying oil into the passenger one?  I cannot think how I could of unless some electrical circuit got damaged or something, and it stopped the other lock from turning too.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Locks not working
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:18:40 AM »
WD40 is probably not the best thing to spray into locks, it tends to gum up as it dries out, but I don't think this will have caused your initial problems.

Any chance you have damaged the key, or is it worn? A well worn key can get difficult, and lubrication can make worn key problems worse. Do you have a spare key to try?

Any sign of damage to the locks, might someone have had a go at them?

brooksp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply. There's no sign of anyone messing with them. The key is a bit worn alright but has worked OK up to yesterday. I have also tried the spare key and it's having the same problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »
The tumblers in locks are spring loaded to go back to 'locked'  position when key is removed, the key indentations push them into a position where the barrel can turn. Now because the key has to pass all the tumblers ( pins or levers) on its way in and pit of the lock, if the tumblers are not free to move they can ' hang up' when they are pushed up by a 'peak' on the key and not be able to move down into a 'trough' when they should,  WD40 is infamous for dissolving out any existing lubrication ( which is why it makes a good cleaner) and replacing it with a sticky lacquer ( it was designed to get rid of moisture WD stands for  Water Dispersant) and leave a sticky protective film behind, it is a corrosion pre enter...  You should really use dry lubricants in locks like powdered graphite but a good quality PTFE ( Teflon ) based lubricant which will evaporate and leave a very slippery inert film behind is pretty good ( 3in1 advanced PTFE lubricant, I have used it on locks that are out in all weather and between 5 and 10  years later they still work perfectly ( without any topping up of lubrication). 

As sparky Paul mentioned WD40 is not a lubricant and can cause more problems than it solves, it was very well marketed though as the answer to everything...

if you regularly use the key to operate the locks the tumblers get worn and even if well lubed do not move to proper place to release the barrel, also keys can wear.  Try some decent PTFE lube,  but you may well have to get replacement barrels with keys..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:44:42 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything