Author Topic: Greenflag vs AA  (Read 2072 times)

Martin Haworth

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz si 20113
Greenflag vs AA
« on: June 09, 2020, 06:19:58 PM »
Just got my renewal notice from AA

They want 134 quid for roadside and relay. 

Green flag want 68 quid for the same level of cover

I haven't ever used greenflag, been with AA for over 10 years and had 2 call outs.

Anyone got any experience/thoughts?

It's quite a price difference.

Thanks

Martin

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Greenflag vs AA
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
I have used Green flag.

They use contracted local breakdown garages.

No big yellow trucks.

But friendly helpful guys

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
I am with the RAC. Last years their quote was much higher than Greenflag so I called the RAC and no quibble, they matched the Greenflag price and said they would hold that price for two years. So I went RAC.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
」60 for UK for personal cover for both you and your spouse or partner, in any vehicle, with AutoAid.

Includes roadside assistance, recovery to any destination, caravan/trailer, home start, onward travel, hotel accommodation, etc..

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

Martin Haworth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz si 20113
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
Thanks. I think I'll move from theaa to a cheaper provider

Martin

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
On my present car and my previous one I benefitted from Honda Assist (I haven't had to use them) and, I think, they use the RAC (stand to be corrected on that).

Prior to that I have used Green Flag. When I had a VW Golf which was incredibly unreliable I was using Green Flag and I found them to be excellent including with home visits. They do use local garages so I guess a lot depends on how good they are.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 02:58:23 PM »
」60 for UK for personal cover for both you and your spouse or partner, in any vehicle, with AutoAid.

Includes roadside assistance, recovery to any destination, caravan/trailer, home start, onward travel, hotel accommodation, etc..

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

+1

Vic.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »
Just got my renewal notice from AA

They want 134 quid for roadside and relay. 

Green flag want 68 quid for the same level of cover

I haven't ever used greenflag, been with AA for over 10 years and had 2 call outs.

Anyone got any experience/thoughts?

It's quite a price difference.

Thanks

Martin

I was with the AA for over 20 years and then prices rose rapidly.
I complained about the price and for 2 years they reduced it, then the next year they refused to come down, so I left and went to Green Flag.
As the others say it's mainly subbed out to local garages.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
I hate these companies that bung the prices up on renewal and expect you to ring up and bargain. To compound it, auto renewal then takes advantage of those who can't be arsed to shop around, or those who don't like to complain, of which there are surprisingly many.

That's what I like about AutoAid. One price for everybody - new customers or renewals. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 11:03:43 PM »
Try GEM Motorassist. Covers the person so if you have a few cars then it's good. I use the reclaim service. Once towed my Jazz to my local dealer then when I found another garage 50 miles away which was cheaper, they towed it again, "free"!

ruthe

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 Jazz
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 12:58:10 AM »
RAC bumped my premium up, with unrequested "extras" so went to Greenflag, v helpful the time I called, also in negotiating adding my daughter to the same policy. We both have a Jazz, she has car cover, I have personal cover for ANY vehicle I'm in, 」109/yr. for recovery and peace of mind.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
I used to sell Breakdown service to colleagues that was 25 years ago.
Nowadays I stick with Autoaid cover owner + spouse .

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
I had many years with GEM, mentioned above, they are also worth considering. The cover is excellent, and they get good reviews. They do a 'pay & reclaim' service, as well as the usual service where the company is billed directly, for a premium.

Don't overlook the 'pay & reclaim' service, it's a bit cheaper, and it can be very useful indeed when you break down locally and prefer to organise your own recovery with a local garage - GEM will reimburse you so long as they are VAT registered. If you are really stuck and have no method of payment on you, the call centre can send a recovery operator that will invoice you for payment later.

Also, there are a few things to watch out when choosing a cheap recovery policy. Some companies now have vehicle age restrictions, I've seen 10 years limit on a few, and 5 years on one policy. Some limit the number of callouts in a year. There is another company that was offering a very basic cover for around 」20 through Groupon, but they don't even cover flat batteries if you admit you left lights on, etc. - they class it as self inflicted and bill you for the recovery!

The main reason I switched to Autoaid was the price, GEM prices crept up over the years, and 」60 for Autoaid full personal cover for a couple takes some beating.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:42:34 AM by sparky Paul »

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
Hi,

I just got my car around the start of  Lockdown in April. I decided I値l hold off on getting recovery service until I will be driving significant distances. Now I知 wondering if I really need one. AA and the others come to you for a fee ( probably 」100 or so and a towing charge) so I decided I値l risk it instead used the money saved on proactive maintenance. If I break down, I値l pay up. At my next insurance renewal I値l try and get breakdown cover added for about 」30 a year (Marshmallow insurance offers that )
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 12:52:37 PM »
I decided I値l hold off on getting recovery service until I will be driving significant distances. Now I知 wondering if I really need one. AA and the others come to you for a fee ( probably 」100 or so and a towing charge) so I decided I値l risk it

It's absolutely fine if you're only driving about locally, just keep the number of a local recovery garage handy (or a friend with a tow pole and a 4x4). I've done that for periods myself.

The problems start if you break down on the motorway. If you don't have a recovery policy, you must use the designated recovery contractor for that stretch of road, and the cost can be prohibitive. The Police won't wait while you negotiate with the AA.

Check the recovery cover included with your insurance, they can be basic - but that may be enough for you. As I mentioned above, you can often buy recovery policies throup Groupon for around 」20, but they are very basic. Better than nothing though, and you won't be tempted to change a wheel on the side of a motorway.

There are some people who use a recovery policy as an alternative to servicing, I'm glad that you understand the folly of that idea.

Tags:

anything