Author Topic: Car written off and spare wheel question  (Read 3335 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Car written off and spare wheel question
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 05:53:33 PM »
Spare wheel with tyre now sourced, now just need to get a bolt and spacer to secure it - is the bolt 12 mm thread?

Thanks.

8 mm thread  ( M8 ) got an M8 set bolt ( threaded for its whole length, or you can buy a metre of 8mm threaded galvanised bar for about same price ) from B&Q about 60mm long and chopped the head off, used an 8mm wing nut ( B&Q ) and a piece of 2 or 3 mm plate cut from a bracket I also got from B&Q ---

Used it in Jazz and Civic.

You can buy something off fleabay to do the job..

Found a photo of home made spare wheel hold-down on wifes Jazz MK2 ( PDF attached )

Did not even bother taking head off screw as I just slacken wing nut off and use screw head to screw bolt out,  bit of copper grease on bottom of thread to make sure it does not corrode if any water gets into wheel well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:57:02 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 06:08:15 PM »
A space saver spare is marked as such, with the speed limit clearly marked. Maybe that is what the insurers need.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 06:12:01 PM »
can you fit a full size wheel in the mk2 space, or does it need to be a space saver?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »
Found this on space savers:

What are they: These are much thinner than standard car tyres and can be fitted to a vehicle in the event of a puncture.

Are they safe to use: Yes. Provided drivers are aware of the restrictions that apply to their use. Users must remember space saver wheels are intended to get the vehicle to a place of safety and not day-to-day motoring.

Is there a maximum speed for space saver wheels: The maximum speed restriction for a space saver wheel is likely to be 50mph.

Exceeding this is dangerous and could result in prosecution. The wheel itself should have a label or moulding that carries its speed restriction.

Is there a maximum distance for space saver wheels: There is no official restriction on how far a driver can travel on a space saver wheel, but around 50 miles is considered to be the maximum safe distance.

The tyre will have a shallow tread depth, compared with standard tyres, and this will degrade at a faster rate due to the narrow gauge of the wheel. Using a space saver wheel will reduce the car’s cornering grip by 10-15 per cent.

Tread depth rules apply to space saver wheels in the same way as they do to standard tyres.

Can space saver wheels be used front and back: Check your handbook, because some vehicles have restrictions on where they can be used for safety reasons. Never use more than one space saver wheel on a vehicle at any one time.

Will there be any difference in how the car drives: Yes. It’s likely the car’s handling will be changed by the non-standard wheel. This will reduce the vehicle’s cornering and braking abilities.

Can space saver wheels be used on motorways: It’s not illegal, but driving at 50mph is dangerous on motorways. HGVs will be travelling at 56mph, so a car moving at just 50mph in the left-hand lane is likely to cause a dangerous obstruction. Avoid motorways if at all possible.

Remember to check the space saver’s air pressure: The majority of space saver wheels have pneumatic tyres, so you’ll need to periodically check your ‘spare’ is at the correct pressure. Driving on an under-inflated space saver would be extremely dangerous.

Can I use a space saver wheel for my MOT: Not unless you want to fail. Wheels of the same ratio must be fitted to each axle.

VERDICT: Changing a wheel has become a bit of a dying art, but for those who are confident with a jack and brace, the space saver offers a virtually guaranteed roadside get out of jail card for anyone who’s suffered a puncture or blowout.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »
can you fit a full size wheel in the mk2 space, or does it need to be a space saver?

See pictures of spare tyre hold down bolt a bit earlier in thread, that is a 185/55R16 wheel in my wifes Mk2 wheel well - so the answer is yes, loads of room and no need to support carpet either.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 12:14:11 AM »
Personally get the exact alloy from breakers yard, like for.like, so no issues with Insurance companies.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Personally get the exact alloy from breakers yard, like for.like, so no issues with Insurance companies.

Alloys from a breakers yard could be damaged........I doubt they check them for cracks before reselling them - ooh errr

Steve1962

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 06:34:08 PM »
The spare steel wheel I got was brand new, with a new tyre on it - I'm happy enough with that.

Just had a Nextbase GW522 dash cam fitted too.

Thanks.

Tags: