Author Topic: Car Dead After Putting New Battery In  (Read 4774 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Car Dead After Putting New Battery In
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »
Sounds like the alternator is shot.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2004
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
In the owner manual says, dashboard charging indicator light, , " If this light comes on when the engine is running, the battery is not being charged. For complete information see page 360. " Goes on to say, " This indicator should come on when the ignition switch is ON (II) and go out after the engine starts. If it comes on brightly when the engine is running...... it indicates that the charging system has stopped charging the battery. "

It comes on when I turn the ignition switch and it goes out after I start the engine . " If it comes on brightly when the engine is running, it indicates that the charging system has stopped charging the battery. " Does not do this, so I assume alternator is good and working properly?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »
With this information I wouldn't deem alternator kaput. I don't have expereience on GD Jazz alternator, but in some other cars the voltage changes when regulator does its job. It can be below 13V now and in next moment 14V when the battery needs charging. To see this happening you can put some load on the system, e.g. switch on the ventilation fan to full speed, switch on headlights and if you have any electric heating for rear window and seats.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 11:43:47 AM »
OK thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »
In the owner manual says, dashboard charging indicator light, , " If this light comes on when the engine is running, the battery is not being charged. For complete information see page 360. " Goes on to say, " This indicator should come on when the ignition switch is ON (II) and go out after the engine starts. If it comes on brightly when the engine is running...... it indicates that the charging system has stopped charging the battery. "

It comes on when I turn the ignition switch and it goes out after I start the engine . " If it comes on brightly when the engine is running, it indicates that the charging system has stopped charging the battery. " Does not do this, so I assume alternator is good and working properly?

I also think alternator is shot - the warning light only comes on if the alternator output is missing ( like a wire come off or drive belt snapped )- if the most you ever get is 13 volts either charging control module is kaput or you have lost more than one diode.

If the alternator is not supplying at least 14.5 volts to the battery with headlights on then 'Houston, we have a problem'..... 

The level of charge in the battery will get lower and lower and soon you will get that clicky noise when you try to start the car.....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:48:21 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
Hi,people,
Just an update, went up to trustworthy garage, who look after the Jazz for MOT etc. Has been doing cars for 30 years, said if battery light goes out when start, rev to 2500 and if battery goes to 14V, then alternator is good, will let you know result.
Cheers.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2020, 02:40:45 PM »
Just an update, went up to trustworthy garage, who look after the Jazz for MOT etc. Has been doing cars for 30 years, said if battery light goes out when start, rev to 2500 and if battery goes to 14V, then alternator is good, will let you know result.

That's fine, but do that with the headlights on. The load detector will affect it otherwise.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 06:11:43 PM »
OK sure, will try and do this sometime, Tuesday
Full beam or just on?
Cheers :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:13:49 PM by zeusmc »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
It doesn't matter. When I set my ScanGauge to monitor battery voltage, it jumps from about 13.8 volts to 14.6 volts as I switch the lights on, then returns to about 13.8 volts shortly after I switch them off.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2020, 06:42:31 PM »
OK.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2020, 09:25:13 AM »
It doesn't matter. When I set my ScanGauge to monitor battery voltage, it jumps from about 13.8 volts to 14.6 volts as I switch the lights on, then returns to about 13.8 volts shortly after I switch them off.
Earlier this morning,
I put the new battery on the charger, to make sure was 100% recharged.
Ignition off, battery  = 13.75V
Start engine goes up to 15V
Rev engine at 2500 same or a touch above 15V
Rev engine with headlights, blower on, 15V
Turn off headlights, blower off, rev engine = 15V.
Turn off ignition, battery = 13.5/14V

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2020, 09:45:56 AM »
The 15 volts ( if your meter is accurate ) is too much and that voltage would fry the battery,  but the 13.5 to 14 volts with engine not running says to me that you voltmeter is reading at least 0.7 / 0.8 volts high.... ( hopefully ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2020, 11:13:58 AM »
It sounds like you have dodged a bullet. Charging the battery somewhat masked the effect of the load monitor adjusting the charging voltage, but it looks like the charging system is okay.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »
It sounds like you have dodged a bullet. Charging the battery somewhat masked the effect of the load monitor adjusting the charging voltage, but it looks like the charging system is okay.
Just contacted the trustworthy mechanic, who looks after car, sorts MOTs for several years, says alternator, charging system, is absolutely fine, perfectly OK.
So thanks people, for the input, time and advice, appreciated. If I do happen to conk out, will let forum know.
All good :)

Tags: