Author Topic: LKAS at slow speeds  (Read 3710 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: LKAS at slow speeds
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2021, 10:53:15 PM »
Probably a silly question but do you have the option of operating the cruise control as a simple cruise control where the driver sets the speed and only the driver can adjust the speed or disconnect it. i.e a manual rather than automatic system. I use the manual system on my current car all the time in towns, rural roads and motorways and have never missed having the car think for me! I am the driver after all and am responsible for the speed, direction and safety of the vehicle. I can’t see a court smiling kindly on you if your defence was that “it wasn’t me m'lord the car was in control" !!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2021, 11:18:26 PM »
Probably a silly question but do you have the option of operating the cruise control as a simple cruise control where the driver sets the speed and only the driver can adjust the speed or disconnect it.

No, but you can drive the car on the limiter that way. It does need you to press the accelerator about half way, though.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2021, 05:08:48 AM »
Much as I like my Jazz, the ACC is definitely inferior to my previous car (Golf) with its radar based system. I haven’t experienced any sudden decelerations but even on a clear road the system seems to “hunt”, i.e. you can feel power being applied then released then power again. The Golf was much smoother.

I've noticed similar, you can feel it speed up and slow down. My Civic was smoother as well.
Let's be careful out there !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2021, 05:09:51 AM »
Probably a silly question but do you have the option of operating the cruise control as a simple cruise control where the driver sets the speed and only the driver can adjust the speed or disconnect it. i.e a manual rather than automatic system. I use the manual system on my current car all the time in towns, rural roads and motorways and have never missed having the car think for me! I am the driver after all and am responsible for the speed, direction and safety of the vehicle. I can’t see a court smiling kindly on you if your defence was that “it wasn’t me m'lord the car was in control" !!

Unfortunately not, that would be my option as well.

However, I've driven a few times in the M4 average speed zone using ACC, so I don't accidentally speed up, and I've only had one 'incident' when I passed through a centre lane owners club lorry to overtake. I've never had any issues when I've been in lane 2 overtaking lane 1 vehicles.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:38:48 AM by Kremmen »

sportse

• Approved Member
LKAS at slow speeds
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2021, 06:07:18 AM »

In my last car you could easily switch between normal cruise control and ACC but it’s not an option on the Jazz

Actually it might be a defence if someone isn’t expecting the computer controlled steering ‘assist’ and if it drives you head on into oncoming traffic on a narrow country road!

These systems are on most new cars (Dacia has said they’re not interested in adding stuff just to get points towards a safety rating though) so I expect we’ll see adverts for lawyers soon.

Volvo has said that if the car crashes with their ‘self-driving’ active, then it’s the cars fault:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/93595/volvo-to-accept-liability-if-autonomous-car-tech-fails
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 06:11:34 AM by sportse »

Vinney

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz crosstar
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2021, 06:25:07 AM »
LKAS.?????
Lane keep assist system

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »
... I've never had any issues when I've been in lane 2 overtaking lane 1 vehicles.
I had a chance to play with ACC yesterday on a motorway, including long sections of speed controlled road works. The ACC behaved as it should, including while passing slower traffic. I have to say though, my right foot was hovering above the accelerator pedal while I was using it so I was ready for unexpected braking. Could it be that the software has been 'tweaked'?
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »
I don't know.

I've used it enough times now to know it's not for me so LIM it is in Specs zones, LIM works well.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
If traffic is light enough I will use ACC, even through protracted roadworks, taking advantages of its features. (under my overall control)   If I think the applicable speed limit is too high for the current circumstances ,such as poor weather or increased traffic I'd probably switch ACC off, or at least set a lower speed.

LIM is useful  when ACC is not appropriate  but you have to maintain your speed manually.   Personally I dislike the stifling sensation on the accelerator when you hit the limit. I usually dial in a couple of extra mph, but drive  to the actual limit manually. That way the limiter only intervenes if I am speeding.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2021, 08:09:29 PM »
I find ACC and LKAS work well for me, although ACC is a bit sharp on acceleration and braking, even in Eco mode. 

However I only use these features selectively depending on conditions.  Like His Lordship The Magnificent Voltermore, I use on motorways only.   

if conditions are busy, I pull over to truck speed and continue to use ACC and LKAS.  What I cant tolerate is RDMS.  its just not been properly developed as far as im concerned. ::)

Tags: