Author Topic: Dashcam Recommendations  (Read 16635 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Dashcam Recommendations
« on: July 06, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
I am spending more and more time in Bradford, where the quality of driving is, well, extremely variable. It's been a while since we discussed dashcams and new models come out all the time.

So who has any recommendations for dashcams?
What are the key features to look out for?
Is rearward facing an important feature?
How easy are they to fit neatly into your car?

Thanks..

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Dashcam Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
I am spending more and more time in Bradford, where the quality of driving is, well, extremely variable. It's been a while since we discussed dashcams and new models come out all the time.

So who has any recommendations for dashcams?
What are the key features to look out for?
Is rearward facing an important feature?
How easy are they to fit neatly into your car?

Thanks..

I have had a nextbase 512GW for about a year now and it performs well, it has high resolution at 1440quad (you can lower it in system menu) and  32GB card gets overwritten in around 4 hours at highest resolution ( IIRC it can accept a 64GB card).  The GPS works well.  Jocko has a nextbase as well and he seems to like it (nextbase is a UK company as well).  The magnetic mounting for dashcam onto its adhesive or suction base is also good, you can easily remove it without disturbing any plugs. I bought a ring 3 way cigarette power socket adaptor and just tucked the cable under the driver's mat and up the A pillar and along Sun visor hinges and mounted it by the drivers mirror.  It has a plug on the front facing camera to plug in a rear facing one, but I don't know if the rear one is available yet or if a dongle is available for a wireless rear camera.

I think a rear camera is almost as potentially useful as a front one, but haven't fitted one yet.

I did find the accelerometer 'crash detect' to be very sensitive and initially had loads of locked files in video, but it is easy to make it less sensitive in menu. Be wary of some lower resolution dashcams as you cannot even read number plates on the video.

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/512gw-dash-cam/

I like the Sony Exmor sensor chip,  I have a Sony camera and the picture detail is amazing.

Shop around and you can get one for about £110
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:12:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »
I looked at those a while back and they do seem to have good reviews.  I decided to wait until I change my car and will then proabaly get Halfords to fit it for me (£30.00).

I see now there is one with a rear facing camera for another £10 (Nextbase DUO HD Dash Cam).  I would be interested on any feedback on that one too.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
Looks like Nextbase have introduced a rear cam to plug into the side socket on the 512GW

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/nextbase-512gwrc-dash-cam/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
I have two Nextbase 402G cams fitted, which are a few years old now, but have performed faultlessly.
As others have said, it is important to go for the HD version, as they are useless if you can't read a number plate.

I started with just the front camera, but Sod's law intervened and my last bump was a rear end shunt, fortunately the driver admitted responsibility, so there was no problem, but the second camera was added shortly after, just in case!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »
If I was buying one now I would probably go for the Nextbase Duo. I have the older Nextbase 512G and it is brilliant. I switched off the collision detector as it was filling my memory card with locked files, and if I didn't clear the card every couple of days I ended up with very little new recorded data.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:59:47 PM »
I've got the Nextbase 312GW which can take 128GB microSD cards and I expect that the 512GW will also take them. These dashcams might take 256GB which are becoming available but may not have been tested for compatibility. My normal source for the cards is MyMemory.co.uk (around £25 for 128GB).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
I have my camera set for the best resolution, and though I only have a 32 Gb MicroSD card it is more than adequate for recording. I downloaded my 2 hour assessment drive (complete with audio) and it was less than half of what I had stored in memory. You only need the time leading up to an incident and the incident itself. You would only need a  large SD card if you wanted to record, and keep, large journeys, and I can assure you, watching a two hour drive is not something you will do every day. Maybe if you were touring in the Alps!
I see that the Nextbase Duo is only 720p resolution, whereas the 512 models are 1080p. They take good images too.

These are taken from video. Not still images.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
The 512GW can record in 1440quad HD at 30 fps  or 1080p at 60fps (clips use pretty much same amount of memory) I tried both and 1440 has the edge but both can appear a bit jerky when played back on the nextbase app, which seems unable to process the video quickly enough (although the app does give a neat map and shows roads where you are driving and speed, time of day and direction etc.) - you can also stop and back up the video and take out individual frames from the video as still pictures.  I found best video software for viewing just the video ( no speed or anything else shown) is VLC media player (free software).

I have attached PDF of nextbase replay screen for 512GW,  the low resolution of the PDF has fuzzed the image,  but the main purpose is to show the app screen. Further down PDF are the the screens for the nextbase 'report a lunatic driver' service where you can upload video of really bad driving etc (if you are so inclined ).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:38:55 AM by culzean »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »
I see that the Nextbase Duo is only 720p resolution, whereas the 512 models are 1080p.

From what I see there is a new "Nextbase DUO HD" out now Jocko.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Out of interest where do people with a mk3 place a dash cam on the screen I had a cheap camera that I tried in a few places but couldn’t find an ideal spot due to the "massive" plastic cover over the windscreen sensors I eventually gave up as the camera wasn’t very good anyway. As I also drive in the Bradford area regularly I would like to fit a better quality camera

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
Out of interest where do people with a mk3 place a dash cam on the screen I had a cheap camera that I tried in a few places but couldn’t find an ideal spot due to the "massive" plastic cover over the windscreen sensors I eventually gave up as the camera wasn’t very good anyway. As I also drive in the Bradford area regularly I would like to fit a better quality camera

Try fitting one to a 8 gen Civic, the way the wipers work is they both park in centre of screen and pivot from each end of screen.  This works well as screenwipers but leaves an unswept V in the centre behind the rear view mirror right where dashcam needs to sit (where the bits sit on mk3 Jazz). If you draw vertical lines up from edges of steering wheel to top of windscreen the enclosed area is where you cannot legally mount a dashcam (pretty much area where a crack in screen will fail MOT). So immediately below mirror, or maybe better on passenger side of mirror (make sure wipers clear the screen in front of dashcam).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:19:07 PM by culzean »

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
I fitted my dash cam to the side of the sensor housing, most of the cam is hidden by the blackout coating on the windscreen. Important that the location of the Camera is swept by the windscreen wipers.

I bought this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SK8B47W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »
I fitted my dash cam to the side of the sensor housing, most of the cam is hidden by the blackout coating on the windscreen. Important that the location of the Camera is swept by the windscreen wipers.

I have done the same with my Nextbase 312GW, the only problem I had is that the suction cup would not stay on the blackout coating next to the cover that hides the sensors, I solved that by sticking a satnav holder disc to the area so the dashcam could be mounted.

On the Civic the camera is mounted on the nearside by the mirror so it is just below the blackout area and in the top of the passenger wiper sweep area, the screen cannot be seen from the drivers seat as it is hidden by the mirror.

I also used the Nextbase hardwire kit and hid the cable behind the trim and connected direct to the fuse box under the dashboard, I used a switched outlet so that power to the camera is switched on/off with the ignition switch.

The 512GW comes with a reflection filter built in, Nextbase now do a separate filter that fits cameras that do not have one, £20 from Halfords but I got one for £12 on Ebay, well worth it as it does cut out any reflection.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:20:29 PM by Hobo »

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »

I have done the same with my Nextbase 312GW, the only problem I had is that the suction cup would not stay on the blackout coating next to the cover that hides the sensors, I solved that by sticking a satnav holder disc to the area so the dashcam could be mounted.

On the Civic the camera is mounted in the nearside by the mirror so it is just below the blackout area and in the top of the passenger wiper sweep area, the screen cannot be seen from the drivers seat as it is hidden by the mirror.

The 512GW comes with a reflection filter built in, Nextbase now do a separate filter that fits cameras that do not have one, £20 from Halfords but I got one for £12 on Ebay, well worth it as it does cut out any refection.

Thanks for the suggestions it looks like a sticky mount is the way to go. I failed to find a good spot for the suction cup

Tags: