Author Topic: New Jazz and winter driving  (Read 4170 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: New Jazz and winter driving
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »
Leaving Li-Ion battery above 80% charge can also damage them,  where lead acid batteries need to be kept above 80% for long life.

IIRC they store Li-Ion batteries at about 40 to 45% charge for maximum shelf life.
I have just bought a new Li-ion battery for my laptop, and it came with 40% charge.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »
It's possible that Honda's recommendation is because of the possible situation that the vehicle has been running on battery for the last part of its journey resulting in the battery having a low state of charge (and thus vulnerable to deterioration) before it gets parked. I'd love to know if the nominal 1kWh battery, which has to survive heavy charging and discharging, is actually a much higher capacity battery configured to operate in the middle of its charge range. Then, as the battery wears, it progressive encroaches on the unused part of the charge range in order to maintain the working capacity.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
Leaving Li-Ion battery above 80% charge can also damage them,  where lead acid batteries need to be kept above 80% for long life.

IIRC they store Li-Ion batteries at about 40 to 45% charge for maximum shelf life.

https://www.plugincars.com/eight-tips-extend-battery-life-your-electric-car-107938.html

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion
Yes, the 80% SOC is true; I have a ten years Samsung netbook and the battery range is still 2,5h, when I bought it I flagged the option "limit charge to 80%" in bios settings and the battery pack is still running even if the netbook is quite always plugged to the 220v.
Ok also for the other two links you've posted. Just for curiosity I checked other user manuals... The CRV hybrid user manual writes  the same words of the Jazz, Prius 2011 (Ni-MH battery) recommends to drive for 30 minutes if the car has been parked for several months... So they use the word SEVERAL, without writing a precise number as Honda. As I wrote before, a Prius (with about 100000miles) can stay parked for one year and easily start with a new 12v battery, without further problems for the HV battery. I think, better, I want to think that manufacturers want to stay safe so they recommends to frequently check and keep the HV battery charged, even if it could stay inoperative for much more time.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 01:49:52 PM »
It's possible that Honda's recommendation is because of the possible situation that the vehicle has been running on battery for the last part of its journey resulting in the battery having a low state of charge (and thus vulnerable to deterioration) before it gets parked.
This can surely be.
I'd love to know if the nominal 1kWh battery, which has to survive heavy charging and discharging, is actually a much higher capacity battery configured to operate in the middle of its charge range. Then, as the battery wears, it progressive encroaches on the unused part of the charge range in order to maintain the working capacity.
As far as I could read on tech specs, Prius NW20 mk2, tries to keep the SOC always between the 30% and 80% of the full capacity, and the full charge on the dash corresponds with the 80% on the battery pack. This is overtly for saving the battery lifespan.

Tags: