Author Topic: Washing with a Pressure Washer.  (Read 8218 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Washing with a Pressure Washer.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
I bought a Karcher pressure washer from Argos for £60. Before that I went to the local East European car wash who did an excellent job but I have already paid for the Karcher by doing it myself, which isn't very often. I gave up polishing cars after experimenting by polishing one side of the car and not the other, you couldn't tell the difference so I've saved on polish as well. I too use a microfibre clothe instead of a leather for drying off after washing.

Vic

Never been a fan of 'eastern European' car washes - the price charged is obviously even lower than UK minimum wage - they are normally a cover for illegal immigrants - maybe kept as white slaves by travellers...  There is one near to a local fuel station that I use,  and have seen police vans and cars there fairly regularly checking out the people working there.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
What scares me about them is the way they scrape the water off the paint with a plastic squeegee, makes me cringe
Let's be careful out there !

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
Never been a fan of 'eastern European' car washes - the price charged is obviously even lower than UK minimum wage - they are normally a cover for illegal immigrants - maybe kept as white slaves by travellers...  There is one near to a local fuel station that I use,  and have seen police vans and cars there fairly regularly checking out the people working there.

Funny you should say that, I went double wash last weekend because I was removing old wax. First gave it a usual wash and then drove it to big Tesco around the corner which has car wash run by Romanians, I guess more south-central than eastern Europe. I'm sad to report that they did absolutely lousy job, worst of all, re-used dirty rags between vehicles and I think I saw the guy drop the rag on the floor then pick it up and continue to use it!!!

On the other hand, I went once to local BP symbiotic wash and for £5 they did absolutely lovely job :)

Hit or miss in my experience, will continue to do it myself as long as my back will let me :)

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 03:32:01 PM »
What scares me about them is the way they scrape the water off the paint with a plastic squeegee, makes me cringe
It is actually a silicon rubber blade. I was thinking of getting one myself.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
I remember going to Tesco and one chap agreed to have his car washed.
When he came out they said finished and asked for the money.
He said " lovely job but that's not my car " he then got in to the car next to it and drove off  :)
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 04:41:56 PM »

I think they are OK but only if you re 100% certain there is no debris left after the final rinse. That said, I'd feel nervous about using one.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 06:57:37 PM »
I use a hand pressurised crop sprayer.
(Spear and Jackson brand with 5L tank.)
I have the self-same sprayer for weedkiller and wood treatment.

I have steel wheels so I spray the tyre and rim edge, plus the centre, but don't spray through the wheel.
I gave the rust a good spray but it is solid with nothing crumbling, so it all stayed in place.

I don't have a patio.

You are indirectly putting fungicide into the water supply as the washoff from the roof (incl fungicide) goes into teh storm drains  and ends up being extracted for water..

I am a n beekeeper and the effects of chemicals on insect life are bad  (catastrophic). The worst offenders are farmers and private individuals...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 11:55:35 AM »
By wood treatment I mean Ronseal water based paint, not fungicide. My wife is very bee orientated and won't let me use anything to harm them.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »
I too am old :( and still do a bit of detailing as I love the end result.
I can't use a machine polisher anymore my arms an Arthritis prevent me.

The quickest and easiest wash I found is to thoroughly spray the car all over using a  pump spray bottle filled with a mix of Optimum no rinse.
Using a bucket of water with the same solution and microfibre cloths, simply wipe the car all over with well wetted cloths, changing the sides frequently as you go then dry with a MF cloth or drying towel.
On the Jazz the whole wash takes 20 mins or 30 at leisure.

If you wish, use a spray wax or detail spray for a more glossy finish and to add some protection.

This method is particularly suited to anyone who can't get running water to the car and it keeps swirl marks to a minimum.

Harry

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 06:13:04 PM »
I used to use the two bucket method with Dodo Juice Rinseless Wash. An MF mitt then an MF towel. I too love the satisfaction of a nicely detailed car.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »
I know what you mean, but one bucket is more than enough these days ;D. have to admit my OCD regarding swirl marks has diminished with age though I take as much care as possible.
 Sadly cutting corners is essential now.

Harry

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »
I wash my car myself very seldomly, but when I do, I feel it takes too much work to use a pressure washer. You need to carry it out and connect all those hoses and cables, and all the same in reverse order after the work. It's much more convenient to get a garden hose and brush. I guess I am substituting the pressure with volume  ;D but it's OK as we have own drilled well. So there is no cost on using the water.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
I am more interested in washing the underside of the car, I know the wheel arches are better protected now than they ever were from crud building up, but a good wash underneath on a mild winter day and in spring is still worth doing ( with a garden hose - I am not gonna disturb the spiders living in the karcher washer LOL ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 10:19:36 AM »
Last time I gave it a wash I had the hose out for the garden so I just washed it with that. Don't have a brush to fit the hose (pressure washer fittings on my brush) but I used it unconnected. Our old hose reel is a real pain, whereas the pressure washer has a short large-bore easily managed hose. Still a guddle, but there is power and the pressure washer are just inside the garage door.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 10:35:38 AM »
I too am old :( and still do a bit of detailing as I love the end result.
I can't use a machine polisher anymore my arms an Arthritis prevent me.

The quickest and easiest wash I found is to thoroughly spray the car all over using a  pump spray bottle filled with a mix of Optimum no rinse.
Using a bucket of water with the same solution and microfibre cloths, simply wipe the car all over with well wetted cloths, changing the sides frequently as you go then dry with a MF cloth or drying towel.
On the Jazz the whole wash takes 20 mins or 30 at leisure.

If you wish, use a spray wax or detail spray for a more glossy finish and to add some protection.

This method is particularly suited to anyone who can't get running water to the car and it keeps swirl marks to a minimum.

Harry

I have used almost exactly this method from time to time. First time I used ONR on a dusty car the initial grabby sandpaper like feel spooked me out. I then started to use the pre spray method and what a difference. I am reasonably satisfied, both from my own experience and watching endless You Tube videos, that this is a very safe way to clean the car. If it was caked in mud I would hose/jet wash the worst off first but the urban life my car leads means this is a rarity.

I've got ONR wash and wax at the moment but, on balance, I think I prefer the wash and shine.

Tags:

anything