Author Topic: ventilation stinking badly  (Read 2110 times)

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
ventilation stinking badly
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
My 56 plate Honda Jazz has really started stinking in the last few weeks.  I need to service its as its done about 9k miles since the last service in Jan 2017 but just wondering what this can be.  Even if the air con is off, even if fan is off, the smell is foul. 

Can a rodent or something can caught and die inside something in the engine compartment that can make it stink so badly?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: ventilation stinking badly
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »
Can a rodent or something can caught and die inside something in the engine compartment that can make it stink so badly?
Could be, but it usually stems from bacteria. See this post: https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9906.msg59668#msg59668

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
If it smells a bit like antifreeze then it could be a small pinhole in the heater rad. Had that once in a car.

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
I have heard that failed CAT's smell like cat peeeeeeeee  :'(

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
Mine gets a bit of a dank smell every 6 months or so which I assume is bacteria in the ventilation tubes.
I usually remove the cabin pollen filter and spray Dettol aerosol into the fan (with the fan on) to blow it through vent tubes, seems to get rid of smell and, been doing that to cars for about last 15 years with no probs.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
My wife's Suzuki Splash smelt like it was running around full of sewage, it turned out to be the washer bottle water. disconnected from the washer jets and pumped it all out, refilled with fresh screen cleaner and back to smelling of roses or whatever they put in screen wash. If you've had the aircon on because of the recent hot weather can also be that. lots on youtube about how to make it all fresh again with the gubbins in Halfords to do it with.

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
My Mazda mx5 mk2 facelift had the same problem with the washer bottle heat from the engine changed the water to gunk took it off and power washed the inside hey presto no more smell. and cleaner then usual front screen

Tags: