Author Topic: The same old problem but even worse.  (Read 19638 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
The same old problem but even worse.
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:10:07 PM »
Dashboard reflections!!!!!!
I test drove a MK3 this afternoon and the reflection was even worse, if thats possible ,than on a MK2.
Dangerous !!!!!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: The same old problem but even worse.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »
Strange! I didn't have the problem with the mk1 and had my mk3 for 6 months and don't see a problem.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:33:13 PM »
I have had a black towel on the dashboard of my Mk2 for years. I have even suggested that it should be a Honda black towel.
Test driving the MK3 this afternoon was like driving in fog!!!. The refection was that bad.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:41:24 PM by edam »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:57:24 PM »
My Mk 3 has less reflected glare than my previous hybrid although I did notice some glare a few days ago when the sun was about 30 to 45 degrees to the left of the car's direction (the air vents at the bottom of the windscreen were very noticeable). However, that wasn't where I was looking to see the road ahead. The glare problem on the Mk 2 was exacerbated by the humps and dips over the instruments which resulted in glare with bright / dark patterns. The part of the Mk 3 is more uniform so such reflected glare as occurs is more uniform and easier to look through.

However, I think we ended the discussion about glare in another thread by concluding that the driver's seating position (and hence eyeball location) is a factor in the perceived glare so it is possible that, while the Mk 3 is better for some, it is worse for others. Dar coloured fabric covering is the obvious solution but what car manufacturer has done that?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
I agree about the humps and dips on the MK 2. That's where my towel sits.
I also a agree that the reflection is more uniform on the MK3 but as for it being easier to see through no way. As I said it was like driving in fog.
I think I read somewhere that a optician could alter my glasses somehow to make the reflection less noticeable. Something about the point of focus I believe. Thinking about it if the reflection is blurred would it make it harder to see through it.
 I will ring Specsavers tomorrow
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:25:43 PM by edam »

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:54:20 PM »
I hadn't noticed it until I cleaned the dashboard. Now it is nice and shiny so reflects more. It's like looking through a wire mesh. So tip, don't clean the dashboard.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
I like the "wire mesh" description

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:53 AM »
I think I read somewhere that a optician could alter my glasses somehow to make the reflection less noticeable. Something about the point of focus I believe. Thinking about it if the reflection is blurred would it make it harder to see through it.
 I will ring Specsavers tomorrow
Polarising lenses will cut out the glare. However, they do make everything darker so I wouldn't want to wear them continuously.

Clip-on flip-up polarising lenses clipped onto your normal spectacles can work well: Flip down if you are in sunshine and glare, flip up when it goes cloudy. A lot of these clip-ons have a pair of long legs which I find intrude on the forward vision. However, a few have a small clip which grips the bridge. An example of this is on the blackish green lens in the group photo at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polarized-UV-400-Lenses-Clip-on-Flip-up-Brown-Gray-Green-Yellow-Sunglasses-/181357365913? (however, the detailed photo of that pair have the chunky plastic clip so you will have to hunt elsewhere). The challenge with slip-ons is remember to put them on before you start driving.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
Well, I wear glasses, have done all my life, there is no special coating on the lens and i am of average height.
As I said previously I do not see what you are all going on about??????
Perhaps I am not as picky.  :-)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »
Try a wipe over with damp cloth, may improve matters.
Failing that step use a detailing dash cleaner which keeps matt finish eg Meguiars Autoglym etc etc

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »
As I said previously I do not see what you are all going on about??????

Same here, neither myself or my OH have noticed any reflections from the dashboard on our MK2 and we both drive it, I am over 6ft and my OH is only 5ft 4in.  ???
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:58:33 PM by Hobo »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 03:15:59 PM »
When I was driving a Mk3 demo yesterday it was like. as Paulwhitt20 said, looking through a wire mesh.
Its putting me off buying a MK3 as it was so bad.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:20:20 PM by edam »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
When I was driving a Mk3 demo yesterday it was like. as Paulwhitt20 said, looking through a wire mesh.
Its putting me off buying a MK3 as it was so bad.
Maybe someone at the dealers is being over-zealous in keeping the dashboard clean, even to the extent of putting on some polish without realising the consequences.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »
Only an issue in certain sunny conditions which I suspect will get worse during the summer months.  I can look through the reflections of speakers etc but the haze or fog effect due to general reflection is not good at all.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
Anti-reflective Glass

Reflections on the inside of the windscreen can disturb the visual comfort and concentration of the driver. This is compounded by current design trends that lean towards lighter dashboards that are more strongly reflected in the windscreen. Anti-reflective glass, which is treated with a special coating, can reduce these reflections by up to 40% at a reflective angle of 60 degrees, and also helps reduce glare,

http://www.glassforeurope.com/en/products/automotive-transport-glass-charateristics.php

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:09:42 PM by edam »

Tags: