Author Topic: Check tyre pressures  (Read 1725 times)

guest9814

Re: Check tyre pressures
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 05:34:46 PM »
Checked mine last weekend prior to a long-ish trip. All were down a few psi so got out the trusty footpump. Halfway through inflating one tyre, the fitting connecting the hose to the pump broke leaving air p*ssing out of the hose. I'd lost  a sizable chunk of the air in the tyre before I got it all disconnected. Grrr! With no footpump to top it up, I drove very gingerly to the nearest garage air line. Replacement inflator now on order (rechargeable electric one to take the effort out of it).

Only now, recounting the tale, do I remember the electric inflator that's still in the original packaging in the boot of the car!
But we have compressor supplied with car, this one we  that have can be used without puncture repair bootle as regular compressor, pretty silent, fast and with accurate pressure meter.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »
But we have compressor supplied with car, this one we  that have can be used without puncture repair bootle as regular compressor, pretty silent, fast and with accurate pressure meter.

Yes, quite right, so I could have used it. But see the second paragraph of my post. Guilty of a senior moment. Going forward, I prefer to have a cordless solution.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »
I had a screw on one many years ago and it was fine, but it broke.

I then bought a Michelin one about 7 or 8 years ago and I just couldn't remove it without losing loads of air.

Hopefully the Ring one is OK.

I have had a Michelin dual barrel footpump with screw on adaptor for many years now and it is fine, and the pressure gauge a decent size and pretty much spot-on with my Race-X gauge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VZ8S26/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest9814

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 06:39:19 PM »
Aaa, not read this post sorry, actually I use similar one from Xiaomi (now need batteries replacement)
and bezior portable https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bezior-Portable-Compressor-Inflator-Motorcycles/dp/B091BY73DZ
Only 2 problems with them - acumulators not last forever (they have lithium ion 18650 connected in series without balancing them, so after some time of use them get unbalanced so when one fully charged or overcharged second one still not have enough charge) and they slow in comparison with 12v compressors.
I using them without quick connector, only need to press compressor tube agains tyre air valve when unscrew to reduce pressure loss.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 07:14:45 PM »
I always have this one on board:

Ultimate Speed Mini Compressor, 12 V and only € 15.99 (Lidl) Does the job already for many, many years.
If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 08:28:36 PM »
That MPG loss is interesting as my recent fillup yielded 60.4mpg against the fibometer reading of 64mpg
Lower pressure results in lower tyre circumference so the wheels go round more and the odometer records a higher distance for the same number of physical miles.

Deflation Warning System (DWS) will detect if all 4 tyres lose pressure, it's not just if one loses it.

Its the change between the initialised value and current that triggers the warning, it also uses a signal from the ambient temperature sensor as well, so can have a level of compensation.
I'm struggling to understand how this works unless the vehicle has an alternative way of measuring distance travelled (eg GPS). Otherwise, if all tyres lose pressure equally then anything based on wheel rotation will not notice anything abnormal.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 10:22:52 PM »
If anyone uses Makita cordless tools, they do a very good 18V compressor. They also do a 12V version but it is somewhat underpowered by all accounts. If you have 18V tools and have the batteries and charger then the compressor is well worth the investment. I used to use a "portable" mains compressor/tank, charge it up with air and do the tyres round the car, but the cordless tool is way more convenient and works so well I rarely use the other, usually only when fitting new tyres and needing the quick rush to get the beads to seat.
If you don't have 18V Makita tools then nothing to see here, move along please!  ;D
https://makitauk.com/product/dmp180z

(as others say, tyre pressures going down as the weather gets colder is perfectly normal, if they all go down similar amounts, a few psi, then nothing to worry about).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 10:52:27 PM »
These come and go on Amazon but I like it.

Fast fit connector, auto cut-off and no power leads to mess with :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08KZSN79V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've checked it against my fairly expensive metal digital pressure gauge and it reads 0.5psi high so I compensate.
That is what I use, Superb. And you can charge your mobile phone from it!

Kremmen. How do you switch on the torch? In my house move, I lost the instructions,  :(

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2021, 05:17:04 AM »
I've never used the torch function. Didn't know it was there.

The U turn button next to the on off - press and hold for 3 seconds after the unit is on.
Let's be careful out there !

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2021, 02:47:55 PM »

I've used it. The dial is tiny and not accurate. Getting all the cables back in the case is a major hassle.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 03:25:14 PM »
The hassle of manoeuvring the unit round each wheel whilst needing it to be plugged in by the gearstick is what prompted me to look for a cordless version.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: